Alex Lowry - [Potential transfer - out]

RangersMedia

7 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

He's no the first young player to get loaned out to get game time. Harry Kane was constantly out on loan before breaking into the Spurs team. Abraham, Tomori and Mount all spent time on loan from Chelsea and are now playing at a high level.

Exactly. And in 5-10 years time if it works out for him then you can absolutely say he's been a massive success. Right now I wouldn't say he's been a massive success because his contribution to the CL was a seat on the bench for the final. 

Mason Mount scored in the semi against Real and then played a part in them winning the thing in the final, massive success. 

Maybe Billy will get there one day. 

13 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

He's playing regular Premiership football. Does that mean if Everton get relegated, Richarlison is shite? Doesn't work that way.

He was loaned out to another premier league club because they obviously see his potential. 

Nobody said he was shite. 

He was loaned out to a relegation fodder because, most likely, mid table teams wouldn't guarantee him game time every week whereas Norwich would. 

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Gilmour at least played some part in the CL run that year, and wether we like to admit it or not, 20 years old and having a champions league winners medal, playing in said tournament, absolutely trumps any domestic honour in scotland

Barry Ferguson says otherwise 😂

I think people are confusing very different situations with Gilmour and Lowry.

Gilmour was considered one if the best in the world at his age and he moved to a Chelsea team that was pretty much focused on using youth players.   It was a success considering he managed to play in their first team and win a champions league.   However he's now at a crossroads in his career.  Norwich has been a disaster for him.  He's been talked about as one of their worst ever signings and is genuinely hated by their fans.  There is no chance Gilmour will play for Chelsea next season, so it depends where he goes on loan.  If he ends up in the Championship and struggles there too then I'd imagine he'd be struggling to convince any team in a top league that he's worth the risk.

With Lowry, the talk is about Newcastle.  They have a horrific record on developing young players recently and they only just became a rich club.  Lowry would end up on loan in League 1 or 2 and back up north in 3 or 4 years trying to rebuild his career somewhere like Hearts.  Lowry has potential but he's not going to fulfil that by joining a team like Newcastle.  Even Man City would be a terrible move considering the competition for places in their youth sides nevermind their first team.

52 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I’m actually starting to get annoyed with Wilson’s lackadaisical attitude when it comes to our players and contract situations in all honesty. 

Lowry should’ve been offered a new contract after the Annan game, on the basis he is now part of the squad of 18 instead of the B-team. 

Punting him back into the B-team still with no contract is really frustrating in all honesty. 

It's ridiculous how many he's let run into final year. 

Morelos, Kent and Aribo all final year in the summer 

4 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

It's ridiculous how many he's let run into final year. 

Morelos, Kent and Aribo all final year in the summer 

So if players don't want to sign new contracts and teams don't come in for them what's he supposed to do? 

I think his recruitment has been questionable but the contract situations I blame Gerrard for. He constantly said players weren't for sale or bring sacks full of cash and that's why we find ourselves in the position we are in. 

15 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

Gilmour's move has been a massive success and Patterson has been gone 3 months and injured for half of it

Patterson has been injured for 3 weeks! Lampard hasn't given him a chance even though all the Everton fans are complaining about how bad the wee soap dodgers fuck in front of him. 

The fact diallo was brought in and ultimately pushed his chances of any game time out the door, he's quite right to look elsewhere. After the few games he played in he should've been given until the end of the season to show what he could do not bring in some waster from man utd. 

26 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

So if players don't want to sign new contracts and teams don't come in for them what's he supposed to do? 

I think his recruitment has been questionable but the contract situations I blame Gerrard for. He constantly said players weren't for sale or bring sacks full of cash and that's why we find ourselves in the position we are in. 

Managers job is to safeguard his squad to compete, tech director is for dealing with agents and safeguarding the clubs position.  Have a listen to Gerrards interview with Neville on YouTube. There was definitely more than a hint of him and the current board not being on the same page in terms of building the squad to go again.  

Players will talk about better leagues, better opportunities to play and great academies etc but the absolute bottom line is CASH turns heads. We must identify the gems sooner and give them a longer deal to avoid losing them. We were powerless to stop Gilmour leaving because of his age but Lowrie showed great promise and his latest contract should have been longer.

2 minutes ago, ayro said:

With regard to Lowry’s contract are there limitations on how long a contract you can give a young player to avoid the scenario that Dundee Utd under McLean were guilty of back in the 80s-90s to avoid onerous contracts?

@The Dude @Elfideldo

You can offer youth over the age of 18 any length of contract I believe, but realistically nobody signs deals for more than 5 years. 

No agent would agree to that without some serious increases built into the deal. 

McLean was different, as you held a players registration after expiry of a deal. He effectively told players to sign the deals, or he’d never play them again and refuse to sell them - effectively meaning their professional career was done. 

29 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

The fact diallo was brought in and ultimately pushed his chances of any game time out the door, he's quite right to look elsewhere. After the few games he played in he should've been given until the end of the season to show what he could do not bring in some waster from man utd. 

Absolutely no chance the support would have accepted gio starting lowry in any game until the tarriers beat us at ibrox recently

Look at the flak gio was getting, could you imagine it if he decided the likes of lowry and king would play more in games like united away, motherwell at home etc

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We're only patient with the likes of lowry and king because they haven't fucked up yet

Had lowry not came on for hagi and played well and instead cost us, or had king cost a goal or two at st mirren, we'd not even bother about them the now 

Actually that's true. If anything we're actually harder on our own young players as a support:lol:

Either way we should be blooding these young guys in.

4 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

You can offer youth over the age of 18 any length of contract I believe, but realistically nobody signs deals for more than 5 years. 

No agent would agree to that without some serious increases built into the deal. 

McLean was different, as you held a players registration after expiry of a deal. He effectively told players to sign the deals, or he’d never play them again and refuse to sell them - effectively meaning their professional career was done. 

Cheers mate.

It will probably depend on when Lowry signed his last deal, his age and development etc.

Think Ross Wilson has been underwhelming in the DOF role but this one could be just bad timing that Lowry has shown he can play at the level required and now we need to convince him longer term to stay.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not sure I agree there. Most on here were adamant he'd never see Chelsea's first-team once he left here. He didn't take too long to get himself in there and is now playing regularly in the PL at age 20, scotland regular, played at the Euros.

I'm talking about Patterson, not Gilmour.

3 hours ago, King Jela said:

No, not anywhere actually. I made the point of how ridiculous the rule was that he got a Champions league winners medal. 

Where the fuck did you see me comparing them against each other?

So why bring someone like zungu into it, we loaned him for a year to see if he was worth buying, he wasnt, his move to us wasnt a success given he was trying to earn a move to a bigger club, winners medal or not

Gilmour went to chelsea and within 5 years is essentially a starter for his country, has played in the champions league (dead rubber or not, its still better than he'd have achieved if he stayed here), got himself a winners medal for it, and is now rated high enough that he'll have no shortage of buyers down south should chelsea sell him, oh and he's made a fucking fortune as well

Zungu's move to us wasn't a success because he wanted to earn a move to us, gilmours move to chelsea is a success because he wanted to play at the highest level and win things, which he has done