Frankfurt players, coach, tactics

52 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

They haven't lost a game in Europe this season. Granted we set up differently away from home, but my concern is that, other than Dortmund, our big performances have generally come at Ibrox.

RedStar was a loss in name only; we did the job holding a 3-0 and lost only because of a stoppage time penalty.

I think that with both Braga and RB Leipzig Gio played not to give up goals and go home with a chance.

In Seville there’s no holding back. I don’t see Gio playing for a goal and then parking the bus. Pedal to medal from the start.

With the exception of the Dortmund game, i don't think we've passed the ball well, retained possession or created many chances away from home. We have been well organised, strong and competitive but not at our attacking best.

Frankfurt seem to get better results away from home, both in Europe and the Bundesliga.

I think tactics will be key to winning in Seville, fortunately Gio seems to be getting them right more often than not.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/player/rafael-borre

Frankfurt's Columbia centre forward, Rafael Borre. 

Appears to have a nice touch, holds the ball up well and links up with their runners from midfield and out wide. Doesn't seem to be a prolific scorer, but did score a screamer against Barcelona.

20 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

I believe its possible, and on paper we've beaten better teams, but their European form is consistently incredible. I was confident for a few days following knocking out Leipzig but I think I was just riding the high. Now that the dust has settled I think its just going to be a bridge too far in my heart or hearts. 

That being said, RB hadn't lost an away game in Europe all season and we turned them over.

Following BD and RBL this is a tie I don’t consider a bridge to far. Not in anyway taking anything for granted but think this is a tie we can win. 

I know they are Jekyll and Hyde domestic/Europe but also cannot ignore they have only won 10 games this year, what is it ? 2 in 15…..that’s not bad luck, that’s a team with issues. 

Like I say, not nonchalant about it and probably 50/50 is fair but why not ?

22 hours ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

RedStar was a loss in name only; we did the job holding a 3-0 and lost only because of a stoppage time penalty.

I think that with both Braga and RB Leipzig Gio played not to give up goals and go home with a chance.

In Seville there’s no holding back. I don’t see Gio playing for a goal and then parking the bus. Pedal to medal from the start.

Yeah but they haven’t lost any games in the whole competition in the 90 mins 

2 hours ago, markem said:

Following BD and RBL this is a tie I don’t consider a bridge to far. Not in anyway taking anything for granted but think this is a tie we can win. 

I know they are Jekyll and Hyde domestic/Europe but also cannot ignore they have only won 10 games this year, what is it ? 2 in 15…..that’s not bad luck, that’s a team with issues. 

Like I say, not nonchalant about it and probably 50/50 is fair but why not ?

Their record at home in the Bundesliga is poor this season. Which is surprising since they have big stadium with a good atmosphere. 

They've had some good results against some of the better teams in Germany and in Europe which shows they do have quality.

They seem to get better results against teams that attack them and leave space for the counter attack, where they can use pace from midfield and out wide.

Their coach did say in an interview that they've struggled against the low block.

Our best option might be to sit deep, forcing them to try and break us down, then hitting them on the counter. Especially if we don't a CF.

If we do set up defensively, it's gonna be a nail biting 90 minutes.

16 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Yeah but they haven’t lost any games in the whole competition in the 90 mins 

They are a mid table Bundesliga side and we have dealt with two teams ranked considerably higher than them.  There is no better team to get in a European final.  Our away record isn't great but in context it's fine, we have really been trying to setup our knockout games to come back to Ibrox or in the case of Belgrade then we were just trying to see out the tie.

33 minutes ago, RDB14 said:

They are a mid table Bundesliga side and we have dealt with two teams ranked considerably higher than them.  There is no better team to get in a European final.  Our away record isn't great but in context it's fine, we have really been trying to setup our knockout games to come back to Ibrox or in the case of Belgrade then we were just trying to see out the tie.

You don't get to the final of the Europa League unbeaten without being a good team. 

They have also had good results this season against Bayern, Dortmund and RBL.

We're definitely underdogs for the final. But if we get our tactics right, and the players put in a performance than we've got a good chance.

20 minutes ago, five stars said:

You don't get to the final of the Europa League unbeaten without being a good team. 

We're definitely underdogs for the final. But if we get our tactics right, and the players put in a performance than we've got a good chance.

