Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

23 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

We are never winning a poll like that.

Its basically us and the Birmingham fans saying Rangers, and then the rest of Scotland saying Villa cause they hate us, and all the other English who can be arsed, voting Villa because they think no Scottish team would even survive in the conference in England through arrogance.

Hate gay polls like that. Anyone can hijack them.

17 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Won the KNVB Cup as well in 17/18.

Feyenoord hadn't won the league since 1999. Hadn't won the cup since 2008. Ajax and PSV are much richer clubs.

He done a really good job there.

Unless we take on another manager who’s never manger before then the chances are every candidate is going to have a blip on their CV somewhere. 

A manager with a perfect CV doesn’t exist, especially in an era when managers have a shorter shelf life and turnover of them is far higher, and if they do have a perfect CV then they are probably beyond us financially.

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I’ve seen enough of Lampard’s Chelsea and Derby to say I think he’s a better coach than people give him credit for. People treat him like he was McCoist levels of bad and I don’t think he was.

Also think there isn’t that same culture difference that there was with PLG either.

Aye his derby days were good, just for me the concern where he's expected to win, chelsea that expectation was high, at us its astronomical, dunno if he's at that point yet, mind you there wont be many in our range

I'll be gutted if he leaves but, realistically, the day was going to come.

I also don't get any of the anger or bitterness directed towards him.

If you got offered a better paying job, closer to your family, with more career progression opportunity then you'd very likely take it.

And whilst mid-season isn't ideal, it's not up to Steven Gerrard to have a succession plan in place. 

He was brought in to rebuild our club and stop celtic doing the 10. He's done that and I'll be forever grateful. He's been incredibly upfront about the fact that he wants to manage his boyhood club and this move will take him a step closer to it.

If he leaves, I'll always support him and wish him the best of luck. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Aye his derby days were good, just for me the concern where he's expected to win, chelsea that expectation was high, at us its astronomical, dunno if he's at that point yet, mind you there wont be many in our range

That’s exactly it. I think there’s going to be pros and cons to every candidate. We just have to hope the board get it right. Who would you like to see get it?

6 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

My fear is that we don’t have the cash to entice the type of manager we all want.

SG never strengthened this season because he was unable to, not because he chose not to. ***

What decent manager is going to take on a role with little or no money?

***because we / he made a cunt of the CL qualifiers. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm maybe talking out of turn here but if I'm in the media and I've paid five figures for access to Ibrox - the first thing I'd be doing is sending a message to David Graham asking what the script is and if he gives me a quote/position I can use on the record, great. If he tells me something off-the-record, I'd use that knowledge (with approval) to come up something conveying that position without compromising the club.

As said why would David Graham or the club know SG’s personal thinking on contact that hasn’t even been officially made 

If Stevie is to fuck off.

We need someone in who understands the unique pressures of the club and Scottish football. They would have to hit the ground running.

The obvious ones are GVB and McInnes(I know!!).

GVB is a bigger name, would instantly gain respect from the players and would possibly have a more realistic long term vision. 

McInnes would be a stop gap, knows the league. I wouldn't want him in and I know fuck all about his style of football etc, but as a short term fix, he's possibly best placed? 

Gerrard can go.....Tell Villa they can have Beale etc in 6mths.

2 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Sky Sports News just had an interview with Richard Dunne, the tone was it’s very much a goer. 
Was more concerned the cunt chose not to wear a Poppy tbh. 

No surprise there rhampant bheggar, has a pacific shelf tattoo on this arm, james mclean tribute act.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

***because we made a cunt of the CL qualifiers. 

The reason is irrelevant. I suppose we could have got rid of SG after 55 to give us a better chance of qualifying.

We all know you don’t rate SG, you’ve said it about 40 times on the thread already.

6 minutes ago, SonicWill said:

I'll be gutted if he leaves but, realistically, the day was going to come.

I also don't get any of the anger or bitterness directed towards him.

If you got offered a better paying job, closer to your family, with more career progression opportunity then you'd very likely take it.

And whilst mid-season isn't ideal, it's not up to Steven Gerrard to have a succession plan in place. 

He was brought in to rebuild our club and stop celtic doing the 10. He's done that and I'll be forever grateful. He's been incredibly upfront about the fact that he wants to manage his boyhood club and this move will take him a step closer to it.

If he leaves, I'll always support him and wish him the best of luck. 

Precisely and if he had a run of bad results those same people would be calling for him to be axed mid season. If he leaves that’s just the way it goes. 

It’s all very well punting names like GVB, Rebrov, Thomasson etc but it’s maybe being forgotten they’d be entering Rangers in November with no funds for January and immediate expectations of a cup win with progress at the top of the league.

Thats a big ask