Has this season been a success?

I'd say acceptable for 1 season but not successful. Successful to me is something I'd accept season after season, and that can't be the case without the league title.

But on reflection:

Upheaval of changing manager mid season

Lost the league by 4 points to a team that spent £25m more than us, 20m more than the entire country

Fucked the league Cup and CL

Punched above our weight in the EL and raked in millions.

Delivered SC silverware

Brought exciting youths into 1stvream squad

Started making serious profit from sales in Patterson.

All in all, decent given the circumstances, but could and should have been so much better. And that starts with the Board and Ross Wilson today.

What I will say is the standards are back 

In the last two seasons we have won the league , been to a European final and finally ended the Hampden hoodoo  

any player coming in will now know what is required and expected to be part of a successful Rangers team . Which was definitely something we seemed to have lost for a while between 2012 to around 2018. 

We have given ourselves a platform to have a successful season next time. I had my doubts about Gio at first, but no longer, he has shown that he knows how to set up a team. The Cup drought is over and a few good signings over the summer will see us fine, just fingers crossed that Soutar can stay fit and produce the same level of performance from yesterday on a regular basis for us. If as suspected Shagger retires it will be interesting to see who is brought in to back up McLauchlan, assuming that Big Jon gets the No.1 shirt.

We may lose a couple along with Goldson if stupid money bids are made, we can only hope that contingency plans are in place for this and potential replacements have been identified. In short bring it on and let us make it a priority to shut up that gobby Greek and his fat Gaffer.

Financially - yes

On the pitch - not as successful as we would have liked. To have lost the league by four point is disappointing with too many silly draws having cost us. However the team were as close to greatness as it could possibly have been on Wednesday and those four home knockout ties will live with me forever.

Runners up in EL final after an amazing run and Scottish Cup winners? I’d have taken that if offered at the start of the season

Its not all about the number of trophies you lift. It goes way beyond that. The EL was something special, something young Rangers fan haven’t experienced before and something most supporters never thought they’d experience again. Should also inspire the young players coming thro as well as focusing the board.

Ramsey aside, we’ve not spent any serious money on a player since Kent’s arrival. And our previous manager fucked off mid season with little more than a day or two’s warning.

Was the season a success? Absolutely. It was one save/one kick  away from being possibly the greatest season in my lifetime which is saying something when you consider how we won 55 the year before.

Not successful for me. The points swing in the league was a disaster. Had the chance to do something about that in january and fucked it. When were we last able to field a striker? 

Ultimately being runner up in the league and even the europa league is still failure. Its unlikely we will have a better chance at winning a european trophy again and thats the thing that hurts the most. 

GVB deserves time but he has to hit the ground running come the qualifiers. This means we need to do business asap. 

My boy will probably never witness us getting to another Europa final unless football changes dramatically or we get a Saudi owner. 

Seasons like this give us memories 99% of season do not.

Just now, The Godfather said:

My boy will probably never witness us getting to another Europa final unless football changes dramatically or we get a Saudi owner. 

Bang on.

No. Getting put out by Malmo was fuckin awful and we threw away the league. By fuck we were a penalty kick away from winning the Europa League and had an amazing run but we lost. Winning the Scottish Cup was good. Like others, I have amazing memories from Seville but for me it’s about winning. 

13 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I'd say more of a glorious failure. I've been so proud of my team this season and have enjoyed it. We put Rangers back on the map but in terms of measuring success it's a no.

Went into the season as favourites to win the league against a depleted celtic. Looking to get champions League football with the opportunity make ourselves financially secure. We failed on both parts albeit down to the rat jumping ship. As it stands we have went from a position of power to a position of weakness allowing our rivals to put themselves years ahead of us potentially.

celtic weren’t depleted when the league started.

they spent £30m over two windows, the vast majority of that in the summer.

yes, they had a short time to pull it together but they weren’t depleted.

11 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We said the same about Manchester, I'm sure we'll get there again in the future, hopefully sooner than we all think.

Has to be the league for me, so no.  Gifted it to them.  Those home games to Motherwell and Hearts, away to County and getting 1 point at Dundee Utd.  10 points easily blown.  Europe was unbelievable but devastating in the end, we deserved that yesterday to salvage something and get that silverware back to Ibrox.

3 hours ago, OzzieBear said:

Agreed.

Add to  your list.

League for Women's team

Trophy for B team 

Some exciting youngsters coming through.

Value of squad increased (with some other players ready to peak)

Coaching staff will continue to develop the squad and any new players that come in.

Decent money pot from run in Europe.

I am not worried in the least about the 40m that that mob will pickup from ECL, it won't all go back into the team, most of it will go straight to Dermot Desmond or whoever owns them 😄.

Me neither mate, plus we have beaten teams on our euro run that have zillions more than us. 

A 65 game season says it all for me. Fighting on all fronts, impressing the whole of Europe with our resolve and good football, a new manager half way through, a major trophy in the cabinet with friends and admirers being made along the way.  A team that always went the full 90 and never surrendered and wore the shirt with determination and pride

Add to that some emotionally draining losses of friends that cannot be replaced in Jimmy Bell and Walter Smith, and that outside forces have made it as difficult as possible for us and I say…. ‘Yes, this season has been a success’ 

And personally, I’m shattered emotionally, totally shattered. 

GSTQ and enjoy your summer, next season we go again. 

3 hours ago, OzzieBear said:

Agreed.

Add to  your list.

League for Women's team

Trophy for B team 

Some exciting youngsters coming through.

Value of squad increased (with some other players ready to peak)

Coaching staff will continue to develop the squad and any new players that come in.

Decent money pot from run in Europe.

I am not worried in the least about the 40m that that mob will pickup from ECL, it won't all go back into the team, most of it will go straight to Dermot Desmond or whoever owns them 😄.

£40m doesn’t guarantee success, yes it improves the chances of success, but only if it’s spent correctly.

Look at Man Utd, spent a fucking fortune and they are running to stand still. 

This season had a let of other things which impacted on the league, namely:

a manager fucking off mid season

questionable referring decisions

a previously reliable keeper gifting goals at key moments.

a winters break being brought forward to help our title challengers, and

the loss of key players through injury.

if any one of those three things hadn’t happened, then the title race would, at the very least,  have went down to the wire.

we competed and excelled Ona lesser budget before, we can do so again. Recruitment and the promotion of young players is key.

Success is when you win something, so yes, we won the Scottish Cup this season, the 34th time in our history. Maybe not the most successful season as we could have been better but a satisfying season as we reached the final of the Europa Cup which not many teams have or will ever achieve.  We also achieved another notable victory this season, being the only team in the world to be given the title of "THE OPPOSITION". Get it fucking right up them. We are the champions and always will be. WATP.

I feel it's been a success, I'm absolutely genuine when I say the whole not winning the league thing still hasn't effected me yet...of course winning the Europa League would have been outstanding , beyond belief, but I wouldn't trade those nights against Dortmund, Braga, Red Star and RB for the league. 

The requirement at Rangers is to deliver silverware every season and that has been done.