Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

3 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Sad to say but I hope a significant amount of anger is directed at that directors box on Wednesday and those Robertson and Wilson banners are back in the Govan. They’re an utter disgrace and the incompetence on show would be embarrassing for amateur teams. 

I wouldnt be surprised if the directors box was vacant on Wednesday night. They have and will continue to show nothing but utter contempt towards the fan base.

1 hour ago, Rowley Birkin said:

i thought it was if you can show that you can pay any loans and can sustain the club the you can spend within those limits

That may be the case, but once you're on their watch list you're one step away from fines + restrictions so breaking even in the financial year is almost a must. Read more here if you like - https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/0279-1603e68faca4-8a20edf89532-1000--the-cfcb-first-chamber-finalises-the-monitoring-of-clubs-having/

16 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The last set of published accounts showed us at a running cost of 74mill, that was with less expenses in the covid season (less wages for ground staff, security hosting matches etc) since then we have likely increased our wage bill given since then we have signed what, 10 players (9 now as Simpson left) but only got rid og deadwood and 3 sales (patterson wont have been on much either) 

We'll also hsve bonuses linked with euro run costing us more last season and the expenses linked to getting further in europe (iirc when walter got us to manchester, we barely made money that season due to bonuses and expenses, and that was a CL participation season as well) 

The accounts will surely be good, but not good in a way that it was a special set of circumstances that happened, manager compo, Patterson sale and euro final run

Not saying our finances are going to be brilliant but if they try and pull the “we are skint” card some serious questions need to be asked of those running the club.

Operational costs may have risen vs COVID but that should be more than offset by increased matchday income.

We have effectively pulled in 2 years CL money (we were told making EL final was equivalent to CL participation finances not including for matchday income).

We have taken in approx £40M in transfer fees (with “achievable” add ons) with sales of around £10M.

Purely number wise we were pretty much equal in vs out in transfers in the summer. Yes some of those leaving were lower salaries vs those coming in, however there should have been no way we have given new contracts to McGregor, Davis & Arfield on anything like the terms they were on so that should offset some. There probably was in increase in the wage budget but it should not be at a level that is crippling us.

I understand we are under scrutiny over FFP (particularly as we are not able to write-off COVID losses to the same extent others in larger leagues are able to) but given the financial “achievements” over the last 12 to 18 months we should be in a relatively stable state - if not serious questions need to be asked of the competence of those running the club.

1 hour ago, Kylegib said:

Suppose so, so that'll mean our accounts will look very healthy indeed because they tightened the purse strings after bringing millions in but I highly doubt it.

Pretty sure stuff will be moved around to show we have very little money available.Just to suit the narrative.Busnessmen like our board are masters at it.

The truth is we got exceptionally fortunate with Gerard / Beale and the background staff. They had a footballing philosophy and drawing power to enable us to bridge a massive gap in 3 years. Sellick got complacent but unfortunately they now have a half decent manager in place who pulls all the strings, has an attacking blueprint and who has spent £45 million on the squad. Our manager- no matter who it is- will get nowhere near those figures. And squandering even more millions on pay-offs isnt going to help...

I do think there is a good team in there somewhere so hopefully the break will enable a few more players to get fit and provide Gio with the opportunity to regularly field his best team. I'm no doubt in the minority but I think he deserves that chance.

Just now, MVRanger said:

The truth is we got exceptionally fortunate with Gerard / Beale and the background staff. They had a footballing philosophy and drawing power to enable us to bridge a massive gap in 3 years. Sellick got complacent but unfortunately they now have a half decent manager in place who pulls all the strings, has an attacking blueprint and who has spent £45 million on the squad. Our manager- no matter who it is- will get nowhere near those figures. And squandering even more millions on pay-offs isnt going to help...

I do think there is a good team in there somewhere so hopefully the break will enable a few more players to get fit and provide Gio with the opportunity to regularly field his best team. I'm no doubt in the minority but I think he deserves that chance.

Between this and your hard on for Boris your judgement is wild.

4 hours ago, Kylegib said:

No-one is rewriting history we had a substantial lead in front of celtic when he arrived whether we were playing well or not yet we now find ourselves miles behind them. This isn't all on Gio this is mainly on the board who have allowed us to get in to this mess again. As a club we are leaderless from top to bottom. 

😂😂😂 Thats what someone was debating. 

4 hours ago, Dickie said:

Gio took over a settled and successful side and found himself only having to compete with some fat Aussie doing a complete rebuild whose own fans were against him and his board.

You say we were playing shite well when was the last domestic game you really enjoyed under clueless gio.

We had the scum sussed before Gios arrival and now we are back to the days when we just got promoted and got horsed by those cunts on a regular basis.

