Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

It’s about how hard it will be to replace the character for me.

Gerrard’s personality and aura are huge and I seriously think we struggle to replace that.

It’s fine throwing out names like Reborv or Farke and posting stats that show how well he’s done in Eastern Europe or articles that say how great a tactician he is, but if you don’t have that presence and ability to handle one of the most unique places to manage then you are basically a dead man walking from the off.

That’s where my worry lies.

It's exactly that.

A lot of the criticism of him as a manager is valid, but equally I think he's had us punching above our weight.

At least half a dozen of our players have mentioned him specifically as being a draw to coming to the club and you just don't get that with Davidson or the other Scottish names mentioned.

5 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

There is no credible chat of which I'm aware.  Rumours in the media and on forums aren't credible.  I don't believe in getting into a lather over what at present is still only speculation.   Gerrard may leave us or he may stay with us.  Just now it's like waiting on the toss of a coin.   My post was simply a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour.  

One of Gerrard's pals is reporting Gerrard is interested. 

Every outlet in the country is reporting Villa are interested in Gerrard. 

Theres plenty credible about it. 

1 minute ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Surely Ross Wilson’s job, I’d expect him to have a list of potential replacements for every one of our playing/coaching staff that should be his job 

Depends if the board trust him enough with their "all on black" season. Alot of money at stake for all board members.

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

Kevin Thomson 

We need Thomson to keep working as a number one. He’s somebody we should be looking at as a potential candidate the next time the job comes around and the best way to prepare him for that is to let him develop into his own man.

Just now, DBBTB said:

We need Thomson to keep working as a number one. He’s somebody we should be looking at as a potential candidate the next time the job comes around and the best way to prepare him for that is to let him develop into his own man.

Thomson's bound to be in the running for the Hibs job the next time it comes up.

12 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Ticks a lot of boxes apart from experience much like Gerrard did, I see alot of similarities in their character tbh. 

14 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

It’s about how hard it will be to replace the character for me.

Gerrard’s personality and aura are huge and I seriously think we struggle to replace that.

It’s fine throwing out names like Reborv or Farke and posting stats that show how well he’s done in Eastern Europe or articles that say how great a tactician he is, but if you don’t have that presence and ability to handle one of the most unique places to manage then you are basically a dead man walking from the off.

That’s where my worry lies.

On the money as (almost) always mate.

5 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

He hasnt

Definitely has. In the past he’s dismissed links almost instantly. 
He’s been on about loyalty, 2 clubs in his heart, telling players to be ready for a semi final just 2 days ago. 

Aye delighted we won the league last season  but leaving us in the lurch in an arguably bigger season with the run of games we have coming up with a half decent chance of progressing in Europe and still a chance at a treble then you can understand why I said he has. 

6 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

There is no credible chat of which I'm aware.  Rumours in the media and on forums aren't credible.  I don't believe in getting into a lather over what at present is still only speculation.   Gerrard may leave us or he may stay with us.  Just now it's like waiting on the toss of a coin.   My post was simply a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour.  

Lots of folk have already made their minds up mate and there's a rumour that Santa will be down yer Lum at Christmas.

Just now, Prso's headband said:

He’s been on about loyalty, 2 clubs in his heart, telling players to be ready for a semi final just 2 days ago. 

Aye delighted we won the league last season  but leaving us in the lurch in an arguably bigger season with the run of games we have coming up with a half decent chance of progressing in Europe and still a chance at a treble then you can understand why I said he has. 

So you know for a fact SG has spoken to another club?

The big problem is not going to be if Gerrard leaves, but if he takes the massive backroom staff of first class people that have also been assembled.

We are still building our team. We are far from the finished article. We are getting there, but we still have some positions to fill, some players to move around positions - and Brandon fucking Barker to get rid of!

I hope he stays. I hope they all stay - except Barker!

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

Actually, think there may be crossed wires here lol I meant he hasn’t spoken to another club