With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

5 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

As for players that are no committed to the club, if we never played those no committed to the club about half our first team would be missing.

Could never criticise young gilmour for taking the opportunity of potentially earning ten times what he might earn up here.

That's a bit detrimental to the first team I know some want away and Goldson won't sign a deal but I would not say half the team want out, most of our team are currently at the biggest club they will ever represent.

They may kid on they are better than this league but I feel many are not.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I’d rather see what Kelly has to offer than bring gilmour back but after pre-season he hasn’t had a sniff which makes me think he isn’t up to it or at the very least the management don’t rate him or don’t want to take the gamble (they won’t even gamble playing bacuna)

Same here we seem really scared to blood our own players. What happened to this pathway to the first team we used to hear about?

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Of course I do. The kid is an immense talent and his work rate is better than anyone in the current team. We can't afford to buy a top midfielder so Gilmour makes sense from a 4 month cost factor to get us to the group stage win fall.

And anytime he's starred for chelsea etc, has he played in a system where most of his teammates are either behind him or tok the side of him

Our guys work rate isnt the issue, its the system, any of our midfield 3 pick the ball up and they see at least 6 or 7 opponents and 3 teammates in front of them, pretty much all doubled up

9 minutes ago, Smile said:

Same here we seem really scared to blood our own players.

It’s always harder for the old firm, you have to take a punt with these players and run the risk of upsetting the fans if you drop points with them in the team. Sometimes your hand gets forced, like imagine Tav got a broken leg, Patterson would be in for an extended period of time because he has to be and would grow and improve. Without a situation like that he won’t get a runlike that and his progress is hampered.

For Kelly I have no idea how many would have to be injured/suspended before he got a look in, it’s a shame as for years he looked like he could make the grade, guess we’re unlikely to know although he is contracted to 2023 iirc.

2 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

It’s always harder for the old firm, you have to take a punt with these players and run the risk of upsetting the fans if you drop points with them in the team. Sometimes your hand gets forced, like imagine Tav got a broken leg, Patterson would be in for an extended period of time because he has to be and would grow and improve. Without a situation like that he won’t get a ru.n like that and his progress is hampered.

For Kelly I have no idea how many would have to be injured/suspended before he got a look in, it’s a shame as for years he looked like he could make the grade, guess we’re unlikely to know although he is contracted to 2023 iirc.

I thought Kelly did well in Pre-Season so did Itten actually he was shipped off and Kelly never gets a game.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

I thought Kelly did well in Pre-Season so did Itten actually he was shipped off and Kelly never gets a game.

Must be hard to be motivated if you aren’t in the main group since even if you do well enough in the chances you do get you still don’t get a fair shot.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Must be hard to be motivated if you aren’t in the main group since even if you do well enough in the chances you do get you still don’t get a fair shot.

It's not new at Rangers sometimes you think what is the point of the youth system at all as we seem to just buy players to play and never involve our young players.

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

It's not new at Rangers sometimes you think what is the point of the youth system at all as we seem to just buy players to play and never involve our young players.

Warburton and Gerrard both made a point about pathway to the first team but it looks again like hollow words…..same with mccrorie, pushed into 2 massive games and kept 2 clean sheets and his reward? Back to being 3rd choice.

7 minutes ago, Smile said:

Mental to think we have a young boy who could potentially move in January for upwards of 10m and by all accounts is doing well for his national team yet cannot and will not get proper run in our team. Being honest who could blame him for wanting a move either because he's certainly not going to get it here and he's never going to improve sitting in a bench almost every week

Just now, NeoGeo7 said:

Warburton and Gerrard both made a point about pathway to the first team but it looks again like hollow words…..same with mccrorie, pushed into 2 massive games and kept 2 clean sheets and his reward? Back to being 3rd choice.

Yes, McCrorie was a bit of a sickener must have really got to the player after doing so well. The pathway nonsense just sems to be football speak that the media want to here rather than any actual pathway for the young players.

Just now, rabc10000 said:

Mental to think we have a young boy who could potentially move in January for upwards of 10m and by all accounts is doing well for his national team yet cannot and will not get proper run in our team. Being honest who could blame him for wanting a move either because he's certainly not going to get it here and he's never going to improve sitting in a bench almost every week

I actually think he will be away in January he will want to play football and in a better league I cant see him currently get much game time at all.

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

That’s just the nature of top-tier youth setups though. The whole structure basically exists at any given time to identify and develop 1-2 standouts and that gets even harder when the richest European clubs can hoard exceptional talent (like Gilmour). It seems implausible but the economics of it work. For example, we’ve already reinvested in the academy this season on the strength of Patterson’s estimated value (benchmarked against the firm interest from Everton). If Gilmour hadn’t been snapped-up by Chelsea and we had Patterson and Gilmour to show for the last 5-10 years, that would be a very successful outcome, economically and in footballing terms (as rubbish as that sounds). When you consider we might’ve also found our future #1 GK for 5+ years in McCrorie, that’s probably beyond our academy’s expectations. 

11 minutes ago, rangersross said:

That’s just the nature of top-tier youth setups though. The whole structure basically exists at any given time to identify and develop 1-2 standouts and that gets even harder when the richest European clubs can hoard exceptional talent (like Gilmour). It seems implausible but the economics of it work. For example, we’ve already reinvested in the academy this season on the strength of Patterson’s estimated value (benchmarked against the firm interest from Everton). If Gilmour hadn’t been snapped-up by Chelsea and we had Patterson and Gilmour to show for the last 5-10 years, that would be a very successful outcome, economically and in footballing terms (as rubbish as that sounds). When you consider we might’ve also found our future #1 GK for 5+ years in McCrorie, that’s probably beyond our academy’s expectations. 

