Squad depth

KeyserSoze

43 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Tbf, by end of this week they’ll have signed 4 players in this window to boost their starting line-up/squad.

Meanwhile over at Ibrox…

...but they *had* to mate.

They have signed 4 more and still aren't as good as us - they need many more.

What we need is only 1 or 2 - but they have to be top quality, first team starters. 

5 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

With a glass half empty view, you could also say we’ve been quite lucky under Gio and there’s real problems to address - miracle save in the last min to go through in Europe, late pen to beat Hibs, Hearts hitting the woodwork multiple times, and then last night we were just howling. 

If you want to win the league you are always going to need an element of luck though.

6 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Yes, in the next week.

Do we really think that is happening?

I don’t.

Are they linked with another 4? I hadn't seen anything, I thought you were referring to the signings made so far

8 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

...but they *had* to mate.

They have signed 4 more and still aren't as good as us - they need many more.

What we need is only 1 or 2 - but they have to be top quality, first team starters. 

Time running out. We've only got a week and a bit left. 

Hopefully deals being worked on.

We need RW and CM added before this window shuts. 

54 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

That’s the reality of football though. We aren’t going to get three points every week. There’s always going to be results like last night over the course of a season. There’s no need to claim a doomsday scenario off the back of it, and that’s what plenty have been doing last night and today.

This is an element I feel far too much people forget about, at times it seems like there’s posters who genuinely think we should be winning every game 5-0 regardless of opposition, injuries, suspensions or any other factor. 

Winning a league is as much about how you recover from setbacks and making sure they are as few and far between, results like that last night are going to happen it’s a part of the game. 

6 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Are they linked with another 4? I hadn't seen anything, I thought you were referring to the signings made so far

No they signed 3 who played against Hibs and another one en route.

They might indeed have needed them but they identified and signed before season resumed.

According to the fan media we are looking at only a right winger. That alone is worrying but if indeed the case then get it done before Livingston.

2 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

Stop making exsues ffs.

We got bullied aw er the park, 11 hungry players v us.

Hate to say it, but we need young scottish bluenoses of sorts in games like last night.

We havent got many that buzz about the park like the sheep last night.

Sometimes too many foreigners at pittrodrie and tynecastle is a bad thing, not the same impotus to get about the park.

We were schooled by fkn mccrorie and david fkn bates fs, both them were winning every high ball and pushing us up psst thr halfway line.

Gio wants to learm fucking fast here, last night was unnaceptable.

Aberdeem on a cauld Jan night isnt for everyone.

Id honestly have had mccrorie in my team last night before anyone we had, he had his uses for certain games... ie last night, win the baw, be aggresive and tight then pass thr ball sideways or back to a ball player. Done that few times for us then Gerrard dropped him...

Missing a proper hardy scoittish bluenose on the park in games like last night.

You need to win the battle before you can win the game.

Technical ability counts for nothing, just see hagi for ex....

Nah . I used to think like that - play guys that would run  their heart out for us . The problem is thats not enough , you have to have the ability too . And there's not many in Scotland have that . Why else do you think Scottish teams get knocked out of Europe by nobodies .

That's not to say I'm against signing Scottish players  but realistically , outside of maybe Lewis Ferguson , who is good enough ? There's not many about . 

No , technically we have a good squad of players , though I do agree that sometimes we fail to match opponents fervour , and maybe that's what needs to improve . 

14 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

I would say Aribo, Kent and Morelos are best in the league and pip Kyogo, Jota, Maeda. 

But Rogic, Hatate, Forrest, Turnbull, Abada is probably stronger now than Arfield, Hagi, Sakala, Wright, Davis, Roofe

I think Rogic and Turnbull combined have about 3 times the goal contributions of the 6 above combined.

Rab take a day off....you are mentioning 2 Japanese players that has played 1 game for them ffs:lol:

I'd say our squad overall is probably the strongest but we have so many out now in the midfield it isn't easy to cover, especially with how we play now.

With GVB most of our creativity comes from the midfield instead of via overlapping fullbacks as with Gerrard so we really felt it last night. We had to change that as we were leaking goals (not helped by also losing Balogun and Helander) which has stopped with the formation change.

Overall we've accommodated injuries well this season but Davis, Aribo, Jack and Arfield is a massive miss for us, given at least 2 of them would probably have started last night had they been fit, but it highlights that when we don't have especially Aribo we are very light creatively in that area. Also, longer term, clearly Arfield and Davis' days are numbered at this level and questions are there about Jack longer term so that area is a priority right now.  

14 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Arfield has added some energy to the midfield ,Davis has the best brain in the Scottish game and Aribo ,well we all see what he gives us .Losing 2 we could possibly manage with but all 3 is  hard .It means those taking their place need to be in their game .That didn’t happen .

Aribo and Arfield were the big misses last night. They are the ones that can break the lines and create for us. Midfield last night really struggled in this area. 

Really think we need to add another midfielder before the window closes that can offer more creativity.

Lundstram isn't going to do this and Bacuna has barely been in the side. 

3 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Yes, in the next week.

Do we really think that is happening?

I don’t.

They will "buy" this league by signing whatever it takes. They know you need to spend to get a return whereas we just shrug our shoulders and think everything's A-OK. 

We would sell anyone at the 11th hour for the right money - knowing we can't replace them - because the board, manager and consultants are so fucking far apart on whats needed.

3 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Need a quality midfielder who will go straight in, preferably experienced in British football. 

Neither Lundstrum nor Mccarthy across the city seem able to cope with with current pace of the game here. I'm not sure how important experience in British football is tbh. 

I'd happily take a signing capable of being a 1st team starter from loads of European leagues, even if they've never set foot in the UK.