With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

1 minute ago, DrLaudrup said:

I totally understand that argument but if we used that then Shagger and Davis wouldn’t be back and they have been probably our most important players under Gerrard. I don’t know if the boy Gilmour would come back here on loan but I think he is one of Scotlands best young prospects along with Patterson and adding him would improve us and by God we need improving. He also know what we’re about. It seems he’s lost his way a bit over the last year and it could help both sides. 

Alex Ferguson said a few weeks ago talking about Man Utd, “always play your strongest team”. I think this sudden need to rotate players has affected us this season. We don’t look settled. We didn’t know Helander would be injured but letting Katic and Itten go on loan was a mistake. Also I think using our squad to preserve shape and balance is more important than shoehorning in favoured players. For example, we all know that guys like Brandon Barker are not great players but when required ie Kent injured means we can set up in essentially the same way without shoehorning players into positions on the left not natural to them. We did that better last season when we had to…guys like Barker, Itten and Jordan Jones made really important contributions in games where we were struggling or had injuries even though they were poor overall. Our squad itself is weaker than last season and the way Gerrard has used it has been wrong. I don’t think massive changes are needed. Yes we need some players back from injury but we need to reset towards the focus and style that we did so well last season. 

We have Kamara , Davis and Lundstram who can back pass and side pass all week , we dont need another one.

Gilmours biggest mistake so far in his career is leaving us , for whatever reason , he wouldnt be near the club if it was down to me.

We have a bigger problem in Patterson , the boy could easily be persuaded to leave in January as hes never going to get a run of games in the side under Gerrard IMO.......

For me Gerrard needs to go back to playing with fast wide men and keeping width, when they get the ball give them a free reign to go down the line or cut in. 

My team with who's available would be:

McGregor 

Patterson Goldson  Balogun  Bassey

Lundstram Kamara 

Aribo/hagi

Sakala                                     wright

Morelos/Roofe 

2 positions I was unsure of but if 1 isn't doing it play the other. 

21 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I honestly think it's a tactical switch. 

Outside of wanting to conserve energy, I don't know why it's been dropped.

I don't think these players are going fuck it let's just drop back. Imagine coaching staff would be going off on one if they didn't follow instructions to the letter.

You could be right although I just get te impression all of them were buying into it last season and a few of them aren't now.

I don't know what age you are but I always remember Kanchelskis at old trafford and how he really hit the ground running when he first signed but SAF sold him on because he could see in him that the football was not longer the most important thing. With him it was probably money but it doesn't have to be that and whatever it is managers always have to know when is the right time to freshen things up and I wonder if SG showed his lack of experience by keeping players who had reached the top of their particular hill at Ibrox?

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

You could be right although I just get te impression all of them were buying into it last season and a few of them aren't now.

I don't know what age you are but I always remember Kanchelskis at old trafford and how he really hit the ground running when he first signed but SAF sold him on because he could see in him that the football was not longer the most important thing. With him it was probably money but it doesn't have to be that and whatever it is managers always have to know when is the right time to freshen things up and I wonder if SG showed his lack of experience by keeping players who had reached the top of their particular hill at Ibrox?

I think that’s a really good point but we are hamstring by circumstances. Back in the day we could move someone on and bring in someone else of real quality. Man U can bin off a player and spend 50mil bringing in someone else. We can no longer do that and it forces us to persevere with players perhaps longer than we would have historically. 

8 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

We have Kamara , Davis and Lundstram who can back pass and side pass all week , we dont need another one.

Gilmours biggest mistake so far in his career is leaving us , for whatever reason , he wouldnt be near the club if it was down to me.

We have a bigger problem in Patterson , the boy could easily be persuaded to leave in January as hes never going to get a run of games in the side under Gerrard IMO.......

Hahahahaahahaha even for you that is a belter.

He's already secured his and his families future for the rest of their life aged 20. 'Mistake' FFS

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Hahahahaahahaha even for you that is a belter.

He's already secured his and his families future for the rest of their life aged 20. 'Mistake' FFS

Your right its hardly a mistake when you are raking in loads more cash , as thats all that matters to most folk these days. Football wise it was the wrong move , he was never good enough for Chelsea , and now he struggles to get a game for the worst team in the league......

Just now, sassaaaa said:

Your right its hardly a mistake when you are raking in loads more cash , as thats all that matters to most folk these days. Football wise it was the wrong move , he was never good enough for Chelsea , and now he struggles to get a game for the worst team in the league......

