Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

Tired of the Gio vs Gerrard debate. 

Judging gio on his own merits. In Europe delivered Europa league final and champions league football. Domestically Scottish cup under his belt. 

Concerns but in the league. Blew a 6 point lead after the winter break, away record isn't great and yet to win against the scum in the league. 

Last season league was blamed on the players with gio needing his own squad. But if gio didn't trust these players to do what he wants why did some get new deals. Do we really belive Wilson walked in and told gio tav, goldson, Davis and Arfield were getting new deals without his say so. This is his squad now. 

After weekend results we've got a chance to go top of the league next game. We need to see improvement and win at tynecastle would be a good step forward. 

49 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Tbf gerrard punching above his weight is a bit of a sleight of hand given aberdeen twice, hearts, st mirren and st johnstone all pumped him out of cups, along with his absolutely brutal record against the likes of hibs, killie, sheep etc

Was the squad progressing under gerrard, maybe, up until the end of the title season then massively went backwards as we went back to a style that focused on morelos only, if he didnt play well we were fucked 

Is the squad progressing now, well no, but arguably the difference between gio and gerrard is that gerrard never once had to sell off his better players, losing bassey and aribo has hurt us no doubt, gerrard never had that to deal with

Do i think we can win silverware this season, yup we're still in 4 competitions, cups can be hit or miss, and were only a shocking ref performance away from being joint top of the league, do i think we are playing well, not completely, we're still dominating teams just not scoring enough, but we are creating chances even if the displays are boring, 16 attempts yesterday with 6 on target, another 2 of them on target (the two sitters) and the result looks way better than it is

Hell if mcgregor doesn't fuck the goal or kent tracked the runner, the result still looks very comfortable if not the best

We all want swashbuckling football, but when did we last have that consistently in reality? 

I said about cups being poor yet me still believing he was punching above his weight. IHe won the league and fucked their 10iar so I'll say he did well In the grand scheme of things. No sleight of hand if the league is the absolute priority.

30 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Gerrard punched above his weight :lol:

He finished second to a bang average tarrier side that was managed by Neil Lennon. 

He lost in the cups to St Mirren, St Johnstone, Aberdeen x2, and Hearts.

Even when we won the league it wasn’t punching above our weight. 

Pretty sure I've said his cup record was shite 

Did he spend more or less than his main competitors to build a squad to win rhe league?

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I said about cups being poor yet me still believing he was punching above his weight. IHe won the league and fucked their 10iar so I'll say he did well In the grand scheme of things. No sleight of hand if the league is the absolute priority.

Winning one title and no trophies in scotland in 3 years, 2 of them against a neil lennon celtic side is not punching above his weight no matter how its put

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Pretty sure I've said his cup record was shite 

Did he spend more or less than his main competitors to build a squad to win rhe league?

Does that mean punching above his weight? If we win the league this season we haven’t punched above our weight

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Winning one title and no trophies in scotland in 3 years, 2 of them against a neil lennon celtic side is not punching above his weight no matter how its put

Whilst spending less and with the dug shite squad he inherited compared to Celtics repeat league winning squad?

Fuck off man 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Does that mean punching above his weight? If we win the league this season we haven’t punched above our weight

If Gio wins the league this season he is hugely punching above his weight.

It's not a difficult concept tbh.

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Ok, lets look at it in it's own right then.....

16 away games, 9 wins, 5 draws and 2 losses.......is that title winning form?

How long are we going to use the Euro run as credit in the bank?

Did you think we turned a corner with the win yesterday, what positives did you see? Fast, attacking, confident football? Nope. How about keeping the zero? Nope. How about individuals continuously underperforming being dropped? Nope.

If you want to be optimistic about it fine but I think most can see the squad aren't  playing for the manager, so you can use the European run as an example of why he should be given as much time as he needs however the writing is on the wall if he has lost the squad (regardless of where the real blame lies).

See when we talk about gios away record, why do you never take into account that two of they draws would be wins if we werent cheated by the officials, no other eay about it, united away and hibs away was just fucking cheating

And thats not even giving him the benefit of individual errors costing him at county as well, 

3 away draws that, if his luck was better, would be wins

But if we wanna discount the county game as it was his team selection, the united game and hibs game, 2 draws turned to wins make it 11 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses, 

Gerrards first season we failed to win in 10 out of 19 away games his second season it was 5 from 15 and given how we were playing when covid hit it might we have been 9 from 19 by time season finished

This squad of players has never had a good away record when the pressure is on, 

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Winning any league title against a team that is hugely dominant, cost millions more, and had millions more added to it comparatively is absolutely punching above your weight.

Our cup performances were abysmal. But that's not even comparable to winning a 38 game competition against the odds on favourite that the scum were.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Whilst spending less and with the dug shite squad he inherited compared to Celtics repeat league winning squad?