They're definitely favourites, but that suits us. I think Gio is key. He has been tactically excellent in Europe and has secured great results without star players. If we sets us up properly it could cover for the loss of Morelos/Roofe etc.

19 minutes ago, five stars said:

I'm not saying they are not a good team, I'm saying they aren't anything above the level we have already played and they are about as average a team as you'd expect to meet in a European final.  I don't think we are underdogs, we would comfortably compete at the level they are in the Bundesliga and I'd expect us to finish higher than them.  We need to go for the throat, they are not anything special at this level.  They are more than capable and can beat us on their day but I would be disappointed if we can't get the win.  I think our players also have the benefit that they are far more used to playing in must-win games than Frankfurt are.

A few impressions from the Frankfurt perspective 😉 the first half of the season went well for us, we were close to the international places and also had the chance to push ourselves into the Champions League with wins against teams from the lower regions of the table. However, we blew it up in two games and suddenly lost touch. Since then we have two faces. Once the unmotivated and bored Bundesliga face and once the Euopa League face. In the league it feels like everyone only plays at 90%, while in Europe they give 120%. I hope you just look at our Bundesliga face and underestimate us 😂 but I don't think that will happen. As some have pointed out, I think you would make life easier for yourselves if you played defensively against us. We hardly get along with that. We are most dangerous when we can wait and rely on our fast switching game, which is why we usually have better results against the supposedly stronger teams. That's where we get the space we need. All in all, I have a feeling it's going to be a game where anything can happen. Depending on how the day goes, you can shoot us out of the stadium, we'll reverse you, or we'll see an extremely close game..

32 minutes ago, Yanniko said:

A few impressions from the Frankfurt perspective 😉 the first half of the season went well for us, we were close to the international places and also had the chance to push ourselves into the Champions League with wins against teams from the lower regions of the table. However, we blew it up in two games and suddenly lost touch. Since then we have two faces. Once the unmotivated and bored Bundesliga face and once the Euopa League face. In the league it feels like everyone only plays at 90%, while in Europe they give 120%. I hope you just look at our Bundesliga face and underestimate us 😂 but I don't think that will happen. As some have pointed out, I think you would make life easier for yourselves if you played defensively against us. We hardly get along with that. We are most dangerous when we can wait and rely on our fast switching game, which is why we usually have better results against the supposedly stronger teams. That's where we get the space we need. All in all, I have a feeling it's going to be a game where anything can happen. Depending on how the day goes, you can shoot us out of the stadium, we'll reverse you, or we'll see an extremely close game..

Unfortunately, we'll be playing against the Europa League version of the Frankfurt team and not the disinterested Bundesliga version.

2 hours ago, offminorthreat said:

In my view the major determining factor is Rangers starting XI mentality. If they believe they can win, we will do them over and blown them away. If they don't then it could go absolutely any direction. 

You never know how players will react to such a huge game.

Frankfurt have got good players and team spirit, too many people underestimating them because we beat Dortmund and RBL.

They start as slight favourites but I think we're gonna do. Primarily because I think Gio will get his tactics right, but it requires that our players aren't overwhelmed by the occasion, and play at or near their best.

2 hours ago, five stars said:

You never know how players will react to such a huge game.

Frankfurt have got good players and team spirit, too many people underestimating them because we beat Dortmund and RBL.

They start as slight favourites but I think we're gonna do. Primarily because I think Gio will get his tactics right, but it requires that our players aren't overwhelmed by the occasion, and play at or near their best.

I'm not sure anyone is underestimating them, but its a fact we've beaten better teams to get here the same way its fact thay they've beaten better teams than us on their way to the final. It's a winnable final for either club, so both supports are right to have confidence.

I think Gio could be the key factor to this game. If he gets this right, and he generally has in Europe, it could potentially overcome any players we're missing. His in-game flexibility could be important too.

Against Braga and Leipzig we rarely walked the ball up the pitch. We by passed the midfield with long punts by McGregor, long passes by Goldson, Bassey and Lundstram, and charges up field by Goldson and Bassey. This stressed the opponents defense and permitted us to press immediately if we lost the ball. Braga and Leipzig were not ready for this and were unable to cope other than for short periods. We did the same to Ross County on Sunday in order to maintain the rhythm. I think Gio is going hit Frankfurt early and often as well.