You think he should have stayed with us, bearing in mind we were being managed by Pedro Caixinha and competing with Hibs for third?

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

You think he should have stayed with us, bearing in mind we were being managed by Pedro Caixinha and competing with Hibs for third?

Whats happening with him now shows exactly why he should never have left.

Just my opinion.......

10 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We are top of the league courtesy of a helander header at home to the tarriers, even then we have dropped more points outwith the OF game than they have, and they are meant to be in a transitional stage and we have a settled team 

Gerrard has tried everyone of our first team squad this season, we haven't played well yet for the full game bar maybe bronby

No one is aaking for the colt full team to be promoted, but maybe one or two youths given a shot will throw a rocket up the arses of the ones who are dropped and the rest as well, and if it doesnt so that then these guys go, sell them, drop them, whatever

To be fair, I appreciate everything you say re: form but the reply to your point about us only being 2 points ahead is that we’re only 2 points ahead instead of 4 because a last minute header by Halkett.

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Just my opinion.......

Would his career have been better if he had turned down the reigning Premier League champions to stay at us and fight it out with Hibs for 3rd whilst being managed by Pedro Caixinha?

Yes or no.

2 minutes ago, BigDak said:

To be fair, I appreciate everything you say re: form but the reply to your point about us only being 2 points ahead is that we’re only 2 points ahead instead of 4 because a last minute header by Halkett.

No its because we failed to finish off hearts and allowed them back into the game, tarriers were 3 up in a half hour wed night, games done and dusted, no worrying no panicking, even after hibs scored they werent anywhere near dropping points, 

Bronby aside, when was the last time we had more than a goal lead going into the final stages of the game? Think it was maybe county away (and we were fucking duff that day as well) 

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

Would his career have been better if he had turned down the reigning Premier League champions to stay at us and fight it out with Hibs for 3rd whilst being managed by Pedro Caixinha?

Yes or no.

Who knows , but he would now be playing in our first team and learning his trade.

You think hes thinking it was a great move now , whilst sitting on the worst team in the leagues bench ?

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Mind Kent could be back for Hearts game.

Still missing Tomorrow :lol:

If Gerrard told me it was Friday today i’d check the top of the paper.

Just read the match thread and said similar.  Strung along like a bunch of idiots. 

1 minute ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Just read the match thread and said similar.  Strung along like a bunch of idiots. 

Patronising us.

Same with the nonsense today, we’ve only lost one game in 50 matches. That is obviously correct but if we keep drawing matches then we’ll still not win the league.

8 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Who knows , but he would now be playing in our first team and learning his trade.

You think hes thinking it was a great move now , whilst sitting on the worst team in the leagues bench ?

Answer my question.

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I dont see his hesitation in trying to use wingers, the highest scoring team in the league use them, wether we like it or not, they are battering teams every game

Once Kent went out Wright should have been playing. Having a guy that runs and dribbles at a defence can make a team play 20/30 yards deeper.

People think these teams just sit in on us constantly but more and more teams are happy to take us on in midfield which for a few years has been the way to get at us or them.

It also means that throughout the game we can get to the byline more often and get balls across the box.

40 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Just my opinion.......

What, learning his trade and getting valuable experience with regular EPL football? Some mistake that is.

28 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No its because we failed to finish off hearts and allowed them back into the game, tarriers were 3 up in a half hour wed night, games done and dusted, no worrying no panicking, even after hibs scored they werent anywhere near dropping points, 

Bronby aside, when was the last time we had more than a goal lead going into the final stages of the game? Think it was maybe county away (and we were fucking duff that day as well) 

Can’t disagree. Our form has been pish and while we all know what they’re not doing right I don’t think we have a reason for it. They all look completely bereft of confidence and ideas.

10 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We are top of the league courtesy of a helander header at home to the tarriers, even then we have dropped more points outwith the OF game than they have, and they are meant to be in a transitional stage and we have a settled team 

Gerrard has tried everyone of our first team squad this season, we haven't played well yet for the full game bar maybe bronby

No one is aaking for the colt full team to be promoted, but maybe one or two youths given a shot will throw a rocket up the arses of the ones who are dropped and the rest as well, and if it doesnt so that then these guys go, sell them, drop them, whatever

Kelly looked very composed and confident in the little Ive seen of him.