I won’t forgive gerrard for fucking off the way he did but by fuck he gave us pride and a bit of fight and he wasn’t just an apologist for this fucking board.

Rewrite history! I wish I could erase our most recent history as the worst team in CL history.

You've completely missed the point. We're shite now as well as just before Gio came in. 

16 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Not saying our finances are going to be brilliant but if they try and pull the “we are skint” card some serious questions need to be asked of those running the club.

Operational costs may have risen vs COVID but that should be more than offset by increased matchday income.

We have effectively pulled in 2 years CL money (we were told making EL final was equivalent to CL participation finances not including for matchday income).

We have taken in approx £40M in transfer fees (with “achievable” add ons) with sales of around £10M.

Purely number wise we were pretty much equal in vs out in transfers in the summer. Yes some of those leaving were lower salaries vs those coming in, however there should have been no way we have given new contracts to McGregor, Davis & Arfield on anything like the terms they were on so that should offset some. There probably was in increase in the wage budget but it should not be at a level that is crippling us.

I understand we are under scrutiny over FFP (particularly as we are not able to write-off COVID losses to the same extent others in larger leagues are able to) but given the financial “achievements” over the last 12 to 18 months we should be in a relatively stable state - if not serious questions need to be asked of the competence of those running the club.

You need to remember that 2 years of CL money and our transfer sales are split between two different years of accounts, 

If our running costs stayed the same (they wont have for obvious reasons) we'd still need 74mill to break even

ST's are 25mill at best, so between walkup matchday revenue, euro money, player sales, merch and sponsorship we need to find 49mill to break even, thats without spending a penny in transfer fees

4 hours ago, Dickie said:

Gio took over a settled and successful side and found himself only having to compete with some fat Aussie doing a complete rebuild whose own fans were against him and his board.

You say we were playing shite well when was the last domestic game you really enjoyed under clueless gio.

We had the scum sussed before Gios arrival and now we are back to the days when we just got promoted and got horsed by those cunts on a regular basis.

I won’t forgive gerrard for fucking off the way he did but by fuck he gave us pride and a bit of fight and he wasn’t just an apologist for this fucking board.

Rewrite history! I wish I could erase our most recent history as the worst team in CL history.

No we had the scum sussed before they got a new manager, then we beat them with a settled albeit missing 2 first teamers due to covid, while they were still settling their new team

Since then its been a completely different tarrier team to the one we had "sussed" 

4 hours ago, Kylegib said:

Whether it was 4 points or 7 points it should still have been enough of a lead to finish above them bearing in mind they hadn't beaten us in 2 and half years and we only had slightly over half a season to play.

The length of time for them last beating us gets bigger everyday on here lol

When gio arrived it wasnt even two years since the last defeat to them and in the league it was 2 years and 2months at best since they beat us, and partly that is down to covid shutting the league down as the tarriers would have scudded us both games left that season

11 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

In a year Gio has been in charge we have dropped 19 points compared to the taigs. 12 last season and 7 already this one.

How anyone on that Board can't see he isn't capable of turning it around just shows they are basically a fucking clueless amateur kid on Board. 

They clearly don't care. Happy with second best

Gios an absolute disaster 

20 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You need to remember that 2 years of CL money and our transfer sales are split between two different years of accounts, 

If our running costs stayed the same (they wont have for obvious reasons) we'd still need 74mill to break even

ST's are 25mill at best, so between walkup matchday revenue, euro money, player sales, merch and sponsorship we need to find 49mill to break even, thats without spending a penny in transfer fees

Get that we are not going to see CL revenue in this years accounts (although that also means we shouldn’t really see the full impact of new contracts either)

I can’t be bothered (apologies) going back over the old accounts to get a grasp on the matchday hit we took on COVID lockouts but for arguments sake lets say it was equal (lower income vs lower expenditure roughly levelling out) so we are looking at a “hole” in the region of £50M in the accounts.

We brought in in the region of £30M Net profit in transfer fees since the last accounts (Patterson, Aribo, Bassey and Gerrard out vs Yilmaz, Davies, Matondo and Ramsey (loan fee) in) and the board were keen to tell us that reaching the EL final was the equivalent of reaching the CL group stages. Obviously difficult to ascertain exactly what that means but lets take the lower end of the guaranteed amount £13.5M.

Add in the numerous sponsorship and merchandising deals we have running / set up over the last accounting period, merchandise sales off the back of 150 year and EL run, the various other corporate initiatives (Harry Styles gig for example) and prize monies (2nd in the league was £2.4M and probably peanuts for the Scottish Cup 😂)  and we should be at the very least close to breaking even.

By no means do I think we will be banking record profits (the wage bill and general running costs are far too bloated for that) but neither would I expect us to be posting losses anywhere near the last few years.