Recruitment

On 30/06/2022 at 13:49, Blacky Bear said:

I for one, who never really panics on, is shitting myself with lack of 1st team ins and outs.

FFS get the finger out Rangers, in my Opinion we finished Season better than the unwashed, but need to keep the momentum going over Fatso and his War Criminals.

How do we replace players fans have put on a pedestal not seen at Ibrox for decades? 

Look at our strongest 11

McGregor, Tavernier, Bassey, Goldson, Souttar, Lundstram, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Kent, Morelos. Arguably? 

Then you've got McLaughlin, Zukowski, Barisic, Helander, Katic, Arfield, Davis, Sands, Wright, Sakala and Hagi all in reserve. 

And another group after them with likes of McCann King Devine Lowry etc etc who all need minutes. 

Who are you replacing and improving? Perhaps our scouts can't find better players within our budget? 

We've signed enough squad fillers. We now need new players to replace those names above, I agree. But who. And at what cost?

The squad is enormous. 

11 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

This is why we should be focusing on quality and not quantity and also makes a mockery of keeping on davis, mcgregor and arfield.

Currently it looks like the board are trying to do it on the cheap as we are sniffing about free transfers and doesn't look like we have any grand plans in terms of signings. 

Its frustrating. I see a lot of good at the club in terms of improving players, coaching and fitness and tactics. Yet when it comes to actually signing or replacing players in our squad we seem to be constantly making short-term, opportunistic decisions.

Doubtless after Portugal there will be half a dozen or so of squad fillers who will be told to call their agents and find a new club if they want to play any football in the coming season.

I am not too fussed over the one year deals given to Davis, Arfield, and McGregor as I can see all 3 having a role to play in what hopefully will be another 60+ game season.

Buy low sell high only works with our star players if they want to move. If the attitude is 'I am happy where I am' then that scenario breaks down.

One maybe 2 signings is all I expect this window as I suspect that last seasons squad want to go again. I have nothing to back this up it's just my opinion.

7 hours ago, BigBearButt said:

This is why we should be focusing on quality and not quantity and also makes a mockery of keeping on davis, mcgregor and arfield.

Currently it looks like the board are trying to do it on the cheap as we are sniffing about free transfers and doesn't look like we have any grand plans in terms of signings. 

No argument there. 

On 04/07/2022 at 14:04, Rangers Da 1872 said:

How do we replace players fans have put on a pedestal not seen at Ibrox for decades? 

Look at our strongest 11

McGregor, Tavernier, Bassey, Goldson, Souttar, Lundstram, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Kent, Morelos. Arguably? 

Then you've got McLaughlin, Zukowski, Barisic, Helander, Katic, Arfield, Davis, Sands, Wright, Sakala and Hagi all in reserve. 

And another group after them with likes of McCann King Devine Lowry etc etc who all need minutes. 

Who are you replacing and improving? Perhaps our scouts can't find better players within our budget? 

We've signed enough squad fillers. We now need new players to replace those names above, I agree. But who. And at what cost?

The squad is enormous. 

I saw "they" won 7-0 last night and thought "so what they were playing nobodies"

Then I read in the papers that they did it without about 14 first team regulars and got a bit despondant as they seem to have quality in depth.

But as your post shows we also have quality in depth.

There's no point in making signings for the sake of it. If we can't find players who are, or could be better than the second group you list then, what's the point?

Obviously if any of the first group go they will have to be replaced with equaly good or better players.

But that hasn't happened yet.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It's literally not.

In terms of competetive domestic games and CL qualifiers I think it literally is.

They won't drop many points and we need CL group stages. The cups are must win or you're out, and although they don't carry the same importance as the league we want to win them.

So as I see it every game IS must win

11 hours ago, RoboBear said:

I saw "they" won 7-0 last night and thought "so what they were playing nobodies"

Then I read in the papers that they did it without about 14 first team regulars and got a bit despondant as they seem to have quality in depth.

But as your post shows we also have quality in depth.

There's no point in making signings for the sake of it. If we can't find players who are, or could be better than the second group you list then, what's the point?

Obviously if any of the first group go they will have to be replaced with equaly good or better players.

But that hasn't happened yet.

We have depth, not quality in depth. 

16 hours ago, RoboBear said:

In terms of competetive domestic games and CL qualifiers I think it literally is.

They won't drop many points and we need CL group stages. The cups are must win or you're out, and although they don't carry the same importance as the league we want to win them.

So as I see it every game IS must win

If we win 37 games we can lose the 38th and will literally and with certainty win the league.  

So whilst it's a cliche I tend to agree with on the whole, it's incorrect to state that literally every game is a must win game.

Realosrically, we have to outscore the scum overall v all the others, and then equal or beat the number of points the scum take off us. We will then win the league unless one of the other 10 teams puts in a level of consistency and performance unseen in decades.

And as always cups are of huge importance, as is Europe for several reasons, but the league is the be all and end all this season. 

So 3 new players signed, all internationals, and the spine of the team strengthened. To what extent will become clear soon on who out the 3 become starters.

Goldson on a new deal. Squad backups re-signed in 3 players who know the club and demands inside out, and who should be good enough for run of the mill games if required.

