With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

And this is where we have ended up. 

And no doubt if we had sold a Kamara, Morelos or Kent in the Summer the people like you who are moaning that we didn’t sell anybody in the Summer would have been complaining if we had sold one or two.

We aren’t playing well just now, and we should have sold a player to allow us to bring a few more in, but it’s very easy to say what we should have done after the fact.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

4 at back, 3 defensive midfielders and a reliance on the front 3 to score goals.

In the fucking SPL - embarrassing.

An Australian brought in from Japan treats this league with the contempt it deserves.

Angeball rising like a Phoenix from the flames....

Tactics are lost with Kent to lead the press up front. Relying on Hagi (zero pace) Roofe (see Hagi comment) and Aribo to press up front and Alfie just looks like he cant be bothered to press at all. Once the opposition get beyond the front press, guys like Lundstram and Davis dont have  real energy to get around the midfield and close down space and our defence look like they are just one touch away from making a mistake.  He needs Kent and Jack back in the side ASAP, also would consider Sakala before Roofe purely to utilize his pace to lead the line. He may not be the most technical but if he started running channels and stretched the opposition back four we might get more space in the middle.

Tav needs a spell on the sidelines, yeah he got another dead ball assist and scored the penalty but that just papers over the cracks, this season so far he looks slow (more so when he has been skinned) defending has been pretty woeful at times and his wayward passing and heavy touches are driving me insane, he looks a shadow of last seasons player (although he is not alone) as the captain on the pitch I wonder if his poor form is having a effect on other players who expect more from him.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

And no doubt if we had sold a Kamara, Morelos or Kent in the Summer the people like you who are moaning that we didn’t sell anybody in the Summer would have been complaining if we had sold one or two.

We aren’t playing well just now, and we should have sold a player to allow us to bring a few more in, but it’s very easy to say what we should have done after the fact.

Probably right mate but at least a player needs to go in January. Bank some money and freshen up squad with rest.

Issue i have is i wouldn’t trust Gerrard or Wilson with the money.

Gerrard needs to grow a set and drop his captain! Iv always backed Tav but seriously.. 

Sounds harsh considering he had a goal and an assist tonight but I’d be confident in saying that Patterson would have thrown a decent cross in at some point & Alfie could score from the spot! 

He costs us so much defensively! He was slow at the first goal with the player coming in from wide. (Albeit the goal wasn’t his fault, he could have prevented it by being nor aware however).

No explanation needed for the second. 

There also seems to be a massive lack of intensity in our play both on & off the ball!.. Is that down to complacency? I dunno but needs addressed! 

We've got a good enough squad to walk this.

Like I said in the match thread we have nobody to really rattle the squad and drag us through.

Tav is spent. He's living on last season. 

It feels like I'm watching him and Goldson always falling out offer each other's fuck ups.

We badly miss Kent. 

Sleepwalked into a title race.

Probably right mate but at least a player needs to go in January. Bank some money and freshen up squad with rest.

I agree with all of that. I don’t know if I would trust Wilson or Gerrard with the money, I also don’t think January is the best time to be signing players either.

Nobody is going to pony up money for these players in their current form. Not the type of money the board will be asking for. Even then by January it might be too late.

Just now, DBBTB said:

I agree with all of that. I don’t know if I would trust Wilson or Gerrard with the money, I also don’t think January is the best time to be signing players either.

Agree again but the definition of insanity etc.

we are absolutely crying out for a centre half, a playmaker and a quality Attacking midfielder.

SG is far too loyal to his favourites that are simply not performing and needs to be more ruthless imo. All players should be fighting for their lives every game.

We’re too timid in attack, boring crosses into the box, not taking pot shots at goal. We had 3 shots on target tonight, 3.

Bloody depressing. 

I'm not blaming him solely, but Tav needs dropped for starters. I don't know if something is going on with him off the pitch, but his whole demeanour is different this season. He's looking lethargic and not 100% committed or focussed, and I think it's spreading to the rest of the squad. Admittedly, at times, he did look better tonight, and he had massive balls to go up for that penalty....but he's still miles off last seasons form. 

Patterson is a must to start games, and we need to play with a flat back four until we can learn how to break teams down. We're far too exposed at the back. 

I also think Gerrard made a total cunt of it in the transfer window. Not keeping Katic and Itten was wrong.....and I just can't see what Sakala brings that Itten didn't. Bacuna also doesn't seem to be the answer yet either. 

It's a worrying spell, and I think the board have some serious thinking to do. We badly need to cash in on one of our top assets and reinvest in the squad.....and need to do it in January!  

3 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Gerrard needs to grow a set and drop his captain! Iv always backed Tav but seriously.. 

Sounds harsh considering he had a goal and an assist tonight but I’d be confident in saying that Patterson would have thrown a decent cross in at some point & Alfie could score from the spot! 

He costs us so much defensively! He was slow at the first goal with the player coming in from wide. (Albeit the goal wasn’t his fault, he could have prevented it by being nor aware however).

No explanation needed for the second. 

There also seems to be a massive lack of intensity in our play both on & off the ball!.. Is that down to complacency? I dunno but needs addressed! 

I don’t think we’re allowed to slate Tav on this forum. But I agree with every word!

14 minutes ago, GaryMc said:

Stop being a shitebag scared to take risks. We are literally a set piece team right now which is embarrassing considering we're the champions. 

This all season long!! We need to mix things up and play the risky passes around the opposition box. 

The plain truth of the matter is that we’re missing an in form Ryan Kent. He’s the only player we have who can really make something out of nothing and he has real pace. At the moment we’re a hard watch and the tactics are simply not working. Teams have sussed us out and we’re incredibly slow and ponderous. Thank fuck the Tarriers started the season so shite, or we’d be ell behind them. It’s time for the management and players to get their finger out before it’s too late. I’ve been saying since August that it’s ok because we would hit form soon, I’m not so sure now. 

The problem is what is available. The old adage is strengthening when on top but we have not. The signing fro January onwards have not strengthened the squad and there is little on the bench to give hope that games can be changed. But the mystery for me is why there is no pressing, little or no attempt to win lost possession, why the pedestrian pace and reluctance to pass forward or pass quickly.