Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

Just now, graeme_4 said:

In some weird way, I’m quite excited about who our new manager might be. 

Gerrard’s done a great job in rebuilding the football side of the club, but there’s a bit of a feeling that this squad are nearing the end of their cycle under him. 

That’s true but the cycle would have ideally ended at the end of the season - not 1/3 through a crucial campaign leaving us half-cocked. 

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

Exactly. The Villa and Newcastle squads are night and day. 

Massive rebuilding job needed at Newcastle whereas Villa will need tweaks here and there. 

Even if it all goes tits up at Villa the reaction will largely be "it's villa, what the fick did you expect?", there's a reason nobody would go near Newcastle just now,

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

In some weird way, I’m quite excited about who our new manager might be. 

Gerrard’s done a great job in rebuilding the football side of the club, but there’s a bit of a feeling that this squad are nearing the end of their cycle under him. 

I’m a bit that way myself tbh, as much as I like Gerrard and really admire the way he gets our club as a manager he has his flaws, I’m interested to see what some of our attacking players could do if a new manager comes in and takes the handbrake off, we might even see the old Morelos rag dolling defences again. 

11 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Stopped reading there

Why? What are you expecting? These kinds of articles never quote someone or reveal their sources. Those are three of the top journalists in England and they’ll have spoken to someone on either Villa’s or Gerrard’s side. ‘Telegraph Sport understands’ just means this is what my source told me. 

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Rangers next manager odds:

Gary McAllister 2/1

Frank Lampard 4/1

John Terry 6/1

Michael O’Neil 10/1

Dean Smith 14/1

Alex Neil 16/1

Steve Bruce 18/1

That list is horrific viewing to me. 

While bookies odds mean less than fuck all, its only taking charge of ten consecutive games. Think Gary Mac is there on the assumption he won't follow Gerrard. Don't think he'll be his assistant there but expect there will be some sort of role for him.

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

When did he ever say he wasn’t interested in Newcastle? He was never offered it so didn’t have a decision to make. 

The 3 journos behind the Telegraph story are some of the most reliable in England. 

In response to Emma Dodds asking him about speculation linking him with a move away, he replied “do I look happy? do I look settled? Don’t ask silly questions then.” That was only 2 weeks ago regarding Newcastle speculation, similar to this speculation re: Villa (unless you say otherwise Esk😂)

18 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Who's got a Telegraph subscription? 

Was just going to ask the same mate, got about 4 lines and then, start your free months trial. :sad:

Having not posted much on this I think the headline from them is the most concerned I have been since yesterday that he might want to go, hopefully not. 

37 minutes ago, rangersross said:

I’m not saying there’s any truth in it but: 

1) We’ll have asked Gerrard ‘would you want to speak to Villa if they come calling?’

2) If he answered ‘yes’, we’ll have started tentatively reaching out to prospective managerial candidates of our own 

And we line up a failed Aberdeen man? No thanks 

1 minute ago, JM1872 said:

In response to Emma Dodds asking him about speculation linking him with a move away, he replied “do I look happy? do I look settled? Don’t ask silly questions then.” That was only 2 weeks ago regarding Newcastle speculation, similar to this speculation re: Villa (unless you say otherwise Esk😂)

What else is he ggoing to say? 'Whey Aye man! get me to the 'Toon pronto?'

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nobody is meeting the expectations this time around. The next Newcastle manager is the one who becomes a hero.

100% agree with you, it’s a good few years before they are at least neck and neck with City, Chelsea, Liverpool to win the league, but if they got the right man there’s no reason why they couldn’t have given him the time to go all the way.

1 minute ago, Gandhi1872 said:

Why? What are you expecting? These kind of articles never quote someone or reveal their sources. Those are three of the top journalists in England and they’ll have spoken to someone either on Villa’s or Gerrard’s side. ‘Telegraph Sport understands’ just means this is what my source told me. 

I understand that Pep Guardiola is interested in being the next Rangers manager if Steven Gerrard moves to Aston Villa.

There. You read that online too. My sources are impeccable! 

Only twice in my lifetime have we changed manager mid season, both times resulted in walter getting the job, first time around he'd pretty much been doing it anyway while souness played, the second time it was the logical choice as he knew the club and the game up here 

Worryingly i dont think theres anyone we could get in mid season who could carry on what gerrard has here till end of season before installing their own plan, 

7 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Yup. He’s going. 

What a gut punch that is. There’s almost an irony in him doing all the work he’s done over the past three years to take the club back to where it should be and then leaving at a vital stage of the most important season we’ve had in decades.

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Only twice in my lifetime have we changed manager mid season, both times resulted in walter getting the job, first time around he'd pretty much been doing it anyway while souness played, the second time it was the logical choice as he knew the club and the game up here 

Worryingly i dont think theres anyone we could get in mid season who could carry on what gerrard has here till end of season before installing their own plan, 

I don’t believe he’s going anywhere as he knows how much us fans have dealt with over the last couple of weeks