Goldson

GOAT

He was off it again today, as for the comment, he said it after the game looking back on it, I said the exact same thing to the wife when I got home obviously when the game was over, don't believe for a minute he thought that at half time. For me barisic and morelos have been underachieving for months and both should be benched for Thursday. Goldson has to start because we have the square root of fuck all to replace him. 

2 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Quite a lot of what he said is brutal and extremely damning of himself and his teammates. It's horrendous for him to say and horrendous for us to hear/read. He's went a bit scattergun like some of us, myself included!

There are a few comments that are a right kick in the nuts though. We've basically gave up at half time. That's what he's said. What chance do we have though when players can't follow instructions and lack hunger. It's a recipe for disaster.

As you say though his contract situation (and some of his performances, as well as being vice captain) compounds everything.

Full comments below:

Asked if the new regime at least gives the Light Blues something to look forward to, Goldson answered: "We have to. We know the manager was there today and you would hope that players would want to impress, but off that performance we need a change, we need a spark.

"I don't want to say this, but I feel like we've lost a bit of hunger. All of a sudden 'we're champions and we don't need to work as hard' which is wrong.

"I feel like that's crept in all season and we haven't been good enough for the whole of this season and hopefully the new manager can come in and give us a spark."

"I'm not going to sit here and not give them credit, they've beaten us fair and square. We didn't deserve to win the game but as Rangers football club our standards need to be so much higher.

"Defensively poor. Three chances, three goals in the first half. You can't give yourself a 3-0 mountain to climb.

"Attacking wise, didn't create anything again. So as a team at the minute we're not performing, so it's as simple as that.

"Back to front not one individual can come off that pitch and hold their head high, and we've got a lot of work to do."

Asked if the poor display was down to the management situation, he replied: "Not at all. The staff have been brilliant, they've covered everything this week. We've let ourselves down, players don't follow instructions.

"The first two goals are both from corners. People are in the wrong position, which we've worked on yesterday. From a throw-in, people are in the wrong position which we worked on yesterday.

"If players don't want to follow instructions then we can't blame coaches because they give us the information to do our job and players don't want to take that on board.

"Then we're 2-0 down and then they score a third goal and the game's over. We can be in their at half-time and say believe in ourselves, and blah blah, but the game's over, you're 3-0 down, 3-1 down at half time.

Very little wrong with that tbh. Much better performance than he gave on the pitch.

Goldsons quote 🤮

Tav chesting it back at first goal 🤮

morelos you lazy bastard fuck off, sakalas movement is on a different planet to yours

balogun can’t cope with a bit of pace, shite🤮

the midfield🤮

pass marks aribo and arfield 

Davis lasting 90 mins ffs he was shite first half ,he’s 36 and played an international game during the week,fkn unbelievable substitutions🤮

4 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Quite a lot of what he said is brutal and extremely damning of himself and his teammates. It's horrendous for him to say and horrendous for us to hear/read. He's went a bit scattergun like some of us, myself included!

There are a few comments that are a right kick in the nuts though. We've basically gave up at half time. That's what he's said. What chance do we have though when players can't follow instructions and lack hunger. It's a recipe for disaster.

As you say though his contract situation (and some of his performances, as well as being vice captain) compounds everything.

Full comments below:

Asked if the new regime at least gives the Light Blues something to look forward to, Goldson answered: "We have to. We know the manager was there today and you would hope that players would want to impress, but off that performance we need a change, we need a spark.

"I don't want to say this, but I feel like we've lost a bit of hunger. All of a sudden 'we're champions and we don't need to work as hard' which is wrong.

"I feel like that's crept in all season and we haven't been good enough for the whole of this season and hopefully the new manager can come in and give us a spark."

"I'm not going to sit here and not give them credit, they've beaten us fair and square. We didn't deserve to win the game but as Rangers football club our standards need to be so much higher.

