Squad depth

KeyserSoze

The squads fine given our financial limitations , its just tonight it got hit with an unusual amount of unavailables.  

Don't want to criticise Gio because he's done well , but the problem was sitting in too deep . He could also have used his subs earlier than he did . 

6 hours ago, bluenoz said:

No team can afford to lose their best players. Liverpool look ordinary right now without Salah & Mane.

Correct ,

For me it’s about missing too many players that can make a difference in to how the team plays .

Soon as I saw the line up last night I saw trouble .We still had better players than them but it was far from out best TEAM .

We knew Aribo ,Arfield and Davis wouldn’t be there .All 3 of those offer something important to the way we play ,We can lose 1 or 2 and still be effective but losing all 3 against a team working its baws off will prove difficult to win .

Gio obviously has no time for Lundstram .No way should  an untried Sands have started in front him last night .He would have at least offered a bit more in the middle .

In all getting a draw when you factor in the performance of that clown with the whistle is actually a decent result .Pity it doesn’t feel like it though .

We missed 5 starters last night. Helander, Jack, Arfield, Aribo and Roofe - arguably the best CB and AM in the league. 

Can even throw Davis in as he’s back up to that. Even Balogun who isn’t match ready yet, and you’ve got 7 guys who had been likely in for a start there. 

That’s a huge hit on the squad, first game back after the winter break at the 2nd / 3rd toughest venue we’d go to. 

We were absolutely honking though, as we’ve been for most of the season. Got away with it at Hibs under Gio. Mitigating circumstances last night, but no where near good enough. 

7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

They have brought in four Japanese players who have all played around 50+ games so far.

You just made that up. Also, J League ended on 4th December so they’ve all had a fair rest. 

As has already been said, the problem is the number of players unavailable. It's bad enough having injuries and suspension. Then you throw in the African Nations and World Cup qualifiers.

I think it's only Roofe and Sands affected by the latter, but it's two players we might be glad of.

I know that the other mob are likely to lose more players, but I think domestic football should be paused if World Cup qualifiers are taking place.

35 minutes ago, RoboBear said:

As has already been said, the problem is the number of players unavailable. It's bad enough having injuries and suspension. Then you throw in the African Nations and World Cup qualifiers.

I think it's only Roofe and Sands affected by the latter, but it's two players we might be glad of.

I know that the other mob are likely to lose more players, but I think domestic football should be paused if World Cup qualifiers are taking place.

Or here’s an idea,

what about if we have players that can step in for those missing and it’s seamless and still a capable team 

now there’s a good idea 

The squad is largely fine, apart from needing a couple of 1st team players at RW and at a 8 or 10. There is quite a bit of depth already when you think about it. We still put out a team more than capable of beating anyone in this league last night with a whole host of players unavailable.

It's pretty unrealistic to expect 22 top of the range, first team capable players on our budget. 

41 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Or here’s an idea,

what about if we have players that can step in for those missing and it’s seamless and still a capable team 

now there’s a good idea 

This is defo what we have to address most of all in the transition between Gerrard and Gio and most are already calling for it. We've build a team to play with two 6s and two, sometimes three, 10s. Now we have a manager that like's two 8s and two wingers.

The last 18 months we've been so strong because of our depth but now we're in a position where we don't have the depth in the places we need it!

Results like last night happen but it should certainly give Ross Wilson a wee shake!

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Or here’s an idea,

now there’s a good idea 

It is a good idea, but where would those players come from. I don't think many of our B team could make the step up. The European market is over priced. So we would be looking at America Africa and possibly Far East. So same problem.

celtic have just brought in 3 players and look like losing all of them in a couple of weeks.

Also if we bring in more players of a good enough quality to step in, would these players be happy to sit on the bench when we have a full squad available.

I would say we MAY need a couple more players, but more than that we need less demands on our current squad.

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We’ve been playing so well over the past couple of months that I forgot how chronic it is on here when a result doesn’t go our way.

No perspective whatsoever. 7 league wins and a draw away to the Sheep. The majority would have bitten your hand off for that. 
we’ve got issues and the team/squad needs strengthening but fuck me it’s not the end of days.

3 hours ago, gmcf said:

The squads fine given our financial limitations , its just tonight it got hit with an unusual amount of unavailables.  

Don't want to criticise Gio because he's done well , but the problem was sitting in too deep . He could also have used his subs earlier than he did . 

Stop making exsues ffs.

We got bullied aw er the park, 11 hungry players v us.

Hate to say it, but we need young scottish bluenoses of sorts in games like last night.

We havent got many that buzz about the park like the sheep last night.

