With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Wet pitch tonight and we are passing the ball like it's a meadow with six inches of grass on the top. Aberdeen fizzed the ball about with pace on every ball.

Maddening watching teams come to Ibrox like that with a bit of purpose to their play while ours is like being stoned watching your Mum play FIFA.

:lol: :lol: 

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Bring Billy Gilmour home in January for 4 months.

It clearly isn't working at Norwich and he is exactly the energy we need in midfield.

Who’s the other young one in b team we signed from Man U get him in too 

we can’t carry on going how we are 

We can’t drop goldson because there’s no one to take his place,bassey is no better than a poor barasic ,hagi is a luxury we can’t afford as he is so one paced it’s embarrassing. Gerrard is absolutely clueless and is either unwilling or unable to change a system that every team in the country has sussed how to combat and his use of substitutes is most often bizarre.

Fuck knows but its well past the time him and his backroom army got their collective fingers out, identify the problems and get them sorted. We have been shite since the start of the season and if truth be told plenty of games last season when we were doing just enough, well just enough wont cut it Im afraid, couldnt care less about our current league position because looking at our next set of fixtures we could be in real trouble.

4 minutes ago, rangersross said:

The club, and I suppose principally Ross Wilson, needed to make brave decisions in the summer. 

I have no faith in Ross Wilson at all.

I think the only practical solution in the short term is a coaching change to inject some new ideas or energy. We’re not going to change things ourselves so maybe something like Beale moving on (if the reported interest from Cardiff has any substance) would be good for us, provided we replaced him with a coach with a very different approach.

I think that would be a good shout.

2 hours ago, Dickie1963 said:

He changes the way we play. That was slow. Pedantic. Awful to watch. In fact painful to watch.

Get pace and width in the team from somewhere.

Bassey gave their right back a torrid first half an hour. Git him booked and then .....

Too much width in the side and full backs clinging to the touch line. Never a pass played inside.

4 minutes ago, Dickie said:

We can’t drop goldson because there’s no one to take his place,bassey is no better than a poor barasic ,hagi is a luxury we can’t afford as he is so one paced it’s embarrassing. Gerrard is absolutely clueless and is either unwilling or unable to change a system that every team in the country has sussed how to combat and his use of substitutes is most often bizarre.

Goldson should have been given an ultimatum at the end of last season, either sign a contract or find a new club (preferably the latter for me).  I'd have sold Hagi and Kamara.   I'd never have signed Simpson and Bassey.  Nor would I have signed Lundstram, Bacuna, Ofoborh.  The on-loan Itten doesn't fit our style of play so no wonder he's out on loan..  No idea what position Sakala is meant to be but he is no  substitute for Morelos.  The squad needed to be refreshed  and that didn't happen.  We have missed a great opportunity and Ross Wilson and others are responsible.  Tonight's result isn't the reason for this post, it could have been said weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Charlie McCann 

That’s the one ☝️ 

no cunt in their challenging is there 

easy street for the midfield play shite will still play

The other thing to remember Is this season it’s

just 3 subs last season we could do 5 and made a difference I think  

2 minutes ago, tm91 said:

What we need is a bit of Walter-esque pragmatism. What we're doing isn't working. We need to change. 

Tactics get stale. They can't always be tweaked in small subtle ways like Gerrard and Beale seem to prefer it. 

Press high, quick tempo, more direct. 4-3-3 is great but its not working. Would like to see us move to two forwards. Football is slowly transitioning back to that anyway.

Look at Hearts, resurgent and with a constant miniscule budget - but a (dick) manager who gives them the old school rattling when their fucking up. 

Honestly think our team see Gerrard as a pal and they can do whatever. We need a manager that fucking hammers them.

11 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Charlie McCann 

Looks a good young talent which means he wont get a sniff here. Im actually puzzled as to why young players from prem clubs choose us when they have other options. Our record of blooding in youth players is shocking. 

4 minutes ago, tm91 said:

What we need is a bit of Walter-esque pragmatism. What we're doing isn't working. We need to change. 

Tactics get stale. They can't always be tweaked in small subtle ways like Gerrard and Beale seem to prefer it. 

Press high, quick tempo, more direct. 4-3-3 is great but its not working. Would like to see us move to two forwards. Football is slowly transitioning back to that anyway.

Id like to think we make signings based on our formation... But in reality we seem to try and fit square pegs in round holes and try and coach players strengths out of them to try and fit into this bloody formation. It does my tits in. We have turned morelos from an aggressive penalty box striker into a bumbling attacker who tries to drop deep then passes to opposition players. Players with pace no longer take people on and go wide, no they cut inside to play a backwards or sideways pass. Its unreal. 

