Alfredo's goal Arfield Positioning

goaaaal

Superb shout from Arfield demanding the ball in that area of the park.

I've lost count the number of times Glen Kamara has been in that position and made no attempt to demand the ball especially the first 15 minutes or so  he found himself three times in roughly the same position and made no attempt to shout or make an option for an infield pass that would've cancelled out the marker who was close but not tight .

This situation has been ever present with GK for me when we are probing down the wing .

The man in space could be offering himself it's a proven tactic as Arfield earlier in the season coming back into the side was effective in that very position so should GK as a lot of those silly goals we've lost have came off the back of these situations where a player hasn't shown to keep the move flowing and only Arfield appears wise to that very frequent place we find ourselves in where Tavs about to be closed out there's very limited options from others out with Arfield in keeping the move alive if Tavs in a stick or twist situation by going solo toward the byline .

It's something GK really needs to add to his play.

9 minutes ago, goaaaal said:

Superb shout from Arfield demanding the ball in that area of the park.

I've lost count the number of times Glen Kamara has been in that position and made no attempt to demand the ball especially the first 15 minutes or so  he found himself three times in roughly the same position and made no attempt to shout or make an option for an infield pass that would've cancelled out the marker who was close but not tight .

This situation has been ever present with GK for me when we are probing down the wing .

The man in space could be offering himself it's a proven tactic as Arfield earlier in the season coming back into the side was effective in that very position so should GK as a lot of those silly goals we've lost have came off the back of these situations where a player hasn't shown to keep the move flowing and only Arfield appears wise to that very frequent place we find ourselves in where Tavs about to be closed out there's very limited options from others out with Arfield in keeping the move alive if Tavs in a stick or twist situation by going solo toward the byline .

It's something GK really needs to add to his play.

I've read this 3 times and I'm struggling.

I think you're talking about Arfield taking up an advanced position? If so then yes it seems to be something different. We seem to play 1 holding mid (Kamara today) with two box to box players (Aribo & Arfield) who are given the freedom to get forward and go beyond the front three which is Refreshing.

baxters11 likes this

1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

Here you go mate, …..

Feel free to use a few of these bad boys in that killer paragraph.

I keep passing out trying to get through without a breather. Will try again after oxygen administered 👍

🤣🤣🤣 

Tough crowd tonight @goaaaal

Colin Traive likes this

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Arfield technically doesn't get an assist but Aribo gets his goal.

Bull shit. It's the same difference.

The point is about Arfields demand for the ball to assist in the flow of the play and Glen Kamara being in similar positions to Arfield and standing idle in much the same situation and the resultant move by Arfield being more successful .

Arfield shows positivity Kamara in that situation shows negativity hence why the move breaks down .

As it stands imo  Kamara is in that position far more yet should be more of an impact but fails to offer himself on a regular basis to take the ball and make the kind of run Arfield did today that was presented to him in that situation in a lot of games .

4 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Different players, different roles maybe? 

I've made the point purely based on what I've watched for if both players are in that position like Arfield was today then GK should be able to mirror exactly what SA did today .

1 minute ago, goaaaal said:

The point is about Arfields demand for the ball to assist in the flow of the play and Glen Kamara being in similar positions to Arfield and standing idle in much the same situation and the resultant move by Arfield being more successful .

Arfield shows positivity Kamara in that situation shows negativity hence why the move breaks down .

As it stands imo  Kamara is in that position far more yet should be more of an impact but fails to offer himself on a regular basis to take the ball and make the kind of run Arfield did today that was presented to him in that situation in a lot of games .

Arfield passed the ball to Alfie. It deflected just like Aribo's goal did. Assist imo.

Just now, goaaaal said:

I've made the point purely based on what I've watched for if both players are in that position like Arfield was today then GK should be able to mirror exactly what SA did today .

Some players have that ability in their armoury, to run past the forwards etc, some don't. 

Best player way back I've seen doing it for us, or anyone, was Ian Durrant before his injury. He was immense at it. 

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Arfield passed the ball to Alfie. It deflected just like Aribo's goal did. Assist imo.