Sometimes too many foreigners at pittrodrie and tynecastle is a bad thing, not the same impotus to get about the park.

We were schooled by fkn mccrorie and david fkn bates fs, both them were winning every high ball and pushing us up psst thr halfway line.

Gio wants to learm fucking fast here, last night was unnaceptable.

Aberdeem on a cauld Jan night isnt for everyone.

Id honestly have had mccrorie in my team last night before anyone we had, he had his uses for certain games... ie last night, win the baw, be aggresive and tight then pass thr ball sideways or back to a ball player. Done that few times for us then Gerrard dropped him...

Missing a proper hardy scoittish bluenose on the park in games like last night.

You need to win the battle before you can win the game.

Technical ability counts for nothing, just see hagi for ex....

6 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Stop making exsues ffs.

We got bullied aw er the park, 11 hungry players v us.

Hate to say it, but we need young scottish bluenoses of sorts in games like last night.

We havent got many that buzz about the park like the sheep last night.

Sometimes too many foreigners at pittrodrie and tynecastle is a bad thing, not the same impotus to get about the park.

We were schooled by fkn mccrorie and david fkn bates fs, both them were winning every high ball and pushing us up psst thr halfway line.

Gio wants to learm fucking fast here, last night was unnaceptable.

Aberdeem on a cauld Jan night isnt for everyone.

Id honestly have had mccrorie in my team last night before anyone we had, he had his uses for certain games... ie last night, win the baw, be aggresive and tight then pass thr ball sideways or back to a ball player. Done that few times for us then Gerrard dropped him...

Missing a proper hardy scoittish bluenose on the park in games like last night.

You need to win the battle before you can win the game.

Technical ability counts for nothing, just see hagi for ex....

I remember we played a good number of Scottish bluenoses against Celtic in the cup. We got skudded 4-0 and didn’t try a leg.

That idea goes completely down the pan.

We have a big squad, which is well stocked in most positions.

But we don't have a top quality right winger, and on evidence of what we've seen so far, Lundstrum has been a waste of money, Bacuna not doing enough evidently so we're weak in midfield when key players are out, despite having squad numbers.

We need to get rid of Lundstrum pronto, for the wages he's likely on we need far, far more.

11 hours ago, Creampuff said:

We have, quite comfortably, the deepest squad in the league. Of all the complaints, this isn’t it.

Agreed, squad depth definitely not the issue - we're incredibly unlucky to have so many players unavailable. 

Missing last night: Roofe, Davis, Arfield, Helander, Aribo, Jack - that's six first team players, four of who play in the middle - it's blatantly obvious that's where we'd struggle last night and there is no way a team is going to have 9 first choice picks for the same two/three positions.

I think our depth is fine. We had a 5-6 players out last night. No squad with that many players out isn't going to experience some kind of drop off. 

We do need to add in this window.

We need a first team ready RW. We don't have an automatic pick there. 

We're also going to need another midfielder. Happy to be proved wrong but Bacuna looks like a panic buy.

Lundstram is better being moved on, easier said than done of course.

For those kind of wages we should be expecting someone that starts every week. Not a squad player. 

1 hour ago, They Gnu said:

No perspective whatsoever. 7 league wins and a draw away to the Sheep. The majority would have bitten your hand off for that. 
we’ve got issues and the team/squad needs strengthening but fuck me it’s not the end of days.

Yes agree it excellent but the problem is that Aberdeen team are shit and we should have got all three points.

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

We have 1 league defeat in 60 and folk are suddenly banging on about how Celtic's squad is better than ours because they've signed three random cunts from Japan nobody has ever heard of

Mental.

Tbf, by end of this week they’ll have signed 4 players in this window to boost their starting line-up/squad.

Meanwhile over at Ibrox…

6 minutes ago, Smile said:

Yes agree it excellent but the problem is that Aberdeen team are shit and we should have got all three points.

That’s the reality of football though. We aren’t going to get three points every week. There’s always going to be results like last night over the course of a season. There’s no need to claim a doomsday scenario off the back of it, and that’s what plenty have been doing last night and today.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

That’s the reality of football though. We aren’t going to get three points every week. There’s always going to be results like last night over the course of a season. There’s no need to claim a doomsday scenario off the back of it, and that’s what plenty have been doing last night and today.

Welcome to a football forum.

33 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

With a glass half empty view, you could also say we’ve been quite lucky under Gio and there’s real problems to address - miracle save in the last min to go through in Europe, late pen to beat Hibs, Hearts hitting the woodwork multiple times, and then last night we were just howling.