With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

This is two reasons ago all over again, we should be 10 ahead ffs, now we have a really tough run coming up, away to them, hibs, hearts, sheep, livi etc. 

let them of the hook. 

clearly there something wrong. A change of personnel and formation. We couldn’t be any worse. 

Gerards career could start a d end in Scotland, there no excuses we’ve clearly got the best squad in Scotland by a long distance. 

3 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

How come most of the posters on this side can see the problems yet Gerrard and team can't?

Wrong set up for this league should be 3 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 2 with the back three defending.

Patterson    Balogun  Bassey

Lundstram

Kamara            Davis          Aribo

Hagi              Roofe         Kent

I know Kent is still injured but must be due back soon and Helander could be soon but we need to change things up now or we stand the very real chance of losing the plot entirely.

If we play that defence we’ll concede three every game 

How come most of the posters on this side can see the problems yet Gerrard and team can't?

Wrong set up for this league should be 3 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 2 with the back three defending.

Lundstram

I know Kent is still injured but must be due back soon and Helander could be soon but we need to change things up now or we stand the very real chance of losing the plot entirely.

Jesus wept. That defence is giving me nightmares already.

Lundstram

Set it up anyway you want but we’re too slow from back to front and we won’t score anything playing square passes in front of the opposition box. Only time we looked dangerous last night was when we went long, both down  the middle and out to the wings. 

Lundstram

Sorry but that team is fucking horrific. Putting paterson in a back 3 ffs

I don’t really have faith in Gerrard to change it which mean the players need to really improve their game . 

I don’t really have a lot of faith in them being able to do that either but something has to give, if we continue the way we are then we will be playing catch up going into the scum game in January.

This 433 system of is at the heart of the problem for me.

It's fine while you had the likes of Kent at LF, although even his finishing is well below the standard required, make no mistake these players are  supposed to  be strikers predominantly not wingers as I hear so often. Width is supposed to come from our wingbacks.

With the players we have fit at the moment I think they would suit a 4,1,3,2 better and start playing players in their preferred positions because there's to many looking bereft of confidence in what they are supposed to be doing.

Keep it simple and the talent in our squad will have the opportunity to Express their ability.

10 hours ago, King Jela said:

I know what the question is. 

In what way does Balogun at left back fix our shite left back problem? Apart from 'loads of teams play a right footed player at left back'. Trippier only plays the odd game for England at left back, other than he's on the right. 

He’s better than our current options 

That’s my point 

Last night when we put on Sakala and Wright you instantly saw the difference Sakala won the penalty as he can actually get away from a man and Wright actually beat a man and put in a great ball pity we didnt have anyone to finish it.

I actually think I can outrun Roofe and Morelos and Hagi. 

4 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

Lundstram

I’d actually rather a back three of proper defenders and wing backs. We’re getting bullied at centre back atm and they’re disorganised. More people in the box the better 

Unfortunately teams have figured us out. With Kent not fit we don’t create enough chances and have no width. Haven’t scored more than 2 in 13 games.

Gerrard hasn’t even tried to change things. Why not try a 4-4-2. Or the diamond with only one holding midfielder. There are numerous ways of playing. 

but we are stale, turgid, predictable at the moment as well as more vulnerable at the back.

The current formation relies on full backs getting to the bye line. But it’s a scarce sight these days. 

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

Last night when we put on Sakala and Wright you instantly saw the difference Sakala won the penalty as he can actually get away from a man and Wright actually beat a man and put in a great ball pity we didnt have anyone to finish it.

I actually think I can outrun Roofe and Morelos and Hagi. 

Agreed. Problem is when we play Aribo, Lundstrum, Davis/Kamara, Hagi, Morelos and Roofe. They all play so narrow. 6 attacking players all within 10 yards of each other.

We need wingers and width. This also helps Tavernier and Barisic overlap. You can’t play a 1-2 with someone standing 20 yards inside the touchline

Im not sure how we get out of this mess now, as it’s management and all areas of the pitch. Think Management need to become ruthless and instil that in the players too. Gerrard has to tear a strip off a few players and drop some, not just for a game either maybe even relegate them to 2nd choice on a permanent basis. Obvious ones are our full backs. But Goldson and Morelos should be worried about their positions too. 

But he needs to be ruthless in our coaching. Everything has to be done faster,  players told to play first time passes, be brave, be on the front foot. Aribo is a cracking big player but doesn’t move ball as quickly as he should, tending to try and hold players off rather than move ball. This should be coached out of him and to me it would take him to the next level as a player. But he’s not the only one. Watching our players take too many touches and not play obvious first time passes must be addressed by Gerrard.

if he doesn’t get on top of this and change his and the teams approach  as some one has already said his managerial career could start and end with Rangers. 

