Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

Just now, DBBTB said:

:lol: 👍🏻

But seriously I wish I was as calm about this as you are. I don’t think it’s looking good and it’s had me on edge all day :ang:

Can't see anything but a massive decline if its true. Season will fall to bits

I'll be fuming if he does ditch us although not shocked. 

5 minutes ago, Mols94 said:

Ditching us mid way through a season is poor, I would expect better than that from him tbh.

I know we've been playing poorly but this leaves us in a horrible spot. We are going to be stuck with Murty ffs until we get a new manager.

Number one target for me would be Dean Smith.

Should definitely be somebody who’s under consideration.

3 minutes ago, rangersross said:

I think continuity is our best bet here so, if Gerrard leaves, I really hope we offer Beale the gig then bring in McCann or promote Defoe as his assistant. He wants to be his own man: give him the chance to do it here and keep our identity intact until the season’s over (at least). 

100%. The last thing we need is someone coming in trying to put their mark on the team or implement their own style mid season. Grind out results with the current setup, win the league and make the CL. Then all bets are off

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Would put good money on the clause being put in as non-negotiable by Gerrard and not the other way around.

Keep hearing that no person is bigger than the club etc

Even with his reputation, letting a manager do that would be suicide, either he fails and we give him a massive pay off or he succeds and we get shafted at some point (turns out might be midway through the season)

Fully expecting a list of possible managers the board are looking at shortly where every name is worse than the one before 

Just now, Brackley Bluenose said:

What are the permutations that would stop that? Didn’t know this 

Someone winning the CL and not having qualified for next season through their own league. Unlikely but not impossible. Actually think Gerrard was part of the last team to do it. 

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

If, as some the posts suggest he’s going it means the clubs are already talking. Kris Boyd said this morning as far as he knows, there has been no contact between the clubs. Don’t really know what to believe right now. 

They both add up. Villa aren't approaching anyone until tomorrow.