Rangers vs Bayern Munich - 1972

Essandoh

Was in the old "Derry' that night. What a fantastic night it was! The place was rocking. 

The scum were also playing that night at the piggery. They went out when Deans blew a penalty a mile over the bar!  

Made a fantastic night even better!

happy days!

That was my first match at Ibrox. I was at the bottom of the Copland Road terracing but still had an OK view of the goals at the opposite end of the ground. Two cracking goals and we could have scored more. The atmosphere was incredible. That game and the 1973 Scottish Cup Final against celtic in front of 122,000 are the two best atmospheres I have experienced watching Rangers.

Thanks for posting this. I was at the game, what a night it was.  Willie Johnstone taking the pish, waiting for a challenge and kicking the ball off a defender for a throw in, then turning to the crowd cupping his breast and mouthing " diddy". Beckenbaur losing it as Stein was all over him, great atmosphere.

23 hours ago, Ibroxholm said:

An eventful night, lots of memories.  Only fifteen at the time and watched with my mates from halfway up the Broomloan Terracing.  Got covered in piss from a half-cut guy peeing in a can behind us throwing his hands in the air celebrating Sandy’s early goal.  Didn't seem to greatly bother us at the time.  Dave Smith was sublime that night, Beckenbauer all the over the place.

After the game, waiting outside a pub in Govan for a lift home, and my auld man coming out beaming after watching them getting knocked out on penalties (think their game kicked off an hour after ours).  Then watching the highlights of both games on tv when I  got home with the late great Bob Crampsey in the studio, face bright red and sweating, with his shirt sleeves rolled up, summarising the night”s events.

One of the best nights ever.

Was it one of those occasions almost like the final before the final because Bayern were opposition of such renown? Of course to us Moscow Dynamo were also famous in their own way because of the 1945 match but I would imagine most bears must have thought the hard work had been done?

I was only 6 at the time and don't remember it although I do remember the disaster which is interesting the bad times apparently made more of an impression than the good 

11 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Was it one of those occasions almost like the final before the final because Bayern were opposition of such renown? Of course to us Moscow Dynamo were also famous in their own way because of the 1945 match but I would imagine most bears must have thought the hard work had been done?

I was only 6 at the time and don't remember it although I do remember the disaster which is interesting the bad times apparently made more of an impression than the good 

I agree that, although it was great to win, the final was a bit of a damp squib for those who didn’t actually go to Barcelona.  The final wasn’t even on live on the tv, deferred transmission as I recall.  Set out to do a ‘Likely Lads’ scenario hiding in my bedroom, and ended up listening to the last thirty minutes on the transistor praying for the final whistle.

The following day was a bit like Manchester, our achievement overshadowed in the Press by the crowd scenes.  Even the teams return and display of the cup at Ibrox was dampened down a bit by the rain tipping it down all day and night.

I was there, at the Broomloan end, as a 12 year-old. Unforgettable atmosphere. Great view of the two goals, and also of Beckenbauer and Maier arguing with each other when Der Kaiser couldn't hear Maier's shout because of the crowd noise! Also Bud Johnston sitting on the ball in the second half! 

On 08/11/2021 at 07:24, Essandoh said:

Unsure if this the first half hour of the game or just 30 minutes of highlights. This match was long before my time so forgive me for my lack of knowledge but I never realised Sandy Jardine scored straight away! Dave Smith was captain?

So many questions about this game, often hear it’s the greatest atmosphere Ibrox has experienced. Crazy looking at the terraces back then.

That's only from the first half.  What a night that was.  Played them off the park when Bayern were one of the World's very top clubs at that time.  They won 3 German League titles in a row and the same squad won 3 European Cups in a row. The German national team had a nucleus of these Bayern players when winning the following World Cup.

Rangers were magnificent that night, so good in fact that the Germans had an on-field argument among their players and they chucked it.   One of the greatest games by Rangers that I've ever seen.  As much as I enjoyed Florence, beating Bayern that night was better.

Always worth a watch. Unfortunately just before started going so missed out on this. Every time I see it I think how comfortable we were. Full of my heroes that were in the team for all of my youth. The Souness years onwards had great enjoyment, but the team of the 70's - a real Rangers team.

Was there, I would have been 15. Thought I was dreaming when we went ahead in the second minute then scored another. 

Glad other posters have mentioned Beckenbauer and other Bayern players arguing and losing the plot, was beginning to wonder if I had imagined that.

We stayed about 15 minutes walk from the Stadium so my old man and I were home in time to see Dixie’s moon launch penalty, it rounded off a perfect night. If Carlsberg did European semi final nights with 155,000 spectators in the same city...

20 hours ago, Ibroxholm said:

I agree that, although it was great to win, the final was a bit of a damp squib for those who didn’t actually go to Barcelona.  The final wasn’t even on live on the tv, deferred transmission as I recall.  Set out to do a ‘Likely Lads’ scenario hiding in my bedroom, and ended up listening to the last thirty minutes on the transistor praying for the final whistle.

The following day was a bit like Manchester, our achievement overshadowed in the Press by the crowd scenes.  Even the teams return and display of the cup at Ibrox was dampened down a bit by the rain tipping it down all day and night.

UEFA should have been apologising for holding one of their finals in a fascist country no wonder there was trouble.

At least you had the radio we can't even get the games from Ibrox in 2021 because of the scummy bbc :ang: ... still it must have been a magic moment when the referee blew for time up and we had European silverware at Ibrox at last :crabflute:

20 hours ago, Misteral said:

I was there in the Derry as a fifteen year old and it was my favourite night at Ibrox ever, mental as it was.  When Sandy scored...........

The great goals just seem to bring into even sharper focus what it is to support our great club the one I always remember was the the second against Kiev such was their reputation at the time ... although to be fair it wasn't much a goal in football terms :lol: