Farewell Shagger

1 minute ago, PromDeAnglais said:

He was almost in tears at the end. It's definitely a goodbye. Whether he retires now or does something else for one or two more seasons remains to be seen. 

He tells Premier Sports: Nobody said that [it was my last game for Rangers]. I'm sure I'll have a Rangers jersey on at some point in the future.

"I've not thought about it [the future]. The last few months have been hectic since the last international break. All I was focusing on was the next game. I'll speak to the club soon enough and we'll take it from there.

"I'll have a holiday and have a pre-season and we'll see how it goes."

Very weird thing to say if he’s made up his mind to retire 

3 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

He tells Premier Sports: Nobody said that [it was my last game for Rangers]. I'm sure I'll have a Rangers jersey on at some point in the future.

"I've not thought about it [the future]. The last few months have been hectic since the last international break. All I was focusing on was the next game. I'll speak to the club soon enough and we'll take it from there.

Who's to say the club are going to offer him a new deal? I never said about retirement. He could easily do a season or two abroad, MLS or the likes. He is out of contract as of June. Gio might have plans to bring in his own number 1. 

5 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

Probably make an announcement later about it in a presser than announce it on a pitch. His contract is up in just over a week.

2 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Who's to say the club are going to offer him a new deal? I never said about retirement. He could easily do a season or two abroad, MLS or the likes. He is out of contract as of June. Gio might have plans to bring in his own number 1. 

Yeah that’s more likely, there were a few others mentioning retirement. Would be weird to play a full season as number 1 in a team that were European finalists then just retire overnight 

I listened to his interview on Premier earlier and while he was not going to say anything for certain, and as much as I love him as our keeper, I personally think it would be a mistake for him to stay another season, unless their is some job working with the young goalies but I would assume that is all covered.

He has been fantastic and leaving with a Scottish Cup winners medal seems a good time to go. 

Wish you all the best if you leave Allan. 

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

McLaughlin should be no.1 for me. Took pressure off today at times coming and collecting crosses. Invaluable in this league.

Said the same after the semi against the Bheasts - he commands the box far better than Shagger ever did.

Alan McGregor is one of the best shot stoppers world football has ever seen, but he has weaknesses which probably prevented him from getting picked up by one of the big money teams.

Greegsy's had some great moments in a Rangers shirt, and if that happens to be his final appearance for us then he'll leave as one of our greatest ever keepers and leave a tough goalmouth to fill.

Would have been incredible for him to retire after making penalty saves on Wednesday to win the Europa league given he played a HUGE part in us getting there (double save against Sparta and the penalty save against red star stick out).

Unfortunately football (and life) isn’t that kind but glad for him to get the adulation of the fans today and sign off the right way.

I think it’s a testament to how much of an impact he’s had In the last 4 years that no one really mentioned 2012 anymore, he has well and truly earned my forgiveness and then layered it with gratitude for some incredible saves.

This year was probably one year too far as mistakes crept in so it’s the right time for him to move on (maybe get a gig on Sky just to wind up that lot) and I wish him all the best and say thanks for the memories.