Squad depth

KeyserSoze

19 hours ago, bluenoz said:

When fit or available, Aribo, Jack & Helander walk into the starting team. Balogun will play on Friday and maybe Roofe. 

Our depth is fine.

Is it, mate, when the 2 of the first 3 you mention are permanent or semi-permanent sick notes (with Roofe)?

Got a lot of players on the books, certainly, several of whom aren’t doing us a vast amount of good.

Now hearing Alf misses the scum game for a (likely) bench warming role across the water.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Neither Lundstrum nor Mccarthy across the city seem able to cope with with current pace of the game here. I'm not sure how important experience in British football is tbh. 

I'd happily take a signing capable of being a 1st team starter from loads of European leagues, even if they've never set foot in the UK.

Just feel they are more likely to hit the ground running like Davis Mendes etc did but you are probably correct 

1 hour ago, Lord Lockin said:

We need some fucker in the middle of the park that can handle themselves and put a mark down on teams that set out just to bully us 

Aye - between Brown, Hayes & McCrorie, they had all the thuggery required to knock us out of our stride.

1 hour ago, HG5 said:

Aye - between Brown, Hayes & McCrorie, they had all the thuggery required to knock us out of our stride.

We weren’t up for this game at all mate. Deserved what we got. Hoping Gio now sees what’s required after that shite last night. Let’s see what the end of the window brings because changes have to be made. 

24 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

As soon as we drop points people start with the “we need a right hard bastard” patter. It’s a total cliche these days.

We haven’t even had a “hard man” player in well over 20 years as well 😂 

35 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

As soon as we drop points people start with the “we need a right hard bastard” patter. It’s a total cliche these days.

nothing to do with dropping points it's a fact - if you think what brown, griffiths etc have got away with over the years I don't 

8 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

nothing to do with dropping points it's a fact - if you think what brown, griffiths etc have got away with over the years I don't 

Wanting somebody on the park because they will get stuck in about the couple of players who noise us up a little bit is exactly the sort of backwards thinking 80’s mentality that people constantly say holds Scottish football back.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Wanting somebody on the park because they will get stuck in about the couple of players who noise us up a little bit is exactly the sort of backwards thinking 80’s mentality that people constantly say holds Scottish football back.

I want the full team to get stuck in not one player - aye and Scottish football's going forward in leaps and bounds 

6 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

I want the full team to get stuck in not one player - aye and Scottish football's going forward in leaps and bounds 

You’ve sort of proven my point for me here.

The only team in Scottish football dragging it forward in any sort of form, especially on the European stage, is us and that’s because we aren’t a team who fill our team with limited grafters who have to resort to caveman hatchet job tactics because they are being outplayed.

Why do you think teams like Aberdeen get scudded out of Europe before the schools are back every season? 

18 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

You’ve sort of proven my point for me here.

The only team in Scottish football dragging it forward in any sort of form, especially on the European stage, is us and that’s because we aren’t a team who fill our team with limited grafters who have to resort to caveman hatchet job tactics because they are being outplayed.

Why do you think teams like Aberdeen get scudded out of Europe before the schools are back every season? 

Playing in Europe is totally different to play in the SPL - most teams in the SPL try and turn the games into a battle - last night an example - and you need the players to stand toe to toe with these fuckers and for me it just doesn't happen or is that me back in the 80's 

Just now, Lord Lockin said:

Playing in Europe is totally different to play in the SPL - most teams in the SPL try and turn the games into a battle - last night an example - and you need the players to stand toe to toe with these fuckers and for me it just doesn't happen or is that me back in the 80's 

The issue here is any players that goes toe to toe like you say with the hatchet men and try to get stuck in for us. They will be on the end of a lot of red cards.

Officials in this country have sent our players off for less. Even if it didn't happen during the game you would have the band of pundits along soon after calling non-stop for retrospective bans. 

We showed last season how to deal with these arseholes. Play them right off the park and make them irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Hadron Collider said:

We weren’t up for this game at all mate. Deserved what we got. Hoping Gio now sees what’s required after that shite last night. Let’s see what the end of the window brings because changes have to be made. 

