Has this season been a success?

Yes, of course. We had a great European run and an amazing mini-break in Seville for those who went. The club brought in lots of cash and we had lots of press exposure for our amazing fan base at the final.

Nothing you can do about injuries. We would have been better with a full squad but that's life.

The Scottish Cup has been missing for too long and I'm delighted to have it back home.

We had to change manager part way through the season and it's astonishing how well the team coped with that.

I don't give a fig about the team who won the league. We built the coefficient which they now benefit from and that's a pain but it happened and we move on.

Not sure if correct topic to post in  but anyone else finding it quite hard to appreciate or take in this season has ended 

last few months seems to have been a constant flow of old firm games , big European games and cup semi’s and finals which meant for around two months I was in a constant state of anticipation, excitement , worry , buzzing etc and now it’s just went to nothing for at least the next two months :lol: 

never really felt like this at the end of a season . Always usually been relief after a shite season or content after a successful season 

1 hour ago, cr3_bear said:

Not sure if correct topic to post in  but anyone else finding it quite hard to appreciate or take in this season has ended 

last few months seems to have been a constant flow of old firm games , big European games and cup semi’s and finals which meant for around two months I was in a constant state of anticipation, excitement , worry , buzzing etc and now it’s just went to nothing for at least the next two months :lol: 

never really felt like this at the end of a season . Always usually been relief after a shite season or content after a successful season 

I feel like it’s coming back from an amazing holiday. The excitement and euphoria before hand for weeks, the actual holiday, then the realisation a couple of days back you’re back to reality, it’s sinking in how depressing it is and feel lost a bit to the  high you’ve been experiencing for weeks.

Now, the games are over, I’ve looked back and basically buried my head in the sand they were running the league.

the Europa meant absolutely everything. Pot 1 CL, Money, prestige, super cup match, 2 European trophies, dining on that for years ti come.

now, it’s sinking home it’s back to fucking qualifiers, early pre season, scrambling for players not knowing where we will be in Europe.

and the tarriers still have the title. Makes me sick thinking about it.

I think I need to see some new signings soon to get me out of this mini slump, and then we can go again. 

No . 

The league is the benchmark and we blew it from starting the season being in a position of strength . 

On a positive note , we've finished the season strong , and though there'll be a lot of coming and goings , I'm liking the style and intensity under Gio , and expect more than a decent challenge for the title next year .

Winning the league would have been more of a success, but it was still a success.

Ok it's galling that they got the CL spot and the funds that go with it, but they'll need to spend half of that just to stay still. Also they're not likely to get any big fees for outgoings this year unlike last.

We have the Europa earnings players that will bring in decent funds. And we still might make the CL.

No. Exciting, tense and entertaining, but not a success. Ffs we were champions and threw away a 6 point lead and lost out to a shite team of try hards. Any season we don't win the league has to be looked at as a failure unless there's a European trophy. Accepting 2nd place or runners up is for losers. Fuck that.

On 24/05/2022 at 13:44, gmcf said:

No . 

The league is the benchmark and we blew it from starting the season being in a position of strength . 

On a positive note , we've finished the season strong , and though there'll be a lot of coming and goings , I'm liking the style and intensity under Gio , and expect more than a decent challenge for the title next year .

This, the League has to always be the benchmark for success that being said though, i can't recall feeling this upbeat despite not winning the league.

This summer just doesn't feel anywhere near as bleak as some in the past

20 hours ago, RDB14 said:

Im finding it hard to shake the feeling we threw the Europa league away, despite having no striker.  We beat much better teams than Frankfurt on route to the final and as much as we didn’t show up, they played below their peak too IMO.

This is niggling at me constantly, I felt we had a great chance of winning that final even with the below par performance we put in. The journey to get there was great but the defeat is a hugely different feeling from 2008 where we pretty much made up the numbers against Zenit. 

No, as far as the league goes, it was a huge disappointment but I also feel we were damaged because of the early shut down at Christmas and it allowed 'them' to get injured players back and new ones added.

We took a punt with Ramsey and Diallo which could have worked but it was not to be, I still think Ramsey could have been a good short time signing but he could not stay fit so it was a fuck up, but hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

The Europa run was fantastic, if only we could have stopped 'that cross' at some point it might have been different, a real kick in the balls losing after so many great results leading up to the final. I have to add it was a great thing to get to the final and Gio and the players deserve a lot of praise for that alone.

The Scottish Cup, that has not been in our trophy room for so long has made it a little easier to cope with the other two situations.

Yes, we changed manager early into the season, we won our first cup in 13 years and made our 5th European final in 150 years and yes it was bitter losing the league by 4 points especially the period of draws and the parkhead defeat but it was still overall successful imo and always worth the gamble of European glory.

Us and them have over 100 league titles between us and we’ll probably take turns over the next 100 but Europe is a level well beyond that so it’s always a success to get to that level and still win another trophy, not to mention the money we now have.

If we qualify for the CL, I think you could retrospectively argue it was. 

If we don’t, it’ll be the season we effectively gave up £40-60million of CL money, by failing to qualify and then failing to win the league. We’ll also have handed them circa £30-40million, which could have big ramifications for our ability to challenge them next season. 

1 hour ago, leam_baw said:

No it’s been a poor season. One trophy and blew the league with a free hit. Also lost to an average German side in a European final. Scottish cup has saved it from being disastrous 

Average german side that hadnt lost a game in the europa league

Fucking hell

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Average german side that hadnt lost a game in the europa league

Fucking hell

Yeah average as fuck to win away to Barcelona, Atalanta, West Ham, Betis, Antwerp, Olympiakos.

Also beat Bayern away, drew with RB, lost 3-2 to Dortmund though 🤣

Hopefully someone fishing.

On 25/05/2022 at 13:12, RDB14 said:

Im finding it hard to shake the feeling we threw the Europa league away, despite having no striker.  We beat much better teams than Frankfurt on route to the final and as much as we didn’t show up, they played below their peak too IMO.

We should have signed a striker in January. We can't make the same mistake again. It cost us the league and probably the final too.

13 minutes ago, Willis said:

We should have signed a striker in January. We can't make the same mistake again. It cost us the league and probably the final too.

In fairness, Aribo was asked to play striker in the final and scored. Had our chances, didn't take them. 

But fuck me in the current climate we shouldn't even be there. We were. Sucks we lost, but a bit of perspective. And every single one of those knockout games at Ibrox I'll never forget. A league title, aye I'm probably not going to remember it amongst the tanker load of league titles we'll win over my lifetime. Always remember this season. 

43 minutes ago, Worlds_Most_Successful_Team said:

In fairness, Aribo was asked to play striker in the final and scored. Had our chances, didn't take them. 

But fuck me in the current climate we shouldn't even be there. We were. Sucks we lost, but a bit of perspective. And every single one of those knockout games at Ibrox I'll never forget. A league title, aye I'm probably not going to remember it amongst the tanker load of league titles we'll win over my lifetime. Always remember this season. 

How did you feel when we signed Mo Johnston mate?