Clive Tyldesley on Rangers

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

I don't particularly dislike him. I just find him a bit of a prick (and have since long before he left us). Had a few interactions with him while he was here and just came across as a bit of an arse. 

After your few interactions maybe it was a case of he thought you were a bit of prick too.

I’ll always be grateful to him for giving our club its pride back, delivering 55, stopping 10 in a row in the process, giving us credibility in Europe and leaving us with a far better team than was here before he arrived.

Of course the timing of his departure wasn’t good at all but that apart he was great for Rangers.

The positives far outnumbered the one negative. 

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , that would make sense . I'm probably one of a few in here that think Nisbet would have been a good signing , particularly when we see how the season ended injury wise . 

Nisbet would've been a catastrophe of a signing. Absolutely shite and a massive waste of money! 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

A big, big part of it. The interest in Nisbet last summer is legit. Gary Mac watched him a fair bit and we were keen on him as far back as when he was at Dunfermline. Gerrard wanted him, board wouldn't sanction the sort of fee Hibs would want (£3-5m).

Once that happened he was ready to go without necessarily actively looking to leave and Villa ticked all the boxes for him - and us financially.

I tend to agree that he stayed a bit too long tbh but wonder how much of that was down to him losing some motivation and not quite having the keys to the car like he had before.

OK Dude....I'm gonnae play devil's advocate here...just say the board had sanctioned the move for Nesbitt (thankfully they never) and it never worked out as the majority would have expected.....do you think Gerrard would have knocked Villa back because of being able to sign Kevin Nesbitt??

11 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Folk rarely leave jobs for one single reason.

The Premier league is a huge draw, as is the spending power to operate in bigger market with more transfer funds and a bigger wage budget. Can't hold a grudge for having ambition.

The impact on his wages would have been of minimal influence I would imagine. And completely insignificant I'm relation to his family life.

Anyway, he'd achieved as much as he realistically could with Rangers. He could have won a few cups, but who places any value on them? his tactical inflexibility would not have allowed us to reach the UEFA final.

Good luck to him and thanks for 55. Can't believe the bitterness towards him. Do people honestly think anyone else worth their salt would reject Villla to stay here?  Bizarre when you consider died in the wool fans have left the club for England and been welcomed back.

Nobody will disagree with your obvious points but the bottom line is that his timing was all wrong. His family could have waited a few months and let's face it he's probably seen very little more of them with starting a new job. He owed it to the fans , the board and his players to finish the season and his legacy will suffer because of his selfishness, especially as it can be argued he cost us a league which should have been a given.

10 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Nobody will disagree with your obvious points but the bottom line is that his timing was all wrong. His family could have waited a few months and let's face it he's probably seen very little more of them with starting a new job. He owed it to the fans , the board and his players to finish the season and his legacy will suffer because of his selfishness, especially as it can be argued he cost us a league which should have been a given.

I'd rather have the season we had than winning the league. No way would he have got us to that final with one style of play.

Villa were highly unlikely to put an interim coach in place until the end of the season. They're certainly not going to do it at the behest of Stevie G.

It was then or never. Even if they had put in an interim, they could easily have been in the championship the following year and his chance would have gone or else the new manager could have been appointed on a permanent basis.

He didn't choose the timing and wasn't in control of when their offer came. Rangers and the fans wouldn't have been loyal to Stevie G if he hadn't won the league either. He got himself out at the perfect time, whilst his stock was still high. Nobody would have touched him if he hadn't won the league again.

6 hours ago, hammer93 said:

OK Dude....I'm gonnae play devil's advocate here...just say the board had sanctioned the move for Nesbitt (thankfully they never) and it never worked out as the majority would have expected.....do you think Gerrard would have knocked Villa back because of being able to sign Kevin Nesbitt??

He certainly wouldn't have been so keen to jump. The thing about Nesbit is that it isn't as much about who it was rather than what happened. Gerrard felt he wasn't being backed by the board to push forward, it wasn't a footballing decision not to sign Nisbet but a financial one.

Say it did work out and Nisbet scored the goal to take us to 56 and automatic CL place...

58 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He certainly wouldn't have been so keen to jump. The thing about Nesbit is that it isn't as much about who it was rather than what happened. Gerrard felt he wasn't being backed by the board to push forward, it wasn't a footballing decision not to sign Nisbet but a financial one.

Say it did work out and Nisbet scored the goal to take us to 56 and automatic CL place...

Come to fuck Dude, Nesbitt was fucking rotten last season.....even you have to acknowledge that the last bit is pie in the sky stuff

23 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Come to fuck Dude, Nesbitt was fucking rotten last season.....even you have to acknowledge that the last bit is pie in the sky stuff

Winning the title last season was 'pie in the sky stuff'? Away not talk utter pish.

I'm not saying anything about how good or bad nisbet was last season. It's moot. He wasn't playing for Rangers so how he performed elsewhere bears no reflection on how good or bad he'd have been for us.

Re: Nisbet - we shouldn't be signing a fan of theirs unless they are on a different level.

