If you could change one result

scottyc06

Manchester by a mile. Reaching that final will be once in a lifetime stuff for the vast majority of us. There’s very little chance that it ever happens again, and even if does, it doesn’t take place in a place that is so easily accessible to our support.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Manchester by a mile. Reaching that final will be once in a lifetime stuff for the vast majority of us. There’s very little chance that it ever happens again, and even if does, it doesn’t take place in a place that is so easily accessible to our support.

Toss of a coin for me, but Marseilles edges it, although your point about Manchester being easily accessible is a good one and would have made a difference. It would have been fantastic to win it basically on our doorstep. The memories of going down there are probably The best i have had as an away day, and those memories help alongside knowing we put everything into that run.

The 92 team went head to head with some of the biggest teams at the time and I believe we would have beaten Milan in that final as everything just clicked with that team.

No coincidence that Sir Walter was the manager on both occasions. 

Definitely Marseille for me, that should have been the gaffers crowning glory, there's not a cunt on this earth that'll tell me we weren't cheated out of that final, yes AC would have stood in our way but we absolutely deserved to be there, all these years later that still rankles.

15 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

This resonates with me. I cried after that game and all my mates were taking the piss out of me but the reason I cried was I knew there and then (and stand by it) that we’d never get to a  European final again in my lifetime. 

3 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

This resonates with me. I cried after that game and all my mates were taking the piss out of me but the reason I cried was I knew there and then (and stand by it) that we’d never get to a  European final again in my lifetime. 

I couldn't bare to think we won't make another final, I get your point but my heart won't let me believe we won't make another, I believe we will at some point over the next decade or two.

5 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I was there crying my eyes out like a wee lassie, as you say it was that feeling that it was in our grasp and it was our one chance to feel the glory the older bears felt in 72, it built up for weeks and weeks, then the trip down and the day of the game was one of the best days of my entire life, everyone thought we'd win, I don't think i spoke to anyone there who doubted we'd win, then it all came crashing down. I remember having the fear when I woke up the next morning hoping I wasn't going to have my greeting face in the paper as I stayed in the stadium for a while after the game cause my dad was in another part of the ground and we had to meet up outside. I remember standing with my wee brother and the fireworks for zenit were going off then the bears started singing Follow Follow and I started singing along and ended up bawling. Was such a weird and horrible feeling.

7 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

I couldn't bare to think we won't make another final, I get your point but my heart won't let me believe we won't make another, I believe we will at some point over the next decade or two.

At the time I didn't think we ever would but I think its totally possible we could get to another one in my lifetime and hopefully in my Dads lifetime 

3 minutes ago, Willis said:

At the time I didn't think we ever would but I think its totally possible we could get to another one in my lifetime and hopefully in my Dads lifetime 

Yes I think we could, remember they've got this other new conference thing, a third chance to make a final if you like, maybe not as sought after as the others but it's still a European final.

46 minutes ago, Willis said:

I was there crying my eyes out like a wee lassie, as you say it was that feeling that it was in our grasp and it was our one chance to feel the glory the older bears felt in 72, it built up for weeks and weeks, then the trip down and the day of the game was one of the best days of my entire life, everyone thought we'd win, I don't think i spoke to anyone there who doubted we'd win, then it all came crashing down. I remember having the fear when I woke up the next morning hoping I wasn't going to have my greeting face in the paper as I stayed in the stadium for a while after the game cause my dad was in another part of the ground and we had to meet up outside. I remember standing with my wee brother and the fireworks for zenit were going off then the bears started singing Follow Follow and I started singing along and ended up bawling. Was such a weird and horrible feeling.

Made me laugh mate, again so much of it rings true. It was such a great day, I’ll never forget how much we took over that place. Like you say it was definitely one of the best days ever. Surreal in so many ways, I was pished as well which probably added to the emotion of it all! 

25 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Made me laugh mate, again so much of it rings true. It was such a great day, I’ll never forget how much we took over that place. Like you say it was definitely one of the best days ever. Surreal in so many ways, I was pished as well which probably added to the emotion of it all! 

It was pretty mental how many Bears were there, at one point in the afternoon my dad and his mate left our group in Piccadilly sq to go and get more bevvy and were gone for well over and hour cause every shop near the square was completely sold out of drink 😅

I try and separate the day and the match in my mind. Id go back and live that morning and afternoon in Manchester all the time if I could, it was fuckin amazing