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Look at Hearts, resurgent and with a constant miniscule budget - but a (dick) manager who gives them the old school rattling when their fucking up. 

Honestly think our team see Gerrard as a pal and they can do whatever. We need a manager that fucking hammers them.

You can't be a successful manager without people knowing you can be an absolute bastard if you have to be.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Gary Mac as assistant is no better, at least Walter despite being very capable of doing that himself had Archie Knox behind him

You could blatantly see Gerrard get frustrated on the sidelines tonight, throwing his arms up after players were making basic mistakes, turning round to say something to his staff if a pass wasn't made that should have been, etc - but i'm not sure he actually acts like that towards the players in training and tells them it straight. 

The best coaches like Tuchel and Guardiola can rub their players up the wrong way because they don't give a fuck about being seen as the nice guy. Tuchel in particular, there's various clips of him absolutely going through players in training from when he was a younger coach at Mainz to more developed at Dortmund

It just feels like teams have worked us out. Maybe formation can change but we lack killer instinct at the moment. 

We have to go on a run in the league but it's a tough old fixture list ahead. 

Embarrassing we aren't already well clear even this early. 

Also, if I was asked about one single thing I would change - it would be to stop rolling the ball back and forth between Goldson and Tav or over to Balogun and back to Goldson. When our goalkeeper has the ball Tavernier and Bassey have to push high and wide. Goldson and Balogun need to split the box (Goldson does not need to stand next to the fucking goalkeeper to receive the ball) and our 3 midfielders need to actually move and want to receive the ball from our centre backs

Things are feeling proper 1998 to me unfortunately. Wilson should have known better and earned his wages in the summer by stepping back and seeing the risk of relying on bargain bin pish to freshen up a squad that had to learn how to win the hard way over a long period of time.  

Might be unpopular, but i think it’s been clear since the turn of the year that last season was the final push for the majority of this squad. The relief of the team finally pushing through a tough January run probably blinded us to more than a few drab performances. McGregor wasn’t in the conversation for POTY at the midway point last season, by the end of it there was only going to be one winner. I think that says a lot. 

How TF is Nabil Bentaleb a free agent btw :lol:

Pick up the phone and offer him a contract until the end of the year ffs, precisely what we need in midfield - a midfielder who can fucking pass the ball

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

How TF is Nabil Bentaleb a free agent btw :lol:

Pick up the phone and offer him a contract until the end of the year ffs, precisely what we need in midfield - a midfielder who can fucking pass the ball

That the player that was wank for Tottenham?

2 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

I get your point but it’s the change in dynamics.. We were 6 and could/should have been 8 points ahead, we’ve now got a lead that’s literally on a knife edge! 

Understood. I get that, football is football it is so unpredictable at times. Before this season I was never so sure about a league title before. I was certain we would absolutely canter it.

So far it hasn't turned out that way. I'm still confident that this squad will win the title. Although they really do need to get the finger out. I sincerely hope that we are just coasting along and are going to hit our better form soon. And should that be the case we have nothing to worry about.

Come on the Rangers 🔴🔵

2 hours ago, bam74 said:

Take it in context though. A team that won the league by 25pts last season against a team in full rebuild, with a manager we all laughed at, is only 2 pts ahead after the first round of games. Add in a disastrous CL qualification effort and its clear why he is under pressure.

I accept that. We should be better.

Champions League though, there's no team in Scotland that is a Champions League team. This title is absolutely vital though in ensuring that cash to invest in the team. I'm still confident on the title, its not going to be as easy as we thought though.

How come most of the posters on this side can see the problems yet Gerrard and team can't?

Wrong set up for this league should be 3 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 2 with the back three defending.

Patterson    Balogun  Bassey

Lundstram

Kamara            Davis          Aribo

Hagi              Roofe         Kent

I know Kent is still injured but must be due back soon and Helander could be soon but we need to change things up now or we stand the very real chance of losing the plot entirely.

The management are now coming across as totally delusional, 20 competitive games and we’ve controlled one of them. Not one thing has been changed from personnel, style of play and to a lesser extent formations. 

It’s actually embarrassing for a supposedly exciting young manager the sheer lack of balls from Gerrard to make positive changes or changes to style, he’s unable to adapt. 

It seems like we’re just meandering on and hopeful of staying in it to get Kent, Jack and Helander back which is absolutely ridiculous.