Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think an amount of distance between what the fans want and what the board want is sometimes a good thing. 

Of course. It has to be. They can't just jump at every gripe every fan has. However there is a line. The constant failure from this board is negligible at best and has cost us. In this case it is evident Gio is done. I believe the board aren't close to being at that level. Their priorities are get European money and sell STs. The league isn't a necessity.

50 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Had to write it out. But it’s borderline criminal the state of the squad he’s leaving behind. Bunch of injury prone OAPs

Allan McGregor - 40
Jon McLaughlin - 35
Connor Goldson - 29 - INJURED
Filip Helander - 29 - INJURED
Ben Davies - 27 
John Souttar – 26 - INJURED
Borna Barisic - 29 - INJURED
James Tavernier - 31
John Lundstram - 28
Glen Kamara - 27 
Ryan Jack - 30 -INJURED
Scott Arfield - 34 
Steven Davis - 37
Nnamdi Ofoborh 23 – INJURED
Fashion Sakala-25- INJURED
Ianis Hagi -24- INJURED
Ryan Kent - 25 - out of contract
Tom Lawrence - 28 - INJURED
Kemar Roofe - 29 - INJURED
Alex Lowry -19- INJURED
Antonio Colak - 29
Ridvan Yilmaz - 21- INJURED
A. Morelos -26 - out of contract
J. Sands -22- return to parent club
M. Tillman -20 - return to parent club

Missed out King, McCann and Devive. 

I have defended Gio, and still have a lot of love and respect for the man, and thank him for the Euro run, and beating them at Hampden. 

BUT his time is up. He has to go before it gets nasty. With a new quality manager, and players coming back, 7 points is doable. They did from 6 behind last season. At worst, we can run them close, win both cups and set ourselves up to stop them next season. 

I would bite your hand off for Ralph. bad run this season, but has done a superb job at the Saints overall imo. 

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Of course. It has to be. They can't just jump at every gripe every fan has. However there is a line. The constant failure from this board is negligible at best and has cost us. In this case it is evident Gio is done. I believe the board aren't close to being at that level. Their priorities are get European money and sell STs. The league isn't a necessity.

I think he's done as well and that on the balance of it he should go now. But I'm thinking as a fan and what I have to pay to watch (and have already paid for) for the next few months.

Board likely have to consider a whole bunch of long term issues like continuity, getting a squad together in January and next Summer and how a new manager now affects that and budgets and what sacking him looks like to the rest of the world. 

Now I'm not confident that they will get that right, especially with Wilson in charge of things, and I think the pressure should be 100% directed at them. I actually think they get in step with fan opinions at the wrong time - like the Australia debacle.

8 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

I have defended Gio, and still have a lot of love and respect for the man, and thank him for the Euro run, and beating them at Hampden. 

BUT his time is up. He has to go before it gets nasty. With a new quality manager, and players coming back, 7 points is doable. They did from 6 behind last season. At worst, we can run them close, win both cups and set ourselves up to stop them next season. 

I would bite your hand off for Ralph. bad run this season, but has done a superb job at the Saints overall imo. 

I like him too but think he'd get chewed up and spat out here.

His record with Aalen, Ingolstadt and Leipzig is really impressive. He done ok at Southampton but the two 9-0s are massive marks against him.

1 hour ago, OrangeRab said:

Had to write it out. But it’s borderline criminal the state of the squad he’s leaving behind. Bunch of injury prone OAPs

Allan McGregor - 40
Jon McLaughlin - 35
Connor Goldson - 29 - INJURED
Filip Helander - 29 - INJURED
Ben Davies - 27 
John Souttar – 26 - INJURED
Borna Barisic - 29 - INJURED
James Tavernier - 31
John Lundstram - 28
Glen Kamara - 27 
Ryan Jack - 30 -INJURED
Scott Arfield - 34 
Steven Davis - 37
Nnamdi Ofoborh 23 – INJURED
Fashion Sakala-25- INJURED
Ianis Hagi -24- INJURED
Ryan Kent - 25 - out of contract
Tom Lawrence - 28 - INJURED
Kemar Roofe - 29 - INJURED
Alex Lowry -19- INJURED
Antonio Colak - 29
Ridvan Yilmaz - 21- INJURED
A. Morelos -26 - out of contract
J. Sands -22- return to parent club
M. Tillman -20 - return to parent club

Not defending Gio in any way, but did he ever really have a chance with that injury list this season. 

2 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

was it a 6 point lead he had at the top of the league. 