Now back to praying for a response on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

It sure how we get out of this mess now, as it’s management and all areas of the pitch. Think Management need to become ruthless and instil that in the players too. Gerrard has to tear a strip off a few players and drop some, not just for a game either maybe even relegate them to 2nd choice on a permanent basis. Obvious ones are our full backs. But Goldson and Morelos should be worried about their positions too. 

But he needs to be ruthless in our coaching. Everything has to be done faster,  players told to play first time passes, be brave, be on the front foot. Aribo is a cracking big player but doesn’t move ball as quickly as he should, tending to try and hold players off rather than move ball. This should be coached out of him and to me it would take him to the next level as a player. But he’s not the only one. Watching our players take too many touches and not play obvious first time passes must be addressed by Gerrard.

if he doesn’t get on top of this and change his and the teams approach  as some one has already said his managerial career could start and end with Rangers. 

Now back to praying for a response on Sunday.

Think your criticism of Aribo is off the mark, he’s wasted playing in midfield and does his best work higher up the pitch. Playing square across the back and back to the keeper boils my piss, teams have worked out we struggle to deal with a creeping press and we’ll get caught out always trying to play it out. 

4 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

Lundstram

That team is fucking horrific

I'm all for trying a back 3, but it has to be Tavernier , Goldson + Balogun with Tavernier playing a role similar to what Tierney does for Scotland

6 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Think your criticism of Aribo is off the mark, he’s wasted playing in midfield and does his best work higher up the pitch. Playing square across the back and back to the keeper boils my piss, teams have worked out we struggle to deal with a creeping press and we’ll get caught out always trying to play it out. 

I’ don’t think I’m slating the boy too much, I agree he’s better higher up. And he can beat players in a phonebox at times. But just feel he sometimes lets himself get bogged down a bit in the tussle. I keep saying to my mates he needs to sort of open his legs a bit (gets me some funny looks) but by that I mean open up and run at players more, get away from them.

Someone posted something about Walter in the last few days on how he stopped a ban on tackling in training at Man U. This meant Ronaldo was getting fouled more as he was trying to take the pish with his skills and he was losing the rag. He ended up he moved ball quicker and started running more to avoid the tackles. Benefiting him as a player. I kind of feel Aribo could add that aspect to his game more.

Gerrard earlier on this season:

"I think at times (we'll change formation). I think once everyone's back and once we've got the squad set - we're still looking to maybe add something to it as well - so once we've got the right personnel in I have to have the variety because some teams, and some managers, will try and stop this system if they've seen it for some years now.

In game I might have to tweak something just to keep people thinking, opposition players and managers, have the variety to try and adapt within the game.

That's where the players have got to be quite clever and listen to the information that we give them."

Scouting has been shite for the most part under Wilson, this summer there being the worst so far under him. Clearly never got the right personnel in cause we've no exactly thrown many curveballs.

5 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

Lundstram

Why not go 2-5-3, 2-1-4-3? It does not matter if players do not tackle, do not press, do not run, do not pass forward and sleep walk through games.

2 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

I’ don’t think I’m slating the boy too much, I agree he’s better higher up. And he can beat players in a phonebox at times. But just feel he sometimes lets himself get bogged down a bit in the tussle. I keep saying to my mates he needs to sort of open his legs a bit (gets me some funny looks) but by that I mean open up and run at players more, get away from them.

Someone posted something about Walter in the last few days on how he stopped a ban on tackling in training at Man U. This meant Ronaldo was getting fouled more as he was trying to take the pish with his skills and he was losing the rag. He ended up he moved ball quicker and started running more to avoid the tackles. Benefiting him as a player. I kind of feel Aribo could add that aspect to his game more.

Fair point, I think you could be on the money with it. Said a while ago to be a real top class player (which potentially he is) he has to do more when he hasn’t got the ball, he’s certainly added that and he’s more inclined to get stuck in now as well. 

5 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

Lundstram

Why would you have two full backs, who’s first instinct is to attach in an back three that you are asking to stay back and defend? :lol:

18 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

No seen the lad so a question for those who have, do people reckon Alegria deserve a sub appearance after his hatrick against Alloa?

If your old enough your good enough?

He may well have some claim to training with the first team squad etc and maybe getting a run as a sub, but a hat trick against a mid table League One side in a cup no one cares about isn’t really much of an indicator of first team potential.