He's shite and would have been here for the money primarily only.

Loved Gerrard but shows how dodgy his judgement of a player can be if he thought Nisbet would have improved us.

2 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

I'd rather have the season we had than winning the league. No way would he have got us to that final with one style of play.

Villa aren't highly unlikely to put in an interim coach in place until the end of the season. Theyre certainly not going to do it at the behest of Stevie G.

It was then or never. Even if they had put in an interim, they could easily have been in the championship the following year and his chance would have gone or else the new manager could have been appointed on a permanent basis.

He didn't choose the timing and wasn't in control of when they offer came. Rangers and the fans wouldn't have been loyal to Stevie G if he hadn't won the league either. He got himself out at the perfect time, whilst his stock was still high. Nobody would have touched him if he hadn't won the league again.

celtic are champions because of Gerrard, 200%, he started the season without fire in his belly and fuc*ed off first sniff of the EPL, his legacy is tarnished and the tims would have been miles behind us financially if he'd done his job. We had a magical journey in Europa league after GVB managed to improve on Gerrard's remarkable European adventures so I don't fling darts at Gerrard pic every night but he has tainted a wonderful relationship by choosing a club who will not satisfy him imo.

13 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Re: Nisbet - we shouldn't be signing a fan of theirs unless they are on a different level.

He's shite and would have been here for the money primarily only.

Loved Gerrard but shows how dodgy his judgement of a player can be if he thought Nisbet would have improved us.

He's 100% not a fan of theirs. He's a hibs fan. That's why he was so desperate to join Hibs from Dunfermline despite better offers/interest (including us and them)

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Winning the title last season was 'pie in the sky stuff'? Away not talk utter pish.

I'm not saying anything about how good or bad nisbet was last season. It's moot. He wasn't playing for Rangers so how he performed elsewhere bears no reflection on how good or bad he'd have been for us.

No Nesbitt winning us the league is pie in the sky.....a fit Morelos at Ibrox the day we lost the 2-1 is the difference between us winning the league....but you argue away as that's what you do best....get real mate as your statement is ludicrous....Nesbitt would hardly of played for us last season....even you have to admit that....4million would have been sheer and utter folly

5 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

No Nesbitt winning us the league is pie in the sky.....a fit Morelos at Ibrox the day we lost the 2-1 is the difference between us winning the league....but you argue away as that's what you do best....get real mate as your statement is ludicrous....Nesbitt would hardly of played for us last season....even you have to admit that....4million would have been sheer and utter folly

Aye, we were falling over strikers at the tail end of the season right enough. :lol:

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

He's 100% not a fan of theirs. He's a hibs fan. That's why he was so desperate to join Hibs from Dunfermline despite better offers/interest (including us and them)

He’s a tarrier

Somebody posted a pic of what he wanted to be at school and it was Celtic manager

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Aye, we were falling over strikers at the tail end of the season right enough. :lol:

Why are you such a clown....your argument was that had we signed Nesbitt it could have been the difference from winning the league and automatic qualification for the champions league.....correct?

I then argued that signing Nesbitt wouldn't have made one bit of difference to us winning the league as he is pish and your statement was pie in the sky stuff

You then twisted that and claimed " what winning the league was pie in the sky" quite clearly that wasn't what I said but you twist things cause you want to be controversial (or a fanny as most would agree in here) you are now bringing in the strikers issue....the only games we dropped points in were the two games against celtic.....you batter in if you believe we would have won both games with Kevin fucking nesbitt up top :headwall:

40 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Think at the end of the day you can't buy something you can't afford and clearly the board are/were running on empty. We couldn't afford to spend £4m total last summer let alone on one striker.

Rooky manager who did not know us, came up from a different country and took 3 years to turn us around. Got us to the stage where we are regularly performing well in Europe, won the title and according to reports has improved our professionalisim behind closed doors. He left us with a better squad but with a lot of experimental dross on the books but generally a better standard of player is now at Ibrox. Left at a bad time for us but left behind a better set up than when he took over. For that I thank him, but he is now history and we are focused on the future. Gio is now the King and it is onwards and upwards. Thanks SG, goodbye SG and see you around SG.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

No one could have predicted our two main strikers would be out injured at the same time.

Do you really believe Nesbitt is anywhere near the class of Morelos and Roofe right now?

If the rumours were true about a 4 million asking price, that’s a lot of cash for to fork out on a player who might not have made the bench never mind play every week.

10 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

No one could have predicted our two main strikers would be out injured at the same time.

Do you really believe Nesbitt is anywhere near the class of Morelos and Roofe right now?

If the rumours were true about a 4 million asking price, that’s a lot of cash for to fork out on a player who might not have made the bench never mind play every week.

No and I've not suggested otherwise. People are getting carried away with who the player is. It wasn't the fact it was Nesbit that was the issue but that having just won the title, Gerrard was beeing told to rely on signing freebies and loans. Nesbit just happened to be a target with an actual transfer value.