January transfer window.

6superbarry6

21 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Whilst I agree with the premise of what you are saying here, Aberdeen did not play a low block last night - they were happy to leave space behind their back 4, they were compact however and squeezed higher up the pitch. A 10 last night would have been pointless unless 1) they were willing to run beyond the striker or 2) Roofe/Morelos ran in behind and stretched the Aberdeen defence to create that space for a central 10. 

Of course, none of the above is possible without a midfielder/defender willing to play a ball in behind which I'm sure everyone is fed up of me going on about on here :lol:

Yep, teams are feeling more comfortable to push up the park against us due to the chronic lack of pace in our side, when Kent is out we 100% need to play either Wright or Sakala in his place as our current front 3 are ridiculously slow. 

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

What I would do to see a Ferguson, Mendes or Tugay grace our midfield again. We need to win the league this year to get that wish.

Most of midfielders are defensive minded and similar. Jack, Kamara, Davis, Lundstram. It's tough to watch at times.

The problem there is that unless you get incredibly lucky with your scouting then a Ferguson Mendes or Tugay cost you at least 30 million quid these days. The days of ever seeing a player of that quality at Ibrox is over for a long long time.

4 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Yep, teams are feeling more comfortable to push up the park against us due to the chronic lack of pace in our side, when Kent is out we 100% need to play either Wright or Sakala in his place as our current front 3 are ridiculously slow. 

I get the premise but let’s be honest here, Sakala isn’t the answer and Wright can be a nice player but he’s not going to score 15/20 goals or creat 10-15.

If it was easy as just having pace then Jordon Jones/ O’Halloran would still be at club.

Have a look at the goals of the day video against st mirren

1 over the top, 1 outside the box, 1 short snappy passes into the box with a finish on the turn and 1 run to the byeline with a late runner. This isn’t with sports science and xG scores……it’s not difficult to play this way but Gerrard and the coaches are do damn rigid with the system.

8 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I couldn’t believe we had Alfie, Roofe and Hagi all looking like they were running through treacle at times. I guess the management team think we are going to be camped near their boxes so lack of pace isn’t an issue.l, but it was last night when we tried to play balls though.

There will be no real activity in Jan. We haven’t got any money and no one will spend mega bucks on our players. It will be a complete stalemate with the only dealings being we get rid of someone on the fringes and Gerrard brings in someone else we’ve never heard of from the Championship in England. 

4 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Think Kent being out is a massive factor tbh, our front 3 lacks any sort of pace at the moment which makes presses from the front a lot harder 

He's the difference no doubt.

This season aside. Even when he's been poor the threat alone makes teams double up creating space for others. 

When he's on it he changes the whole dynamic and pace of a game.

Need him to come back firing.

58 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Whilst I agree with the premise of what you are saying here, Aberdeen did not play a low block last night - they were happy to leave space behind their back 4, they were compact however and squeezed higher up the pitch. A 10 last night would have been pointless unless 1) they were willing to run beyond the striker or 2) Roofe/Morelos ran in behind and stretched the Aberdeen defence to create that space for a central 10. 

Of course, none of the above is possible without a midfielder/defender willing to play a ball in behind which I'm sure everyone is fed up of me going on about on here :lol:

Sheep played a back 3 last night ojo and campbell were wingbacks, hence why space was in behind them

When the sheep started the game with that system and went ahead, we needed to go to a 4132, one up front against a sweeper and two centre halves is fucking awful, 2 up front and two of the attacking 3 mids running into the space behind the wingbacks, dragging either centre half out to make it a 1v1 battle in the box between either of our strikers and their defenders, 

I know our system is built for fullbacks attacking, but we have shown we can change that to good effect, parkhead last october we played against a 352 essentially, tav and barisic were more defensive which drew out the wingbacks, giving us so much space in behind 

Ideal world we would bring in a CB. One injury away from either Bassey or Simpson starting games and neither are good enough at CB. 

A creative midfielder who can move the ball around quickly. Supposedly this was Bacuna yet he can't get into the starting 11. 