Get Kent and Alfie sorted, or sold for mega bucks. For me, another CF would be ideal. Couple in the squad that would ideally be moved on incl Simpson.

Decent recruitment window that, and should be enough to get us through CL qualifiers when hopefully more quality can be added.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So 3 new players signed, all internationals, and the spine of the team strengthened. To what extent will become clear soon on who out the 3 become starters.

Goldson on a new deal. Squad backups re-signed in 3 players who know the club and demands inside out, and who should be good enough for run of the mill games if required.

Get Kent and Alfie sorted, or sold for mega bucks. For me, another CF would be ideal. Couple in the squad that would ideally be moved on incl Simpson.

Decent recruitment window that, and should be enough to get us through CL qualifiers when hopefully more quality can be added.

And we haven't really spent any money yet on transfers as most of Colak's fee was covered by Itten's departure.

38 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

And we haven't really spent any money yet on transfers as most of Colak's fee was covered by Itten's departure.

👍

Folk seem desperate for us to spend money or be seen to be spending accumulated from last season. I'd rather we got the right players in, and with the new 3 plus Goldson I reckon we have.

We can't keep doing it for freebies or pennies as it restricts the options available.  But it shouldn't be seen as a negative to take time to get the right player as cheaply as possible.

Tough balancing act, I'm not surprised we're doing it as we are. Hopefully Aribo money gets reinvested and / or some of the CL money does when (🙏) we get through

7 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

👍

Folk seem desperate for us to spend money or be seen to be spending accumulated from last season. I'd rather we got the right players in, and with the new 3 plus Goldson I reckon we have.

We can't keep doing it for freebies or pennies as it restricts the options available.  But it shouldn't be seen as a negative to take time to get the right player as cheaply as possible.

Tough balancing act, I'm not surprised we're doing it as we are. Hopefully Aribo money gets reinvested and / or some of the CL money does when (🙏) we get through

It's like someone spending all their wages in one hit forgetting it has to last the month and also forgetting that Mum, Dad and a credit card had previously been keeping your head above water.

15 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's like someone spending all their wages in one hit forgetting it has to last the month and also forgetting that Mum, Dad and a credit card had previously been keeping your head above water.

Folk see them spending millions (guaranteed CL money) on players and become envious and raging that we aren't. Impatience is a large part of it too.

The fact that over 10m is spent on 2 of last season's players just to stand still seems to be overlooked due to the red mist.

We're still at the precarious stage, especially with Kent and Alfie not extending and little interest in them. But as it stands we're doing well with the players brought in for the money spent imo.

53 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Folk see them spending millions (guaranteed CL money) on players and become envious and raging that we aren't. Impatience is a large part of it too.

The fact that over 10m is spent on 2 of last season's players just to stand still seems to be overlooked due to the red mist.

We're still at the precarious stage, especially with Kent and Alfie not extending and little interest in them. But as it stands we're doing well with the players brought in for the money spent imo.

2 players now proven in this league with two medals in their pockets…

On 04/07/2022 at 14:04, Rangers Da 1872 said:

Look at our strongest 11

The squad is enormous. 

Baffling that we’ve decided to prioritise Davis, Arfield and McGregor. 

We have so much squad filler as it is. Lowry and McCann should have been able to step up and fill the bench role. If we can’t give them that shot when Davis is going to be 38 then when.

Arguably none of those 3 should have been retained.

38 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

2 players now proven in this league with two medals in their pockets…

Yup. 10m plus to keep 2 players who helped win them the league. No disputing that. But has it improved them or helped them stand still? They've spent 1/4 of their CL money this coming season to keep 2 of last seasons players. I'll take that.

And fwiw I'm far from impressed with the boy CCV, let's see how he gets on against Alfie over a season. 😏

15 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yup. 10m plus to keep 2 players who helped win them the league. No disputing that. But has it improved them or helped them stand still? They've spent 1/4 of their CL money this coming season to keep 2 of last seasons players. I'll take that.

And fwiw I'm far from impressed with the boy CCV, let's see how he gets on against Alfie over a season. 😏

We spent £7 million on a loan signing that never even won the league or actually even looked as close to being as good as Jota was for them last season, nobody/barely nobody on here or within the support was saying that was us standing still.

34 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Baffling that we’ve decided to prioritise Davis, Arfield and McGregor. 

We have so much squad filler as it is. Lowry and McCann should have been able to step up and fill the bench role. If we can’t give them that shot when Davis is going to be 38 then when.

Arguably none of those 3 should have been retained.

Totally agree with you there Rab. When we are chasing a game or seeing it out and Gio looks to his bench he is going to go for Davis or Arfield ahead of Lowry or McCann. i also have a horrible feeling McGregor is going to be number 1 again. It's frustrating because i'm sure we all want to see the kids get more game time, Lowry especially as he is so exciting. The keeper situation is a concern for me though. Huge concern in fact. 

3 signings this summer and still no RW. A position which 9 Rangers fans out of 10 would have said is the number 1 priority over the last 3 years! 

17 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We spent £7 million on a loan signing that never even won the league or actually even looked as close to being as good as Jota was for them last season, nobody/barely nobody on here or within the support was saying that was us standing still.

I think it’s more hypocrisy but they’ve spent a lot of money to have the same squad as last year, that is true.