"Defensively poor. Three chances, three goals in the first half. You can't give yourself a 3-0 mountain to climb.

"Attacking wise, didn't create anything again. So as a team at the minute we're not performing, so it's as simple as that.

"Back to front not one individual can come off that pitch and hold their head high, and we've got a lot of work to do."

Asked if the poor display was down to the management situation, he replied: "Not at all. The staff have been brilliant, they've covered everything this week. We've let ourselves down, players don't follow instructions.

"The first two goals are both from corners. People are in the wrong position, which we've worked on yesterday. From a throw-in, people are in the wrong position which we worked on yesterday.

"If players don't want to follow instructions then we can't blame coaches because they give us the information to do our job and players don't want to take that on board.

"Then we're 2-0 down and then they score a third goal and the game's over. We can be in their at half-time and say believe in ourselves, and blah blah, but the game's over, you're 3-0 down, 3-1 down at half time.

he has at least been honest if nothing else.

Now I want to know how big Rangers men like McGregor, Davis and Arfield have let this creep in and fester. We have no fucking proper leader. All wee mousey nicey nice folk. We need a nasty bastard that will pin a team mate against a wall and go through him for putting in a shit performance. 

Just now, BigBearButt said:

he has at least been honest if nothing else.

Now I want to know how big Rangers men like McGregor, Davis and Arfield have let this creep in and fester. We have no fucking proper leader. All wee mousey nicey nice folk. We need a nasty bastard that will pin a team mate against a wall and go through him for putting in a shit performance. 

Sadly those kind of characters are a dying breed in the game now. 

Jack is the only one I can think of who has that in him but he's been out that long who knows where his future is. 

I'll freely admit I've never taken to Goldson, thought he was nervy and always had a mistake in him his first 2 seasons with us, then last season he stepped it up and fair play to him was a big player for us. But this season he's regressed to an absolute shambles in a leaky defence. However... I don't think his interview was that bad, its been clear all season that one title was the pinnacle of a number of our squads careers and they don't have the hunger or drive to push on and we know the dressing room is full of weak characters who probably did feel the game was over at half time. However in days gone by when we had proper characters playing for us, that kind of admission or attitude would have resulted in a crack in the jaw. 

But he cant point the finger at others when his own performance levels this season have been so poor and he's clearly been looking for a move away since the summer. 

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I don't see it as a negative actually the opposite. Gio can be left in no doubt what his job is in the short term. Getting the fire relight under the squad.

The challenge will be doing that I don't think Goldsons honesty is a bad thing. 

Hes done here mate. 

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Very little wrong with that tbh. Much better performance than he gave on the pitch.

Yeah, overall it's not quite as bad as I first thought (apart from seemingly giving up at half time). I hadn't initially seen/read his full comments.

Pretty alarming that we are in this position though and that our vice captain is saying this publicly. Probably now is the time for it to come to a head after such a poor performance and with Gio arriving.

22 minutes ago, Born Sinner said:

A team losing hunger after 1 trophy is a head scratcher. Confirms that this team needs its core refreshed.

Winning one trophy is enough to make you a legend at the majority of clubs. Sadly it looks the majority of them haven’t got out of that mentality.

33 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I just saw the interview and to be honest, I see nothing wrong with what he says. At least Goldson and Arfield had the balls to do a post-match interview whereas captain fantastic  is mia

Agreed with a lot of stuff to a point.

However don't agree with saying game over at halftime. That's a poor mentality.

Then saying lost the hunger after 1 trophy for me is unacceptable. I can't imagine any of our past players ever coming out with that. They would get slaughtered and Goldson should be no different.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Winning one trophy is enough to make you a legend at the majority of clubs. Sadly it looks the majority of them haven’t got out of that mentality.

Going on the piss for a week after sealing the title is the kind of thing that would happen at a Leicester City where you make the most of it as it'll probably never happen again, rather than getting a taste for more and pushing yourself even harder for the next one like the real great sportspeople do.