Michael Mols - Behind the smile.

bluenose244

22 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

Watched this when I parked up last night, seen it years ago as I'm sure many have but well worth a rewatch.

Heavy nostalgia watching one of the best Rangers teams on the eye ever in my opinion and fitting for the time that his first action in a Rangers shirt was setting up a young Gio. 🇳🇱

Was always a fight when we played in the street who got to play as Michael Mols.

11072110165782_l.jpg

What a player! 

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

The standard of player we had back then was much, much higher than now. Great times.

Absolutely this, the standard of footballer getting paid in this shite hole is disgraceful, the players up against the scum on Sunday were particularly bad at doing even just the basics.

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Probably the best start to a Rangers career in my life time alongside Marco Negri. But he was a better footballer than Negri and he done it in Europe.

He was brilliant but I think maybe (and this is going to be extremely controversial) overrated by our support because of his injury when he got it as it became a bit of a what if.

Its possible that was just an outstanding purple patch of his career given his age and that none of the big three had come in for him (had started his career at Ajax but was released).

Not unheard of for Ajax to release good youth players, they rightfully have held the number one spot for producing talent for many years and that's no coincidence but they have been known to let some slip through the cracks.

He was exceptional at Utrecht and was top goalscorer in the Eredivise the season before his move to Ibrox, it was said in the documentary Ajax were one of the clubs in for him that summer, he put 6 past them in the years following his release.

Even during his time at Twente he was scoring regularly against Ajax domestically.

1 hour ago, bluenose244 said:

Not unheard of for Ajax to release good youth players, they rightfully have held the number one spot for producing talent for many years and that's no coincidence but they have been known to let some slip through the cracks.

He was exceptional at Utrecht and was top goalscorer in the Eredivise the season before his move to Ibrox, it was said in the documentary Ajax were one of the clubs in for him that summer, he put 6 past them in the years following his release.

Even during his time at Twente he was scoring regularly against Ajax domestically.

Sorry but he wasn't top scorer the year before - he was fourth equal with Vinegar of Castlemilk behind Van Nistelrooy and Luc Nillis. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Sorry but he wasn't top scorer the year before - he was fourth equal with Vinegar of Castlemilk behind Van Nistelrooy and Luc Nillis. 

Apologies, that documentary said he was top scorer and got golden boot obviously a club accolade and not for the league.

6 hours ago, BlueboyG said:

Brilliant player that turn he did was just excellent.

only 2 players I've ever seen who could turn as good was Maradonna and Ronaldo (the Brazilian).

Ronaldo actually suffered the same injury and had to adjust afterwards as his knee was also fucked and couldn't turn like that anymore.  Difference was, he was an absolute powerhouse and just a phenominal all round player.  With Mols it was such a massive part of his game that he was never the same afterwards.  Just such an awful shame for the boy, he was on his way to becoming an absolute legend.

12 hours ago, El-Hadji Spit RFC said:

Outstanding player, such a shame the injury came when it did… world beater!! 

Even though I know what happens everytime I see the footage I still hope he pulls out..

The most unnecessary injury and waste I've ever seen on a football pitch.

15 hours ago, Inigo said:

The standard of player we had back then was much, much higher than now. Great times.

I’ve said this before on here but that Advocaat/Nike period was probably the high watermark of the club in terms of the players, stadium, merch and retail, training ground etc.

16 hours ago, bluenose244 said:

Watched this when I parked up last night, seen it years ago as I'm sure many have but well worth a rewatch.

Heavy nostalgia watching one of the best Rangers teams on the eye ever in my opinion and fitting for the time that his first action in a Rangers shirt was setting up a young Gio. 🇳🇱

Was always a fight when we played in the street who got to play as Michael Mols.

11072110165782_l.jpg

I remember watching this on VHS over and over and over again when I was younger.

Can you imagine the amount of free kicks and penalties he'd get these days in the league with his twists and turns inside those packed defences. 

His first European game against Haka yer thinking this guy is pretty decent by the time the Parma games came around it was like this guy is a genius.

18 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Probably the best start to a Rangers career in my life time alongside Marco Negri. But he was a better footballer than Negri and he done it to an extent in Europe.

He was brilliant but I think maybe (and this is going to be extremely controversial) overrated by our support because of his injury when he got it as it became a bit of a what if.

Its possible that was just an outstanding purple patch of his career given his age and that none of the big three had come in for him (had started his career at Ajax but was released).

I honestly think if we look back he was at the absolute peak of his career in a particularly good purple patch when he had his injury, and was probably going to decline similar to how he did anyway.

We lost out on some of his peak, absolutely no doubt about that. But he was nearly 30 at that point so to think he was going to improve beyond how he played at first just wouldn't have happened. 

4 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’ve said this before on here but that Advocaat/Nike period was probably the high watermark of the club in terms of the players, stadium, merch and retail, training ground etc.

100% spot on.

I've tried to describe that period before and "high water mark" sums it up perfectly.

The standard of everything declined after that.