Goldson

GOAT

6 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Mental how little people rate him on here. Was outstanding in getting us to a Europa league final. Has been our best defender and part of a defence that has averaged conceding only 20 goals a season in the league for the past 3 years.

He’s in the 94th and 97th percentile for headers won and clearances respectively vs other defenders in the top 5 leagues and Europe.

Maybe wasn’t at his best this year but he never had a settled partnership. And was nurturing Bassey into a new role. 

He’s not irreplaceable but he’s easily good enough to go to a decent Premiership team. Probably entering his peak years for a defender (29-31).

Think we will miss his leadership and fight. 

I thought so too, but there doesn’t seem to be a queue knocking his door down. 

30 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Mental how little people rate him on here. Was outstanding in getting us to a Europa league final. Has been our best defender and part of a defence that has averaged conceding only 20 goals a season in the league for the past 3 years.

He’s in the 94th and 97th percentile for headers won and clearances respectively vs other defenders in the top 5 leagues and Europe.

Maybe wasn’t at his best this year but he never had a settled partnership. And was nurturing Bassey into a new role. 

He’s not irreplaceable but he’s easily good enough to go to a decent Premiership team. Probably entering his peak years for a defender (29-31).

Think we will miss his leadership and fight. 

This ☝️

41 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I thought so too, but there doesn’t seem to be a queue knocking his door down. 

Like the rest of our players he’s at a level where PL teams can afford to go and get a player better than them .Or at least on paper look better . He would have plenty offers from the championship but they won’t be paying much more than we were .Abroad looks a non starter too if the homesick family rumour is to be believed.

20 minutes ago, Mondraker said:

Under Gerrard he made many, many mistakes and yet went unpunished.

Compare that to any other defender who was in and out the team, sometimes never having done anything wrong, or very little in comparison.

Absolute made up nonsense.  

He needs to make up his mind very soon.   If he has his agent trying to punt him around the big clubs down south and nothing has happened before now, then I very much doubt any big club has shown any interest in him.   I expect it's between staying with us and get European games and chances of medals or going to a bottom half EPL club to help stave off relegation and/or a Championship club trying to get promotion. 

1 minute ago, JCDBigBear said:

He needs to make up his mind very soon.   If he has his agent trying to punt him around the big clubs down south and nothing has happened before now, then I very much doubt any big club has shown any interest in him.   I expect it's between staying with us and get European games and chances of medals or going to a bottom half EPL club to help stave off relegation and/or a Championship club trying to get promotion. 

Treble your wages though, and go up against the best week in week out. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Treble your wages though, and go up against the best week in week out. 

I took the financial incentive as a given.    In the EPL he will only be going up against the best in about 12 of the 38 games and will never be likely to play in Europe again.

48 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Not sure if this has been posted from Alan Hutton? No idea how much truth is in it although at 29 it's your last big pay day so I can see why he would think this is where his loyalty would be rewarded

Hutts On Goldson.jpg

The verdict :lol:

No shit Sherlock

22 minutes ago, tm91 said:

As with any other player, it's a question of how much we value him against how much he wants to stay. He's a professional and should be looking for as much money as possible. He's also been a good servant to the club and I'm sure we'd ideally like to keep him - but there's a limit to how much the club would be willing to pay. If he wants too much that's just how it goes.

I do think there's an argument that we need a refresh and that this might be the right time for us to move on influential players and bring new ones in. Goldson has been an ever-present, a good servant, and achieved great things for us, but he's also been the vice-captain of a squad that's lost 3 titles in 4 years due to mid-season slumps and struggles dealing with pressure domestically. Sometimes the team just needs a change.

It’s a good point on wages. Given what these Champions League qualifiers are worth it’s probably worth the gamble of overpaying him. I’d feel pretty confident going in with a back four of Tav, Goldson, Souttar and Bassey at LB of getting there.

Saw someone on twitter saying there was a rumour that Goldson wanted to stay, if it's coming from that Hutton quote then it means absolutely nothing. I believe Goldson maybe does want to stay here, but he clearly isn't getting the money it would take to make him. 

Maybe one side will fold and he's still here next season but those Hutton quotes don't change anything

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Absolute made up nonsense.  

Sadly not. If you can, go back and rewatch games. He makes an arse of a lot of things & the person on his left paid the price. 

Hes been a good servant and obviously done us in the main good but he's not Richard Gough, he's not even a Craig Moore (2nd time). 

2 things we'll miss, his long passing and his seemingly inability to be injured.

If it’s the case that this hasn’t been done because of money then just get him paid. 

The money we’d have to pay to replace his quality (not to mention his impeccable fitness record and knowledge of our system) would take a huge chunk out of our budget. 

I’d much rather overpay for the devil I know in an important position like CB.