Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

7 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Get that we are not going to see CL revenue in this years accounts (although that also means we shouldn’t really see the full impact of new contracts either)

I can’t be bothered (apologies) going back over the old accounts to get a grasp on the matchday hit we took on COVID lockouts but for arguments sake lets say it was equal (lower income vs lower expenditure roughly levelling out) so we are looking at a “hole” in the region of £50M in the accounts.

We brought in in the region of £30M Net profit in transfer fees since the last accounts (Patterson, Aribo, Bassey and Gerrard out vs Yilmaz, Davies, Matondo and Ramsey (loan fee) in) and the board were keen to tell us that reaching the EL final was the equivalent of reaching the CL group stages. Obviously difficult to ascertain exactly what that means but lets take the lower end of the guaranteed amount £13.5M.

Add in the numerous sponsorship and merchandising deals we have running / set up over the last accounting period, merchandise sales off the back of 150 year and EL run, the various other corporate initiatives (Harry Styles gig for example) and prize monies (2nd in the league was £2.4M and probably peanuts for the Scottish Cup 😂)  and we should be at the very least close to breaking even.

By no means do I think we will be banking record profits (the wage bill and general running costs are far too bloated for that) but neither would I expect us to be posting losses anywhere near the last few years.

Aribo, bassey, and all the summer purchases wont be in these accounts, only the jan window and last summers free signings will be included 

1 hour ago, rossco87 said:

Not saying our finances are going to be brilliant but if they try and pull the “we are skint” card some serious questions need to be asked of those running the club.

Operational costs may have risen vs COVID but that should be more than offset by increased matchday income.

We have effectively pulled in 2 years CL money (we were told making EL final was equivalent to CL participation finances not including for matchday income).

We have taken in approx £40M in transfer fees (with “achievable” add ons) with sales of around £10M.

Purely number wise we were pretty much equal in vs out in transfers in the summer. Yes some of those leaving were lower salaries vs those coming in, however there should have been no way we have given new contracts to McGregor, Davis & Arfield on anything like the terms they were on so that should offset some. There probably was in increase in the wage budget but it should not be at a level that is crippling us.

I understand we are under scrutiny over FFP (particularly as we are not able to write-off COVID losses to the same extent others in larger leagues are able to) but given the financial “achievements” over the last 12 to 18 months we should be in a relatively stable state - if not serious questions need to be asked of the competence of those running the club.

Signing players who are as robust as a wet Rich Tea biscuit doesn’t help.

How much have we paid in wages to Helander, Roofe, Hagi etc in this period?

£9m in wages for unavailable players - absolutely ridiculous.

It seems like Gio is on borrowed time now with fans, I can see us beating Hearts then losing against St Mirren which will he the final nail. The bigger problem for me is Ross Wilson, our recruitment compared to celtic's in the last 18 months has been abysmal. Letting the contracts of Kent and Morelos run down, so they'll go for nothing or peanuts is criminal. 

9 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Get that we are not going to see CL revenue in this years accounts (although that also means we shouldn’t really see the full impact of new contracts either)

I can’t be bothered (apologies) going back over the old accounts to get a grasp on the matchday hit we took on COVID lockouts but for arguments sake lets say it was equal (lower income vs lower expenditure roughly levelling out) so we are looking at a “hole” in the region of £50M in the accounts.

We brought in in the region of £30M Net profit in transfer fees since the last accounts (Patterson, Aribo, Bassey and Gerrard out vs Yilmaz, Davies, Matondo and Ramsey (loan fee) in) and the board were keen to tell us that reaching the EL final was the equivalent of reaching the CL group stages. Obviously difficult to ascertain exactly what that means but lets take the lower end of the guaranteed amount £13.5M.

Add in the numerous sponsorship and merchandising deals we have running / set up over the last accounting period, merchandise sales off the back of 150 year and EL run, the various other corporate initiatives (Harry Styles gig for example) and prize monies (2nd in the league was £2.4M and probably peanuts for the Scottish Cup 😂)  and we should be at the very least close to breaking even.

By no means do I think we will be banking record profits (the wage bill and general running costs are far too bloated for that) but neither would I expect us to be posting losses anywhere near the last few years.

I genuinely don't know these things, but, if we're not seeing CL money in these accounts, will we see transfer fees for Bassey & Aribo, given that they were received in August?

Gio will be gone. The problem is, when that happens it will be too late to salvage the season.

He should have been dismissed five minutes after the final whistle against Liverpool.

Would we be 5 points better in the league had that happened? Very possibly. The board are equally to blame for this mess.

“But SunSport understands there is an appreciation within the club’s hierarchy that results and performances have suffered because of injuries to a number of key players including big signings John Souttar, Tom Lawrence and Ridvan Yilmaz.”

So one guy who is barely ever fit, and another who is such a key player for Gio that he left him out for months.

Fucking morons.