Its not about the deflection it's about the demand for the ball from the wing or wide right for the infield pass .

The fact Arfield showed himself to take and make the run infield is something that isn't utilised enough to keep play moving .

1 minute ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Some players have that ability in their armoury, to run past the forwards etc, some don't. 

Best player way back I've seen doing it for us, or anyone, was Ian Durrant before his injury. He was immense at it. 

Absolutely but it's a bog standard infield pass, turn and take the ball then the options become greater especially when you see the way Alfie kept at it ditto Fashion albeit he was one on one for his wide attempt and saved one but point is it's a simple enough manoeuvre that Scott Arfield changed to his advantage that any player should he able to achieve in that situation .

3 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Aribo and Kamara play contrasting positions. 

I like the way Gio asks Arfield to push forward. Sets him up with the overlap for back passes and square passes and rebounds nicely.

It would help if he actually told us what area of the park he was on about. Bewildered. 

I am happy with the way Gio is asking Arfield to overlap with the strikers. Arfield can run in early and set someone up or run in late for the rebound. Bamboozles opposition defences. 

Kamara is a totally different player. Keep him covering our defence and breaking play up. Should rarely be near the opposition box though as he can't shoot for shit imo. I don't see any issue as things stand. Gio has tweaked the tactics to get the best out of them imo. 

When Arfield demanded that ball he was inside left position same place Kamara found himself in numerous times this season .

Quite how he can't drift toward the wing when he's hovering on the edge of the box is baffling as Arfield found it no problem from the same position and delivered an end product purely in how he made that move today .

If you saw how the goal came about you'd clearly see which position I'm talking about in relation to Arfield and where I expect Kamara to be as effective in the same position .

4 minutes ago, goaaaal said:

Absolutely but it's a bog standard infield pass, turn and take the ball then the options become greater especially when you see the way Alfie kept at it ditto Fashion albeit he was one on one for his wide attempt and saved one but point is it's a simple enough manoeuvre that Scott Arfield changed to his advantage that any player should he able to achieve in that situation .

It would be good to find a younger version of player that has that natural ability to do what Arfield does. Not easy to come by tbh. 

Can be coached, but on his game not many midfielders in Scottish football right now can do it. 

Malkytfp1 and Smile like this

1 minute ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

It would be good to find a younger version of player that has that natural ability to do what Arfield does. Not easy to come by tbh. 

Can be coached, but on his game not many midfielders in Scottish football right now can do it. 

Glen Kamara should be able to do a mirror image of Arfields move without breaking a sweat in all honesty mate .

I just want to see him show the same aptitude that Scotty Arfield showed today and has done when they are in similar situations .

3 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Very true. Someone like Hagi could really learn from Arfield. His football brain is brilliant.

Smile and goaaaal like this

Glen Kamara should be able to do a mirror image of Arfields move without breaking a sweat in all honesty mate .

I just want to see him show the same aptitude that Scotty Arfield showed today and has done when they are in similar situations .

They are two different players but. That's what arfields strong point is. His movement and awareness in the final third. Some of the things Kamara does in midfield Arfield wouldn't do as well like turning under pressure or finding that yard of space in a packed midfield.

That's like saying years back you should turn a Ray Wilkins or for want of a less skilful player, Nigel Spackman into a dynamic midfielder like Ian Durrant. 

Midfielders have their own traits/qualities mate. 

When Arfield demanded that ball he was inside left position same place Kamara found himself in numerous times this season .

Quite how he can't drift toward the wing when he's hovering on the edge of the box is baffling as Arfield found it no problem from the same position and delivered an end product purely in how he made that move today .

If you saw how the goal came about you'd clearly see which position I'm talking about in relation to Arfield and where I expect Kamara to be as effective in the same position .

I prefer Kamara didn't drift to the wing, get caught out of position and leave us open to a counter attack. 

They are players with contrasting abilities and different duties. Comparing chalk and cheese here mate. 

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Very true. Someone like Hagi could really learn from Arfield. His football brain is brilliant.

So Arfield hasn't made a difference coming into our team? 

Splits a defence more by his movement, as opposed to Hagi with his passing. Again, two different types of players.