Finally another winger like Kent with pace and creativity. 

If Goldson is showing zero intent to sign a new deal punt him for what we can get. 

However with our current finances I don't expect much in the window. A loan deal maybe. 

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I get the premise but let’s be honest here, Sakala isn’t the answer and Wright can be a nice player but he’s not going to score 15/20 goals or creat 10-15.

If it was easy as just having pace then Jordon Jones/ O’Halloran would still be at club.

There’s not having pace then there is painfully slow which our current first choice forward line is though 

1 hour ago, BlueThunder said:

I couldn’t believe we had Alfie, Roofe and Hagi all looking like they were running through treacle at times. I guess the management team think we are going to be camped near their boxes so lack of pace isn’t an issue.l, but it was last night when we tried to play balls though.

Couple times Hagi looked to be in but couldn’t get there ahead of the defender it really is a shame as he’d be a top talent if he had another yard or two of pace. 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

He's the difference no doubt.

This season aside. Even when he's been poor the threat alone makes teams double up creating space for others. 

When he's on it he changes the whole dynamic and pace of a game.

Need him to come back firing.

Our whole season could hinge on a fit Ryan Kent returning to form 

2 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Couple times Hagi looked to be in but couldn’t get there ahead of the defender it really is a shame as he’d be a top talent if he had another yard or two of pace. 

He isn’t mobile or fast enough to do the role he was put in last night.  
That’s as much from a defending point of view to an attacking one. 

8 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I get that but Sakala and Wright aren’t the answer.

Not saying they’re the answer long term but surely can stand in for a few games for an injured player(Kent) if we can’t trust them to do this then there’s literally no point in them being in the squad 

1 minute ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Not saying they’re the answer long term but surely can stand in for a few games for an injured player(Kent) if we can’t trust them to do this then there’s literally no point in them being in the squad 

I actually think Wright if played on the right as a winger for a good run of games would come good. He’s actually pretty good at beating his marker and getting to the byeline, look at the chance he created for arfield when he hit the bar against st Mirren.

He has pace, he’s direct and he doesn’t shy away. Whilst Kent is out he’s the best we have at that type of play. Aribo is great at just ploughing forward and keeping the ball, drawing defenders in but he never knows when to release the ball to someone who can pick another player in the space he has created.

I feel we need to start hitting the byeline and fizzing crosses across the face of the goal or cutting back to on rushing midfielders, the let’s all stand on the edge of our opponents box and play it side ways just has all the feelings of when it collapsed with warburton

Sakala, Bacuna and Wright will never be able to show their true potential (good or bad) by playing the odd 20 minutes. It is too easy to say they are not good enough when playing bit part roles.

They need to start for 3 or 4 games in a row and then we can give a proper assessment.

To me, they all look like they have potential. Why bother signing them if you are going to remain steadfast to the old core?

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Sakala, Bacuna and Wright will never be able to show their true potential (good or bad) by playing the odd 20 minutes. It is too easy to say they are not good enough when playing bit part roles.

They need to start for 3 or 4 games in a row and then we can give a proper assessment.

To me, they all look like they have potential. Why bother signing them if you are going to remain steadfast to the old core?

Especially when the old core are massively underperforming.

8 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I actually think Wright if played on the right as a winger for a good run of games would come good. He’s actually pretty good at beating his marker and getting to the byeline, look at the chance he created for arfield when he hit the bar against st Mirren.

He has pace, he’s direct and he doesn’t shy away. Whilst Kent is out he’s the best we have at that type of play. Aribo is great at just ploughing forward and keeping the ball, drawing defenders in but he never knows when to release the ball to someone who can pick another player in the space he has created.

I feel we need to start hitting the byeline and fizzing crosses across the face of the goal or cutting back to on rushing midfielders, the let’s all stand on the edge of our opponents box and play it side ways just has all the feelings of when it collapsed with warburton

I agree, when Kent is out we should be starting Wright we are far too slow and predictable currently 

4 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Sakala is absolutely awful.

The Zambian Brandon Barker.