6 minutes ago, bluebell82 said:

It seems like Gio is on borrowed time now with fans, I can see us beating Hearts then losing against St Mirren which will he the final nail. The bigger problem for me is Ross Wilson, our recruitment compared to celtic's in the last 18 months has been abysmal. Letting the contracts of Kent and Morelos run down, so they'll go for nothing or peanuts is criminal. 

Must be some size of fucking coffin with so many final nails in it.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Gio will be gone. The problem is, when that happens it will be too late to salvage the season.

He should have been dismissed five minutes after the final whistle against Liverpool.

Would we be 5 points better in the league had that happened? Very possibly. The board are equally to blame for this mess.

He should have went after that disaster at the paedodome.

1 minute ago, The FF Snitch said:

“But SunSport understands there is an appreciation within the club’s hierarchy that results and performances have suffered because of injuries to a number of key players including big signings John Souttar, Tom Lawrence and Ridvan Yilmaz.”

So one guy who is barely ever fit, and another who is such a key player for Gio that he left him out for months.

Fucking morons.

It depresses me that Souttar, Lawrence and Yilmaz are now considered "big signings" 

3 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

I genuinely don't know these things, but, if we're not seeing CL money in these accounts, will we see transfer fees for Bassey & Aribo, given that they were received in August?

As @Jimbeamjunior pointed out earlier I got that one wrong so no we will not see those in the accounts.

I had in my head our accounting year was July but it is June. Effectively any money we have received / spent since the end of June will not show up in the accounts until 2022/23.

The transfers that show up will be last summers business. They were mostly frees and Bacuna in and then Bacuna (think at the time we reported we had pretty much recouped our initial fee for him) and Patterson out as well as comp for Gerrard. Should still be about £15M profit.

13 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The entire club has had a “job done” stink on it ever since we won 55. It’s embarrassing and pathetic.

This. 

Stopped the taig 10 and now acting like they've got 8 years to chill before they need to worry about it again.

20 minutes ago, The FF Snitch said:

Fucking morons.

Pathetic

32 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The length of time for them last beating us gets bigger everyday on here lol

When gio arrived it wasnt even two years since the last defeat to them and in the league it was 2 years and 2months at best since they beat us, and partly that is down to covid shutting the league down as the tarriers would have scudded us both games left that season

He's not a very good historian in general. Two thirds of the season remaining is just over half the season!

Walter lost the league in 2008 after going 7 points ahead at the start of April with a game in hand. We won the league the year after going into January 7 points behind celtic.

Obviously the best of them all was winning the league from 5 points behind with 4 games left in 2005. 

Will defend Gerrard to the death but  ignores how we ended up 9 points behind celtic in 2019 despite being level with them going into the winter break. The year after ignores being 2 points behind them going into the winter break and 10 games later being 13 points behind them.

4 points is fuck all in November.

27 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The entire club has had a “job done” stink on it ever since we won 55. It’s embarrassing and pathetic.

It’s absolute tinpot stuff. 

The difference between how much the fans care and those in charge is frightening. 

28 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Yilmaz was tbf. After Kent it’s the biggest outlay we’ve made on a single transfer in what 11 or 12 years?

Aw mate we paid the standard going rate for the boy, around 4/5 mil with add ons if I remember right. I'm just of the age when I remember what we used to get for that money back in the day.

.Jelavic £4.9 million

. Ronald De Boer £4.5 million

. Arthur Numan £4.5 million

. Bert Konterman £4.5 million

. Barry Fergusson £4.5 million

. Jorg Albertz £4.2 million

54 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

He's not a very good historian in general. Two thirds of the season remaining is just over half the season!

Walter lost the league in 2008 after going 7 points ahead at the start of April with a game in hand. We won the league the year after going into January 7 points behind celtic.

Obviously the best of them all was winning the league from 5 points behind with 4 games left in 2005. 

Will defend Gerrard to the death but  ignores how we ended up 9 points behind celtic in 2019 despite being level with them going into the winter break. The year after ignores being 2 points behind them going into the winter break and 10 games later being 13 points behind them.

4 points is fuck all in November.

Dont get me wrong, i dont believe we can turn this around, mostly due to the absolute shitebags that wear the strip, gio cant get them battling like fuck gerrard couldnt when the pressure was on, so i dont see how a dyche or anyone else can suddenly instill a fighting, battling mentality unless serial losers like tav, barisic, etc are all not just dropped but fucking removed from the club, bring in winners and fighters instead

Before anyone posts anything more regarding the accounts and where money has gone, please look at our last accounts, do a bit of sensible research on transfer fees in and out, consider bonuses, signing-on fees, additional running costs, Edmiston House cost, a huge wage bill, paying off Ashley, etc. 

The last 3 transfer windows have involved us bringing in 16 players at an estimated outlay of circa £16 million including signing-on fees but excluding add-ons.   We have brought in approx £37 million excluding add-ons.   Of the 16 new signings I personally only rate 3 of them (and 1 of them is injured).  A couple are still on the "may improve" bracket and the rest are awful.    Both Wilson and Gio are responsible for the signings.  They are both culpable.