*****The Official Europa League Final Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

10 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

We can’t go into this with 5 at the back.

Its ok against the likes of Dortmund and Leipzig away from home in a 2 leg tie. But a one of final we simply can’t play that defensive, we need to go in with confidence and play to win.

We’ve seen the result of playing negatively in a final in Manchester where we were even more defensive than usual and it didn’t turn out very well.

Get Lundstram in midfield and I’d get Sakala in place of Wright.

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Bassey Barisic

Jack Lundstram Kamara

Sakala Aribo Kent 

Gio sets up very differently away from home in Europe as compared to Ibrox and I think we're more likely to see a slightly more cautious version of the latter. I imagine we'll be a 4-3-3 in possession and maybe drop Lundstram into CB out of possession if required, but I don't think it'll get any more defensive than that. 

35 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Its ok against the likes of Dortmund and Leipzig away from home in a 2 leg tie. But a one of final we simply can’t play that defensive, we need to go in with confidence and play to win.

We’ve seen the result of playing negatively in a final in Manchester where we were even more defensive than usual and it didn’t turn out very well.

McGregor

Jack Lundstram Kamara

Sakala Aribo Kent 

We had back 5 against Leipzig and didn’t play negatively, Lundstram being in more of a right sided CB position allows Tavernier to get much further forward. 5 atb also allows Bassey to bomb forward with the ball and work things down the left with Barisic.

35 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

McGregor

Jack Lundstram Kamara

Sakala Aribo Kent 

Agree with this.  I want to see us flying out the traps and converting to 5 at the back if required to see out the game.  I definitely do not want us starting in a negative fashion.  Not sure on Sakala or Wright, Wright is gash but Sakala just runs around like a headless chicken at times.  The only benefit to Sakala is that if he has no idea what he is going to do then neither do Frankfurt.

53 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

McGregor

Jack Lundstram Kamara

Sakala Aribo Kent 

We won't go that defensive. Away in Europe gio has been looking to have something to work with going back to Ibrox.

I think this game we'll look to come flying out the traps like at home. Get them pressed back immediately and look for an early goal. 

31 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Was trying to calm myself because it's all I've thought about all day, got in from work and the boy across from me has hung a Rangers in Seville flag, got all excited and went for a cargo to watch YouTube videos for the rest of the day, this is fucking torture, fuck knows what quivering mess I'm going to be by Wednesday 

20220515_164007.jpg

It’s brutal mate.  Next few nights are going to be torture trying to get a decent sleep.

Wouldn't have it any other way tbh.

6 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

It’s brutal mate.  Next few nights are going to be torture trying to get a decent sleep.

Wouldn't have it any other way tbh.

We win this and I'll be a big bald adult crying shambles. 

37 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

We had back 5 against Leipzig and didn’t play negatively, Lundstram being in more of a right sided CB position allows Tavernier to get much further forward. 5 atb also allows Bassey to bomb forward with the ball and work things down the left with Barisic.

We definitely played negatively against Leipzig away.

I just checked the highlights on YouTube and we had one proper chance from Kent the entire game, then according to BBC stats for the game we had 29% possession and 1 shot on goal. Obviously from memory Leipzig didn’t have too many clear cut opportunities which was the plan.

Don’t get me wrong that type of performance has its place and Gio obviously planned to draw the game which we nearly managed to do, and in the end it worked out very well. 

But in a cup final that isn’t the way we should be playing. I think Gio has shown enough flexibility and tactical ability in Europe to suggest he’s not going into the final the same way to be fair.

One minute, I want us to attack, attack, attack and then the next minute I like the idea of having three centre backs.

This is why Gio gets paid the big bucks and I will be biting my nails and drinking lager behind the couch.

3 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I keep having a repetitive dream, just woke up there again after a wee afternoon doze, and we are winning at half time, 3 nil.

Only dream I've had about it we were down 2 - 0, brought Roofe on and he was literally running about the box holding his leg, we scored a header and got beat 2 - 1. I was in a stinking mood all morning after it.

1 hour ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Was trying to calm myself because it's all I've thought about all day, got in from work and the boy across from me has hung a Rangers in Seville flag, got all excited and went for a cargo to watch YouTube videos for the rest of the day, this is fucking torture, fuck knows what quivering mess I'm going to be by Wednesday 

20220515_164007.jpg

I was the same then ended up mwi Friday night, passed out on the couch with Rangers vs Brondby of all the games blaring on the tele, got an earful from her in the morning for the chaos that engulfed the living room, learned I’d been banned from Follow Follow, and had the hangover of a lifetime all Saturday

Preparation for Wednesday. We leave tomorrow night.

We’re on our wayyyyyy, we’re on our way! :dance: