Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

He wouldn't be in the top 20 favourites.

He hasn't been hanging aboutveither, he's been doing the work he is paid to do by Premier Sports.

I wouldn't want him but if you don't think he'd be a favourite for the job you'd be off your head imo, yeah they'll be plenty candidates but he'll be major one.

In terms of managers, whoever follows Gerrard will find it a very tough job. 

GVB is the most natural in terms of he has his teams play similarly to how we do currently, but he has the same shortcomings as a manager that Gerrard currently has (inability to change a game with subs, reluctance to try different formations or tactics). 

If we're going fanciful names we have next to no chance of getting, I'll say Valverde. 

36 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I’d be surprised if Gerrard went if we won the league with CL football on the horizon.

However if he did go I’d hope our list looked a bit like this 

Fonseca

Dean Smith

Wilder

Lampard

Van Bronckhorst

Don’t think any of them are out with our reach and I think they’d all do well. 

I don’t really think I trust the board to come up with a list like that, it’ll probably be more like 

Callum Davidson

Neil Warnock

Gattuso

Garry Monk

Jack Ross

I'd be furious if it was Wilder. 

1 hour ago, superallysbears said:

I wouldn't want him but if you don't think he'd be a favourite for the job you'd be off your head imo, yeah they'll be plenty candidates but he'll be major one.

There isn't one single piece of logic that suggests he will be under consideration. I said top 20, he won't be in the top 50 candidates.

Some of the names mentioned here are mental. Obviously we can't attract the top managers or even the ones below that like Fonseca or Favre but there's no reason why we couldn't get someone in the tier below that.

From an outsiders point of view we have a great squad(in context), we are reigning champions and favourites to win it again, you'll have a good chance of Champions League football with minimum being Europa League and as has already been shown it's a perfect shop window for the richest league in the world that's just down the road.

There will be managers doing a good job currently all over Europe who would jump at the chance to manage us.