With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

28 minutes ago, skinnymate1690 said:

It’s time for him to go, the crowds are back and we’ve turned to shit again.

we can’t get rid of the squad so it’s time for someone with fresh ideas. He doesn’t seem willing or able to change it 

1690 in yir username isn’t going to save you. 

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

For a start - Drop Tav.
Give Patterson a run. 
move Balagun to left back, call back Katic 

Don’t play Aribo and Kamara together our midfield has absolutely no dig and is toothless 

Our squad depth is shite, there’s absolutely no chance of Sakala or Wright becoming starters, they are not even very good impact subs ffs. 

Gerrard has stopped playing our LB and RB high up the pitch with them being used like wingers. There was more than one occasion tonight Tav, Bassey didn’t take to their heels, preferring to check inside or back. This used to be our most dangerous attacking option. He’s stopped that for some reason. Meaning our LB /RB have to become traditional defenders which they are clearly not very good at. 

our defence is a fucking circus. 

Balogun to LB? What? Also we can’t call Katic back.

1 minute ago, islanderbear84 said:

Time he dropped Goldson. If he doesn't want to sign a contract then his hearts not in it and we need players willing to be here through thick and thin. Plus he is playing fucking shite.

Time to also drop tav. He is not captain material, not vocal, makes mistakes then blames others and can't defend for shite. Patterson has youth pace and bravery on his side. 

Until Gerrard drops the pals act and does whats best for the team, we will continue to play with no heart.

Who plays instead of Goldson? Simpson?

There's plenty in that squad but I don't think they're being used correctly.

Even a small thing tonight with one player could have changed us tonight and that was Joe Aribo.

We start him off the right and that is fine when he's in the final third with Tav overlapping. It's caused teams all sorts of hassle. Tonight we had him covering Tav while he was forward, Lundstram or Kamara doing the same for Bassey on the other side so one (Lundstram or Kamara) was spare doing nothing. It gave Aberdeen an extra man in the midfield and an extra man defensively.

Push Aribo further forward with Lundstram and Kamara sitting with Goldson & Balogun and the dynamic of our team changes.

We double up on the Aberdeen wingback forcing McCrorie to come and help. This then leaves Roofe and Alfie one on one each with Bates & Brown. It also means everytime Aberdeen were committing three or four guys to press one area we can easily switch it to the other in one or two passes.

One simple thing and he doesn't even have to change the line up.

Edit - Also if you start Aribo higher up the park we would have been able to press Aberdeen's back 3. Keeping them in their own half and far away from our goal!

Just now, andyhrfc said:

Too slow in possession. Take too many touches before moving the ball on.

Too slow closing down opponents.

Generally lethargic all over the pitch. 

There must be a really high percentage of the time we have with the ball where we actually do fuck all with it. Same recycled shite over and over 

10 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

I actually don't know. 

We've definitely become too predictable and there is no balance in our side now. 

It's almost American Football-esq in terms of an offence and defence with absolutely nothing in between. The other major issue is we have nobody playing well. 

It's frankly a miracle that we're top of the League but sadly I don't see that lasting much longer. 

That's quite a good observation, yeah

I think the irony is we have chopped and changed every single fucking game this season. It's a huge part of the problem.

Goalkeepers in and out, centre backs changing. Full backs changing. The central three different every week, the front three rotated every week. 

As I said in the match thread, passes are constantly played behind players so they have to slow or stop to adjust and the momentum bleeds out of our attacks. Then we play slow and soft, no confidence or grit to try the difficult passes at the right times under adversity. We used to have some excellent patterns of play to open teams up wide down the flanks or inside channels but it doesn't happen anymore. 

Big mistake not freshening up in the summer too, as much as we wanted to keep the squad together I think most people expected one or two to go.

Hope I'm wrong, I want to back the guys for the season - they earned it after last year - but it's difficult with what's been served up this season.

I do not expect us to be top of the table come Sunday evening. 

7 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Who plays instead of Goldson? Simpson?

This is where the decision to let Katic go was insane but we need to replace the likes of Goldson in January. He's that unfocused on the game at the moment that I'd take a punt on one of the B team centre half's 

6 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

And no attacking from our LB RB positions.  

it’s definitely changed, he’s definitely changed how we play. 

cautious, back and forth don’t loose possession shite looking football 

Every team now knows we play it out from the goalie. Aberdeen just pushed up and pressed this and we gave them 2 free hits from errors. Pick the bloody ball up goalie and boot it.

Don't side pass, beat a man and play it forward. This obsession to play it forward from defence is killing us as you leave it to defending minding players to start attacks.

The frustrating thing for me is that we have regressed to the season where they won 9. We haven't built on 55. The players we have signed have not improved us. Yes we have injuries but we should not be persisting playing people out of form or unwilling to commit. We will not win 56 this season unless there is a significant change in performance or changes are made. 

16 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

1690 in yir username isn’t going to save you. 

Aye very good.

I don’t think he will change it and I don't think he’s capable of changing it. 

saying he should go is a step far , I’ll admit that . But there’s 30 million on the line this season and we’re getting worse. 

19 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Wet pitch tonight and we are passing the ball like it's a meadow with six inches of grass on the top. Aberdeen fizzed the ball about with pace on every ball.

Maddening watching teams come to Ibrox like that with a bit of purpose to their play while ours is like being stoned watching your Mum have a go at FIFA.

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Because the question was “with what we have now”

Even out of position he would be better than the useless Bassey and Barasic 

I know what the question is. 

In what way does Balogun at left back fix our shite left back problem? Apart from 'loads of teams play a right footed player at left back'. Trippier only plays the odd game for England at left back, other than he's on the right. 

Frankly I've no confidence in our management team doing anything positive to turn our form around.   We have been poor to awful since the start of the season.  As someone else remarked, it's a wonder that we are actually still top.  We are supposed to be a club bringing in good prospects, improving them, getting good performances from them and then selling on at a profit.   We haven't done that with a single player since Gerrard and his backroom staff took over.  We should have sold some players in the summer and refreshed the squad.  Instead we have brought in flops and will struggle to sell them to anyone.   Our player values will drop with every bad result and performance.  

The club, and I suppose principally Ross Wilson, needed to make brave decisions in the summer. The core of our squad - Tavernier, Barisic, Morelos - had already been together for a while. When you build something special with a group like that in sport, you almost always have to make changes after you achieve the ‘big goal’, or complacency and lethargy are very likely to set in. It’s hard to motivate people to go for a hill walk the day after they’ve scaled Everest. It’s going to take a lot to get these players over the line now because I think the issues are essentially mental. It’s the players’ fault, basically, but I think the only practical solution in the short term is a coaching change to inject some new ideas or energy. We’re not going to change things ourselves so maybe something like Beale moving on (if the reported interest from Cardiff has any substance) would be good for us, provided we replaced him with a coach with a very different approach. Equally, Beale leaving might be awful for us, so I really don’t know.