Too true, mate.

Could do with some movement, and fast - 2 weeks til the crunch!

1 hour ago, Lord Lockin said:

100% the battle need won first, we really dont have any, jack, arfield at most, we were bullied and pushed up the park.

Sheep den and tynecastle isnt no ttechnical, its the biggest game and best game of their seasons, we are too weak

40 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

To be honest, I don’t think it’s someone ‘getting stuck in’ that we need, or that that’s  what people really mean.

I think it’s more we need midfielders who we can rely on with proper leadership, presence and bravery on the ball to step up and dictate play.

Kamara’s classy, but he just doesn’t have that confidence/personality/balls to do it. Jack and Arfield are perennially injured and Lundstram’s shite. We need Davis and Aribo back pronto, and a new signing.

If Kamara and Aribo go in the summer, we’re looking at replacing an entire midfield, which should never have been allowed to happen.

It's been totally neglected for too long, I'm guessing lunny was meant to improve it but he's abysmal. We must sign a player this window.

5 hours ago, Blue Viking said:

We are going to be in real trouble, If we do not strengthen this midfield by the end of this Jan window.

I'm totally underwhelmed by the last 2 transfer windows. We have spent basically nothing and signed squad player after squad player. This window we have Souttar who won't play until next season and Sands who is also a squad player. I'd argue we have not signed anyone who will improve our first 11. If we don't improve we could well be in trouble as you say. It's hard to say what will happen second half of the season but it's clear that celtic have improved from last season. Frankly I don't think we have, in fact i'd say our levels are below last year, and our signings have not made things any easier. It is imperative we sign one player who can start for and improve us, in midfield and in this window. No more potential or squad signings. I don't blame Gio for this. He has shored us up and got us playing better, but it doesn't hide the fact we are really lacking some quality. We need someone dynamic and attack minded to come into the side. There may be things going on behind the scenes but the early window positivity of getting deals done early is being replaced with no movement at all. Surely the board have to be aware of the significance of this season.

43 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

I'm totally underwhelmed by the last 2 transfer windows. We have spent basically nothing and signed squad player after squad player. This window we have Souttar who won't play until next season and Sands who is also a squad player. I'd argue we have not signed anyone who will improve our first 11. If we don't improve we could well be in trouble as you say. It's hard to say what will happen second half of the season but it's clear that celtic have improved from last season. Frankly I don't think we have, in fact i'd say our levels are below last year, and our signings have not made things any easier. It is imperative we sign one player who can start for and improve us, in midfield and in this window. No more potential or squad signings. I don't blame Gio for this. He has shored us up and got us playing better, but it doesn't hide the fact we are really lacking some quality. We need someone dynamic and attack minded to come into the side. There may be things going on behind the scenes but the early window positivity of getting deals done early is being replaced with no movement at all. Surely the board have to be aware of the significance of this season.

Spot on mate. Our recruitment in last 2 windows hasn't been great.

It's either squad or project players that need development. I've no doubt Lundstram was seen as a first team pick when signed by previous management. But it hasn't worked out. 

I think we need 2 players that come in and improve our first team. CM is one but we also need a RW. We don't imo have an automatic pick.

Wright is a squad player and Hagi doesn't work out there. 

If we can add those 2 I'd be a lot more confident in the league.

8 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

Couldn't agree more - every morning when I wake up - coffee and toast ready, sit down at the computer to read the news and see who we have signed - and it's the same disappointing shit every morning " Nothing " - but those fuckers are signing left, right and center and are strengthening every where.

Huge stake and money to be made by winning the league this season, never had this situation before- Scottish champions direct into the champions league and a huge sum of money into the bank and we are fucking around again with transfer windows.

Skov Olsen and Danilho Doekhi - 2 players that we seem to be chasing - I would be so happy if we got these players - so come on, get the bloody finger out and bring them to Glasgow.

We need them now and not this shite !   we got our man and he will be here after the summer - that is like - Okay we are of to war tomorrow, and our guns will arrive in 5/6 months.