Fuck off man 🤣🤣🤣

The dug shite squad he inherited, the squad that he made ten signings in the summer and another 3 by end of jan, 

Fuck sake you make it sound like he never spent a penny, that summer he spent around 8 million quid on his defence alone, 

Oh and we'll not mention the huge wages spent on guys like defoe, davis on loan? 

7 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If Gio wins the league this season he is hugely punching above his weight.

It's not a difficult concept tbh.

He absolutely isn’t.

Beating a rotten manager, with a bang average squad, and don’t forgot how celebrated the decision to give Lennon the job was, absolutely isn’t punching above your weight.

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

The dug shite squad he inherited, the squad that he made ten signings in the summer and another 3 by end of jan, 

Fuck sake you make it sound like he never spent a penny, that summer he spent around 8 million quid on his defence alone, 

Oh and we'll not mention the huge wages spent on guys like defoe, davis on loan? 

He spent millions. I'm not saying he didn't, though I get why you're deliberately misinterpreting what I'm  saying. But he spent less millions on a base of a shittier squad than theirs I'm sure.

Were our squad salaries more than theirs? I'll happily take those factual figures from you mate 👍

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He absolutely isn’t.

Beating a rotten manager, with a bang average squad, and don’t forgot how celebrated the decision to give Lennon the job was, absolutely isn’t punching above your weight.

The aussie has spent fuckung millions more than Gio.

Don't talk ahite man 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Winning any league title against a team that is hugely dominant, cost millions more, and had millions more added to it comparatively is absolutely punching above your weight.

Our cup performances were abysmal. But that's not even comparable to winning a 38 game competition against the odds on favourite that the scum were.

So gerrard was punching above his weight winning the league with the squad he had

Gio has the majority of the same squad, lost 2 of the better players from that squad, but he's fucking rotten for not winning the league against a team that spent 25mill in the first season and another 20mill this season

Btw the tarriers have spent roughly the same amount of money with the fat aussie than they did in gerrards first 3 seasons

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He spent millions. I'm not saying he didn't, though I get why you're deliberately misinterpreting what I'm  saying. But he spent less millions on a base of a shittier squad than theirs I'm sure.

Were our squad salaries more than theirs? I'll happily take those factual figures from you mate 👍

Ah so its salaries now, well definitely not spending more than them and you knew that

Did walter punch above his weight in his final season btw? 

Oh and if we are going to use salaries as an indication of success, then gerrard was an absolute fucking disaster given he was papped oot the cups by the sheep twice, hearts, st mirren and st johnstone, whos salaries are about 10% of ours

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So gerrard was punching above his weight winning the league with the squad he had

Gio has the majority of the same squad, lost 2 of the better players from that squad, but he's fucking rotten for not winning the league against a team that spent 25mill in the first season and another 20mill this season

Btw the tarriers have spent roughly the same amount of money with the fat aussie than they did in gerrards first 3 seasons

Yes

He's not rotten for it, but he needs to find a solution to dealing with it to win the league. Like Gerrard did. Ie, punch above his weight 1🤣

I know. Do we expect him to compete or not? Maybe we could say like with Ajax that the tarriers spend more than us so we can't compete with them... 

13 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

See when we talk about gios away record, why do you never take into account that two of they draws would be wins if we werent cheated by the officials, no other eay about it, united away and hibs away was just fucking cheating

And thats not even giving him the benefit of individual errors costing him at county as well, 

3 away draws that, if his luck was better, would be wins

But if we wanna discount the county game as it was his team selection, the united game and hibs game, 2 draws turned to wins make it 11 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses, 

Gerrards first season we failed to win in 10 out of 19 away games his second season it was 5 from 15 and given how we were playing when covid hit it might we have been 9 from 19 by time season finished

This squad of players has never had a good away record when the pressure is on, 

Because it’s hypothetical, you think if we won one of those games everything that came to pass after that would have remained the same?

Gerrards first season he inherited a squad from Pedro’s tenure, Gio inherited a title winning squad, so no point in comparing those.

I agree this squad is a problem so why didn’t we try to move more on or not renew deals over the summer to free up wages. Why have we signed players who aren’t ready to go straight into the team other than colak and Lawrence if he hadn’t got injured. Wilson to blame for it all or did Gio have input?

if we were playing well right now I could forget records, but the game yesterday was awful. It’s the same slow build up, predictable and utterly shite against SPL sides who crowd the box. I just don’t think Gio has it in him to win over the squad and even if he did his brand of football is awful, his substitutions baffling and I just don’t get the feeling there is any passion in his management style.

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Ah so its salaries now, well definitely not spending more than them and you knew that

Did walter punch above his weight in his final season btw? 

Oh and if we are going to use salaries as an indication of success, then gerrard was an absolute fucking disaster given he was papped oot the cups by the sheep twice, hearts, st mirren and st johnstone, whos salaries are about 10% of ours

You were the one mentioning salaries ffs. You raised it with Defoe and Davis

Fucking hell Jim 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cups were abysmal. I'm not going to spoon feed that to you again. But if you'd rather have won cups than 55 and fucked their 10iar then good on you 🤣🤣🤣