Goldson

GOAT

Kris Boyd's take...

EVEN grinning and laughing through TV interviews gets some people upset these days.

So you can leave me out of the Connor Goldson pile-on after his remarks on camera at Hampden last weekend.

OK, so the Rangers defender didn’t exactly tell the supporters what they wanted to hear after they’d just been hammered by Hibs.
I get it.
Saying he thought the game was over at half-time — when there were only two goals in it — wasn’t the smartest thing to come out with. I know.
But I don’t believe for one minute Goldson actually believed that.
For me, he was on the verge of saying one thing, thought better of it, and had a brain freeze on what to actually say next.
And before he knew it, he was babbling.

It’s not easy for players in that situation, when you know supporters are waiting for an explanation on a big defeat.
I’ve been there and it’s tough to get the tone right.
Goldson ended up like a rabbit in the headlights but the outcry was way over the top, if you ask me.
But then that’s the way of the world we live in, isn’t it?
It’s like some sections of society aren’t happy unless they’re vilifying someone and throwing their arms up in the air.
Had Goldson been playing 20 years ago and come out with that stuff, I don’t think many people would have batted an eyelid.
One thing I will say is that he was a man under pressure against Sparta Prague at Ibrox on Thursday night, because of that interview.
But then, they all were in that Rangers side.
The performance against Hibs was truly abysmal and smacked of something being off behind the scenes.
I’ve been saying it for a number of weeks now — long before Steven Gerrard disappeared — and it was there again at Hampden.

13 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

This really is gonny be the guy that absolutely no one had heard of until linked in the papers that everyone is gonny go on and on about isn’t it.

You’d rather lose the league?

I play FIFA a lot so had heard of him from there, watched a game or two of his and he looked solid. 

12 minutes ago, stevemac said:

The scum sold their donkey on a defender for 8 figures with less than 12 months left on his contract. We should expect to at least get our money back on him IMO 

But by the time we can sell him he can sign a pre contract with someone I'm pretty sure. I might be wrong and I hope I am because I'd like something back for a player who, like him or not, has been very important for us!

11 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

But by the time we can sell him he can sign a pre contract with someone I'm pretty sure. I might be wrong and I hope I am because I'd like something back for a player who, like him or not, has been very important for us!

just because someone can sign/has signed a pre contract doesn't mean the buying club can't buy out the contract (like we did with Kamara, for 50k in jan rather than free at the end of the season) Obviously we would get significantly more than 50k. We wouldn't get anything close to what they got for their donkey but I wouldn't be totally gutted if we at least made our money back (2-3m i think it was?) on him given his contract situation and downturn in performances this season vs last.

6 minutes ago, stevemac said:

just because someone can sign/has signed a pre contract doesn't mean the buying club can't buy out the contract (like we did with Kamara, for 50k in jan rather than free at the end of the season) Obviously we would get significantly more than 50k. We wouldn't get anything close to what they got for their donkey but I wouldn't be totally gutted if we at least made our money back (2-3m i think it was?) on him given his contract situation and downturn in performances this season vs last.

No doubt, I just think if we sell in January we're at the will of the buyer. If we got the 3 million I'd be very surprised especially when you consider there hasn't ever been much interest in him in the last 3 years.

This is before we even get into what happens if we do sell him in January. The whole situation is lose-lose. I think the safest situation is to keep him for the rest of the season considering he's still our most regular cb and can help us win the title and get into the CL. 

As you mentioned in your previous case we could pick up the guy you mentioned for a pre contract (or others if the option is there).

25 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

People will be in for a shock when they see how less steady we are without him at the back. 

I rate him, and have backed him to the hilt on here but unless he can turn things round and show he deserves to be in the team very sharpish, he's far from irreplaceable. 

Katic etc isn't the solution, a packet CB next to Helander (I know he wanked up for his lack of with decision making) could be the solution. 

12 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

I rate him, and have backed him to the hilt on here but unless he can turn things round and show he deserves to be in the team very sharpish, he's far from replaceable. 

Katic etc isn't the solution, a packet CB next to Helander (I know he wanked up for his lack of with decision making) could be the solution. 

Wow. :confused:

17 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

I rate him, and have backed him to the hilt on here but unless he can turn things round and show he deserves to be in the team very sharpish, he's far from replaceable. 

Think you mean irreplaceable but aye he really needs to step up now after the season he’s had so far plus his comments. Our lack of options sadly means we’re relying on him to make that step up 

2 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Think you mean irreplaceable but aye he really needs to step up now after the season he’s had so far plus his comments. Our lack of options sadly means we’re relying on him to make that step up 

Exactly what I meant and said imo