It seems a lot goes into it for very little reward in the long run. I think it always gives supporters a lift to see a player who's managed to come through at Rangers but I guess now the real rewards are down in the EPL for most players in terms of wages and standard of football.

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

The Gerrard effect, mainly why we lost alot of our top prospects to English academies this summer.

Doesn't give youth a chance never mind an extended run.

November is when he's going to feel it, I've no confidence for Sunday v Motherwell, can see it now, us getting bullied and 2nd to everything because teams can smell the shitebaggery from some of our overpaid league 1 standard players.

We are missing a proper Rangers man type captain, goldson and barasic should both have went in August, I'd be touting them to clubs now for January.

Goldson the undroppable will be allowed to stumble this shite unless gerrards forced out come Christmas, right now I believe we haven't got the drive, determination required. I really can see us down and out by Christmas.

I've zero confidence in some of those players, some of whom the Jersey is far too heavy and that they are of not the required fit to play for our club.

He needs to change it by dropping guys wayy out of form......tav has been no where near the levels since he came back from injury tail 3nd of last year, Patterson should be used farrrr more often than he is.

Goldson has also been a shadow while Balogun has been a nervous wreck for me.

Morelos and Roofe can't play together and add in Hagi we have ZERO pace up front.

We lack clear creativity in midfield due to lack of pace on the wings atm.

Also Stevie G simply has to change things when it isn't working. Against Aberdeen Brown was so deep and I between his 2 central defenders......we needed Sakala to exploit thst space at start of 2nd half. I'd also add its a miracle Morelos wasn't sent off as he kept falling for that Pricks constant jibes.

The good thing is we are still top while clearly playing poorly but the issues the other night should have been dealt with quickly.....Wright and Sakala should have been on sooner than 13 mins to go, it might just have creates more openings.

1 minute ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Get Algeria in the first team squad. Morelos is our only number 9 but rarely hangs about the penalty box.

Defoe isn’t featuring. Sakala is used as a wide man as is Roofe. Itten away.

I’d have said he’s not ready physically but the guy is a unit.

I think Morelos knows he’s the only striker and isn’t getting pushed, when he and defoe were scoring every other week it kept him on his toes but his starting place is assured week in and week out so I reckon there is complacency creeping in.

And have to add, a lot imo wrongly criticise him but we badly miss Kent.

Since he's been at our club he is the ONLY player capable of causing panic to the opposition with his touch and pace.....simply not having him on the pitch is hurting our creativity that his inclusion creates

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Wondered how long it would be before the give youth a chance argument started getting rolled out.

Always been a cliched idea which is pitched on here as a potential solution to a bad result or two.

You mean 4 solid months of BAD results and not 1 90 min performance of control, attacking and assured display.

1 minute ago, falkirkNS said:

You mean 4 solid months of BAD results and not 1 90 min performance of control, attacking and assured display.

We are top of the league with one defeat in the league all season. We aren’t playing well but suddenly throwing a bunch of kids in isn’t going to be what turns it around. It’s fantastical birthday card pish. 

7 hours ago, DBBTB said:

We are top of the league with one defeat in the league all season. We aren’t playing well but suddenly throwing a bunch of kids in isn’t going to be what turns it around. It’s fantastical birthday card pish. 

We are top of the league courtesy of a helander header at home to the tarriers, even then we have dropped more points outwith the OF game than they have, and they are meant to be in a transitional stage and we have a settled team 

Gerrard has tried everyone of our first team squad this season, we haven't played well yet for the full game bar maybe bronby

No one is aaking for the colt full team to be promoted, but maybe one or two youths given a shot will throw a rocket up the arses of the ones who are dropped and the rest as well, and if it doesnt so that then these guys go, sell them, drop them, whatever

10 hours ago, Smile said:

So he's struggling and not getting a game maybe he's not good enough to make the next step.

Why bring a player who was not committed to Rangers even after coming through the academy who cant get a game for Norwich how will that improve us?

Hes made his bed , fuck him.......

12 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Hes made his bed , fuck him.......

I totally understand that argument but if we used that then Shagger and Davis wouldn’t be back and they have been probably our most important players under Gerrard. I don’t know if the boy Gilmour would come back here on loan but I think he is one of Scotlands best young prospects along with Patterson and adding him would improve us and by God we need improving. He also know what we’re about. It seems he’s lost his way a bit over the last year and it could help both sides. 

Alex Ferguson said a few weeks ago talking about Man Utd, “always play your strongest team”. I think this sudden need to rotate players has affected us this season. We don’t look settled. We didn’t know Helander would be injured but letting Katic and Itten go on loan was a mistake. Also I think using our squad to preserve shape and balance is more important than shoehorning in favoured players. For example, we all know that guys like Brandon Barker are not great players but when required ie Kent injured means we can set up in essentially the same way without shoehorning players into positions on the left not natural to them. We did that better last season when we had to…guys like Barker, Itten and Jordan Jones made really important contributions in games where we were struggling or had injuries even though they were poor overall. Our squad itself is weaker than last season and the way Gerrard has used it has been wrong. I don’t think massive changes are needed. Yes we need some players back from injury but we need to reset towards the focus and style that we did so well last season.