Morelos

DiamondDan

Just now, Jackal said:

Never said it was, Morelos isn’t capable of the duties of this role though so it’s weird that we have fans saying he’s doing some sort of “role” for benefit of the team. 

He’s clearly been asked to do that under Gerrard and Beale though. He played far deeper last season than he ever did before. Hopefully it’s a thing of the past though because it’s not really worked. Morelos was always at his best leading the line from the front like a battering ram.

Realistically the form he has been showing this season he is or should be our third choice striker. I was expecting some big performances from a lot of players today and he was top of the list. 

Players like tav, goldson and davis performances didnt surprise me as they often go missing when things get ugly but morelos (and kent btw) actually didnt look interested in the slightest. 

26 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He’s clearly been asked to do that under Gerrard and Beale though. He played far deeper last season than he ever did before. Hopefully it’s a thing of the past though because it’s not really worked. Morelos was always at his best leading the line from the front like a battering ram.

He used to absolutely terrorise and ragdoll defenders on a European level and its just all stopped. Gio needs to unleash him again and take the clamps off the whole front line, allowing them to play with a bit of freedom.

Not read the thread, but for me it's the lack of the basics today that disgusted me. I'm not even asking he gets back to the levels he's hit, all I ask is he tries. 

Pathetic from him today and we/he better hope GVB gets his performances back to that level before or else his hopes of a move (and our big money deal) will be gone.

2 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

I dont think anyones instructed him to get wired into the pies to be fair. This theory about how he is being asked to play doesnt wash. Hes out of condition, hardly runs, gives the ball away and has been missing sitters this season. Surely thats down to him  alone.

You may be right , I just can't see SG allowing him to play as deep as he has these last couple of seasons without his say so . 

5 hours ago, theclothmonster said:

The whole team looks miles of it physically this season. Last year we were pressing hard and teams struggled with us in the last fifteen minutes of games, this year our players look fucked after a single half of football.

I think the efforts of last season have broken half of the players.

29 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I must have missed the outstanding performances from the other 10 (plus subs) to enable Morelos to be singled out for today's abject performance.

You missed the threads on Goldson and Tav? He's been pish for months, it's clear as day that he wants out and has done for a while. Sooner he's out the door the better as he just doesn't want to be here. Attitude stinks and his passing and control of a ball are shocking. Get as much we can for him and move on. 

5 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

You missed the threads on Goldson and Tav? He's been pish for months, it's clear as day that he wants out and has done for a while. Sooner he's out the door the better as he just doesn't want to be here. Attitude stinks and his passing and control of a ball are shocking. Get as much we can for him and move on. 

If he has wanted away then what does that say about Gerrard and Ross Wilson plus they must also consider Morelos to be far better than any of our current alternatives.

Absolute disasterclass today, Hanlon and Porteous absolutely strolled it today, not once did Morelos try and get in front of them or get a yard at any ball into the box.

One thing the previous manager and his coaching team have got seriously wrong is the way they’ve coached him, went from a striker who would play directly up against a centre half able to bully and roll them to this version where his first instinct is too drop deep and try aimless switches across the park, the first thing Gio should be doing is getting that out his game. 

How I long for a performance like he gave in Rotterdam a few years ago, genuinely close to being a world class performance that night, I worry that he’s not got that in him anymore. 

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

I must have missed the outstanding performances from the other 10 (plus subs) to enable Morelos to be singled out for today's abject performance.

Have you seen any posts claiming anyone else was outstanding? Morelos is no way being singled out. He was absolutely awful. 

5 minutes ago, Rum Ham said:

Who would, and could, we sign that could get us a better return than morelos?

I've no idea who we could afford.  I hope that Gio v B can get him back to his best.  Last season the team played differently with a high press, plenty of energy and drive, a kind of fluid attack with goals coming from a number of players.  Morelos wasn't the focus up front and he moved around the pitch much more.  This season none of that happens.

2 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I've no idea who we could afford.  I hope that Gio v B can get him back to his best.  Last season the team played differently with a high press, plenty of energy and drive, a kind of fluid attack with goals coming from a number of players.  Morelos wasn't the focus up front and he moved around the pitch much more.  This season none of that happens.

It is concerning how different we look as a squad this season.

He needs benched now, he can’t even do the basics. What amazes me most is that someone at the club has not tackled his amazing loss of fitness. His lifestyle is clearly not conducive to be a top class athlete. He’s as slow as a week in the jail and I’ve never seen another player who mis kicks the ball as much as him in the art of shooting. For me, he’s offering next to nothing at the moment and should be told to shape up or ship out.