Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

5 minutes ago, johanvanhentze said:

A lot of teams will be looking at him. Wouldnt surprise me if he had a move lined up already.

I'm sure Aberdeen approached him and he knocked them back. A team like us would be a very natural progression and also appealing to him I think. However, I'm still in the Gio camp for now.....Just.

23 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Massive difference between being the brains tactically and the guy who goes in to the dressing room and commands the room through strength of personality. 

Yeah, but our current incumbent seems incapable of doing it either, and he was a top level player.

24 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

The thing that worries me about GVB, is that when the likes of Gerrard and Smith (second time) first came in, while we weren’t at our best and they didn’t have the squads they really wanted, you could still see what they were trying to do with the teams they had.

I can’t see that at all with Gio. His team selections and tactics are worrying, bordering on Pedro Caixinha levels of logic.

You don’t want to make the comparison but even with Fat Ange you could see what he was trying to do from the first league game they played even though it wasn’t really working at first. 

I watch us and I see the sort of basic get it up to the centre forward and feed off the scraps tactics that you expect from coaches like David Martindale.

2 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Yeah, but our current incumbent seems incapable of doing it either, and he was a top level player.

No he doesn’t, but that doesn’t mean Beale is either. 

If we bring him back we bring him back with no Gerrard, no McAllistair, no Culshaw, no Milsom and with the entire core of the squad they had on the way out too. If we decide Gio isn’t the man, that is far too big of a risk on the back of it.

If Beale goes out in his own he’ll end up at a championship club first - been linked with Charlton and Cardiff this season IIRC - and we need to leave him to cut his teeth there first and see how he gets on before we even think about him as a potential manager for us.

9 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Aberdeen asked the question about Knutsen and he said he had no interest in managing in Scotland. He will already know that his stock is high enough for his next move to be to Italy or the Bundesliga. 

I remember his camp said something like that. I'm sure he would consider us still but I imagine he'd be aiming for somewhere like Bundesliga. Our selling point also includes a back door to the premier League if he succeeds

13 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Literally just came in to post this. I can understand not winning, or not playing well, or not the right player in your system - what I can’t understand is when there’s absolutely no style / direction this far in. 

Take our league Maloney, Postecoglu etc - you can see what way they want them to play 15 minutes into their tenure. Might not agree with it, or be a good way to do it, but you know that they’re aiming for. 

Pedro vibes. Clueless. Formation, style, personnel all over the shop. 

Here’s what a Feyenoord fan said when we appointed him:

“When we talk about van Bronckhorst we always say ‘The Horseshoe’ because what he always did, that irritated fans so badly, was the left-back played it to the centre back, the centre back played it to the other centre back and the centre back played it to the right back and then the other way around so it was quite predictable.“

Sound familiar?

He’s been here for nearly six months now and that’s the only tactical plan I’ve seen us consistently do.

21 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Pedro vibes. Clueless. Formation, style, personnel all over the shop. 

Exactly it. The most in form 11 (not saying much) thrown out in roughly their natural position and hope for the best.

Most of the support are determined to cling onto their “that mob are shite”comfort blanket but i genuinely don’t think Gio will beat Postecoglou even once. This squad or his own, even if investment exceeds expectation in the summer. 

18 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I remember his camp said something like that. I'm sure he would consider us still but I imagine he'd be aiming for somewhere like Bundesliga. Our selling point also includes a back door to the premier League if he succeeds

Think he’d be a perfect fit for Ajax if ten Hag is away to Man Utd.

This sc semi is going to ask serious questions...I know we hampered by sum injuries but let's not kid ourselves it's an understatement of a tough month ahead. 2 old firm wins looks a huge task.... braga is doable. It's just hard feeling positive atm.

We are playing so poorly right now.
I don't know where we are going like this but we have no chance of anything if it keeps going that way. Don't know what is happening in the dressing room either, what's wrong, it's like some of them don't want to put the shirt anymore. 

It's the Famous Glasgow Rangers, if it's not enough, walk away.

He likes a zero. Well, zero shots on target is unacceptable. I would love to know what his game plan is to the players.

if he played for a 0-0 draw, the least he could do is change to plan B when we were getting beat.