Keeper on Saturday

G.E.C.

Goalkeeper for the final   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Keeper

• McLaughlin
    • McGregor

14 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I actually think McGregor will sign on for another year, but as a back up keeper.

Would help with the Scottish Quota for Europe. He is probably still a better option than McCrorie.

Nah he's done this summer. 

15 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I actually think McGregor will sign on for another year, but as a back up keeper.

Would help with the Scottish Quota for Europe. He is probably still a better option than McCrorie.

Think it was Kenny Miller last night basically saying its up to him to re-sign. Worrying 

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Nah he's done this summer. 

He probably should be, but I just have a feeling that he will want to stick around.

To be honest, as an emergency backup possibly taking on some kind of GK coaching roll, it might not be the worst.

I just think that we are going to be struggling with the Scottish Quota for Europe, and if signing him to sit on the bench allowed us to bring in a quality right winger who we could register, it might be somewhat appealing.

We have Souttar coming in who obviously will up our numbers by 1, but I genuinely dont think there are many other Scottish trained players who would be of interest to us right now who would not cost a fortune. Doig at left back potentially but think he might be rabid. Ferguson at Aberdeen seems not to have kicked on at all.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

He probably should be, but I just have a feeling that he will want to stick around.

To be honest, as an emergency backup possibly taking on some kind of GK coaching roll, it might not be the worst.

I just think that we are going to be struggling with the Scottish Quota for Europe, and if signing him to sit on the bench allowed us to bring in a quality right winger who we could register, it might be somewhat appealing.

We have Souttar coming in who obviously will up our numbers by 1, but I genuinely dont think there are many other Scottish trained players who would be of interest to us right now who would not cost a fortune. Doig at left back potentially but think he might be rabid. Ferguson at Aberdeen seems not to have kicked on at all.

It'll be McLaughlin, McCrorie and another, probably Seigrist.

I actually rate McLaughlin, but im not sure he is good enough to be our No1.

If he isnt, then I would probably look to move him on if possible and bring in someone like that big beardy Clarke to be our back up, and invest in the best possible choice for number 1.

That way our backup would be decent, but would know the script about being second choice, whilst helping us fill the quota.

8 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Which would mean we lose a squad registration place in Europe.

Neither McLaughlin or Seigrist would go towards the Squad Scottish quota.

You may well be right, but it gives as a new problem.

We will be picking a few other Scottish players from the league along with giving the likes of Lowry etc more prominent positions in our squad.

14 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

We will be picking a few other Scottish players from the league along with giving the likes of Lowry etc more prominent positions in our squad.

Scottish players under-21 (as long as they have been with us for 2 years) dont have to be registered, so guys like King and Lowry dont really come into it, but obviously help giving us options if we genuinely do give them game time.

I think the rule is basically that your euro squad can be 25 players in size, but 8 have to be scottish trained.

If we only have say 7 scottish trained players, then you have to only submit an empty slot, so you effectively only have a squad size of 24.

Right now we have :-

McGregor, McCrorie, Jack, Souttar and Wright when he comes in. So 5 Scottish trained players. If we lose McGregor, that drops to 4. Means that rather than being able to submit a squad of 25 for Europe, we can only name 20.

Like you say, we might pick up some other Scottish trained players, but outside of Hickey, Ramsay and Doig, not many stand out as being potentially interesting. Gilmour on loan would help mind you.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Scottish players under-21 (as long as they have been with us for 2 years) dont have to be registered, so guys like King and Lowry dont really come into it, but obviously help giving us options if we genuinely do give them game time.

I think the rule is basically that your euro squad can be 25 players in size, but 8 have to be scottish trained.

If we only have say 7 scottish trained players, then you have to only submit an empty slot, so you effectively only have a squad size of 24.

McGregor, McCrorie, Jack, Souttar and Wright when he comes in. So 5 Scottish trained players. If we lose McGregor, that drops to 4. Means that rather than being able to submit a squad of 25 for Europe, we can only name 20.

Like you say, we might pick up some other Scottish trained players, but outside of Hickey, Ramsay and Doig, not many stand out as being potentially interesting. Gilmour on loan would help mind you.

4 must be club trained and 4 within the association's territory.

Club - Lowry, King, McCrorie

Association - Jack, Souttar, Arfield, Wright.

9 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

If you have the likes of Lowry and King taking up first team squad places and not needing to be registered it helps registering non national players. 

Gilmour wouldn't be classed as trained in Scotland though....