Under Gio we're playing the poorest football in years. 

i think we are all in agreement that his football is abysmal and he needs to go? thats the bottom line. 

I think it was 5 when Gio took over whe he extended to 6. The main reason it was 5 though was because the scum dropped a ton of points at the start of last season. We weren't playing well. 

2 hours ago, Kylegib said:

How far behind celtic were we prior to his arrival?

Don't care. We were playing shite. Just because the scum were worse at the start of last season doesn't mean we weren't playing shite. Let's not rewrite history as some seem to be doing. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Not defending Gio in any way, but did he ever really have a chance with that injury list this season. 

Hard for any manager with that list but how much has Gio and his team contributed to it with poor conditioning / fitness off the squad.

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

I'm no huge SG fan and hate the comparisons when it comes to discussing GVB (because he's making an arse of it all on his own) but that's the 1 thing I always liked about SG domestically.  He always talked about needing to match the intensity and physicality and win that battle first.  That's gone now.  Completely gone. 

Also we never got a real doing off anyone when SG was the gaffer. Think 2 goal margin was the worst.

We have taken a fair few hidings under Gio. I accept the levels maybe up a bit with champs league, but the number and severity are way more than enough to get rid imo.

4 minutes ago, teddybear1975 said:

Hard for any manager with that list but how much has Gio and his team contributed to it with poor conditioning / fitness off the squad.

Our preseason has clearly been pish, no energy, no drive and no pressing we have gone from being one of the fittest teams in Europe to being unfit pish blowing out our arses every game

26 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think he's done as well and that on the balance of it he should go now. But I'm thinking as a fan and what I have to pay to watch (and have already paid for) for the next few months.

Board likely have to consider a whole bunch of long term issues like continuity, getting a squad together in January and next Summer and how a new manager now affects that and budgets and what sacking him looks like to the rest of the world. 

Now I'm not confident that they will get that right, especially with Wilson in charge of things, and I think the pressure should be 100% directed at them. I actually think they get in step with fan opinions at the wrong time - like the Australia debacle.

So effectively I agree that they have to consider things like continuity and getting a squad together however it's evident they don't and haven't thought like that. They have green lit one of our worst transfer strategies in recent memory whilst saying we need to trim the wage bill whilst signing on the likes of McGregor, Davis, Arfield etc. Everyone could see we required an overhaul and they have went the opposite direction. What short and long term value is there I'm signing on old players? The time for change is now whilst we're still within arm's reach and gives a new manager time to come in with the squad during the w.c. 

Regarding caring about our reputation and how the world views us sacking Gio I just don't believe they care that much, especially if they are sending a message out that it's ok for us to be battered 7-1 at home and be thee single worst team in champions League history. It's acceptable to fail so miserably and consistently against our biggest rivals.

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

I'm no huge SG fan and hate the comparisons when it comes to discussing GVB (because he's making an arse of it all on his own) but that's the 1 thing I always liked about SG domestically.  He always talked about needing to match the intensity and physicality and win that battle first.  That's gone now.  Completely gone. 

Also we never got a real doing off anyone when SG was the gaffer. Think 2 goal margin was the worst.

We have taken a fair few hidings under Gio. I accept the levels maybe up a bit with champs league, but the number and severity are way more than enough to get rid imo.

20 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

I think it was 5 when Gio took over whe he extended to 6. The main reason it was 5 though was because the scum dropped a ton of points at the start of last season. We weren't playing well. 

so the reason they won the league is because we were shit when Gio took over and we dropped a ton load of points. 

30 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Missed out King, McCann and Devive. 

Yeh not a full list. Just showing 95% of the problem. Either ageing, injury prone, disinterested, out of contract, loans. A lot of which is Wilson’s fault.

King, McCann, Devine, Lowry when fit are obviously the potential plus points. 

He’s been unlucky with injuries. But he hasn’t helped himself and he must have some involvement in the transfer process. And if he doesn’t then that’s worrying.

I think 8 of celtic’s starting outfield are under the age of 25.

If he had moved on Davis, Arfield, McGregor, Kent, Morelos and brought in 5 or 6 younger guys. But the results weren’t coming. I think most would be willing to give him more time. 

As it stands, the next manager is inheriting an absolute shambles. And needs at least 2 windows to fix it.

1 minute ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Of course he wants it, pretty much said so.in his first interview with QPR

B49F5658-C4EB-405B-8272-30761592336F.jpeg

A few more good seasons from him and maybe I would consider him,Too many people pulling heart strings we need a proven Manager this time with a track record,