*****The Official Europa League Final Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

My biggest fear was that players in our team would shit it from the occasion. Unfortunately almost all of our players did play the occasion and not the team 

Goldson you could see was nervy from the start, first touch all over the place and his distribution was shocking on top of the obvious glaring error 

3 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

People are going out of their way to not blame Bassey, had it been the other way about and Goldson lost the marker for the goal the views would be completely different.

He was very good again last night, but his individual lapses are stilling costing us goals whether people want to admit it or not. Nearly cost us with poor play out wide, but did well to recover, lucky Borre is not the quickest though.

Jason Burt in the Telegraph pinning it on Bassey fair & square.

Again, while he showed a lot of good qualities & was arguably our best player, there is still plenty of work to do on him.

45 minutes ago, delparlane said:

Surprised Tav is getting a pass as well.   One of the worst games I’ve seen from him, which was tbh both surprising and a huge letdown.

Was rated man of the match by FotMob!

As bizarre a decision as any of the random sponsors MoM awards you get at Ibrox!

Not one person on this forum would’ve had Sakala take a penalty last night so you could see why he was taken off. However, I wouldn’t make a sub hit one, it’s just pointless and added psychological pressure. If it was me it would’ve been Goldson or Bassey taking that one

20 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

If Goldson just taps their goal out for a corner we win the Europa League 1-0 in 90 minutes. His decision to let it go past him cost everyone everything. It'll haunt him for the rest of his days.

I suppose a bit like with Barisic you have to pay a lot of money for defenders who don't have a mistake in them  

Just now, Thermopylae said:

I suppose a bit like with Barisic you have to pay a lot of money for defenders who don't have a mistake in them  

Goldson has made that same mistake a number of times with us. He'll continue to make it again wherever he goes because he never learns, but it'll never be as costly as last night.

28 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

If Goldson just taps their goal out for a corner we win the Europa League 1-0 in 90 minutes. His decision to let it go past him cost everyone everything. It'll haunt him for the rest of his days.

And if they then score from the resulting corner its 1-1 and even if they don't the game takes a different path of play and the could score 2 before 90 minutes is up, its all ifs and buts m8, Kent scores at the end etc etc. 

50 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Not one person on this forum would’ve had Sakala take a penalty last night so you could see why he was taken off. However, I wouldn’t make a sub hit one, it’s just pointless and added psychological pressure. If it was me it would’ve been Goldson or Bassey taking that one

Perhaps if Goldson or Bassey had confidently put their names forward they would have, instead of relying on an unused sub being one of the original five takers. Players should never be “made” take PKs unless of course they have no choice because of sudden death.

16 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

And if they then score from the resulting corner its 1-1 and even if they don't the game takes a different path of play and the could score 2 before 90 minutes is up, its all ifs and buts m8, Kent scores at the end etc etc. 

You’ve never been so sensible sounding Scotty

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You’ve never been so sensible sounding Scotty

I'm as frustrated and pissed off as anyone m8 but I'm not going to over think this till my big bald head explodes, we got beat and after watching it back this morning we can't say Frankfurt probably shaded it, I'm now focused on Saturday. 

Was just looking at how much our coefficient has improved and noticed every team we played in this run are there or above us.

Red Star = 36th

Braga = 35th

Rangers = 33rd

Frankfurt = 26th

Dortmund - 19th

Leipzig = 13th

We've competed at a hell of a level. Our coefficient can only improve next season as well as we will be losing the 0.250 points from the disaster Progres game under Pedro.

Weird for me because I never would have dreamed I'd see us in another European final. Now, I'm already thinking we'll make another one :lol:

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Finally back in the house.  Not really posted on social media or fuck all since penalties last night.  Absolutely gutted, easily the worst I’ve ever felt in my life supporting Rangers and probably only my da dying has ever been worse.  Was in tears at full time and had to get out that stadium as soon as the penalty went in. 50 minute walk to a hotel aswell myself.  Horrible horrible experience.  Would rather have lost 3-0 than the way we did.  Ryan Kent’s miss will haunt me forever.  Absolutely gutted.  The goal we scored, the celebration was amazing, never celebrated a goal like that in my life, but ultimately all for nothing.  A lot of posts going about pride in the team for getting there etc and aye I get that I just can’t see it right now.  Maybe just need a few days to get over it.  Honestly can’t even look forward to another cup final Saturday now tbh. 

14C8F218-CF78-4FC7-8EAC-DD7FC5452441.jpeg

0D382699-AA99-4A0C-9D53-5983A460A96A.jpeg

30B02DB1-C118-4073-B12E-FF14B37FC531.jpeg

5187ACEF-9ADF-4976-BC0C-08958C95C1FB.jpeg

13585116-DE7A-462A-B58D-257C0F62AA22.jpeg

C118D285-1020-4DFA-A294-D8FD06427F7F.jpeg

This is pretty much how I feel. My phone mysteriously lost signal after the game too and I had to wander around for an hour until I somehow found my hotel through sheer luck.

The Frankfurt fans have been really sound when I’ve met them but as nice as he is, the old geezer opposite me on the train to Malaga watching Frankfurt on tv live parading the trophy around Frankfurt to 100k fans is making me feel a bit sick.

2 hours ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Far too sensible, Scotty. If the muppets think about it long enough they should (hopefully) come to the same conclusion.

1 minute ago, keithgersbear said:

I'll never understand why we didn't just shut the game down at 1-0 and just get everyone behind the ball and play cynical time wasting football. I'll remain convinced forever we would have won that final if we did. 

We pretty much did. Only slack defending from Wright and Goldson and terrific movement from Borre let them in to score.

5 hours ago, barrymorrison1 said:

That’s mental if true. Can’t even remotely remember anybody mentioning that.

Now that would have been even worse than the miss. Kent scoring us all going mental thinking that we had won it in the last minute, for it to be chopped off by Var.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

We pretty much did. Only slack defending from Wright and Goldson and terrific movement from Borre let them in to score.

Too many gaps. The cross would have struggled to get in if we just packed our penalty area. Like Inter did to Barcelona years ago. All history now but as you say I felt we left too much space when we got the lead.