Recruitment

21 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We spent £7 million on a loan signing that never even won the league or actually even looked as close to being as good as Jota was for them last season, nobody/barely nobody on here or within the support was saying that was us standing still.

Its not about how succesful they were or how poor our signings were.

To keep two of their apparent star performers from last season they've had to now pay 10m plus.

So for the same team including those two, they're 10m lighter in the pocket.

How is that not them standing still (ie same players) for a 10m additional cost this season?

With the addition of Lawrence, could we maybe move Kent to the right side? I know he switches occasionally during games, but not often. After all, he is right-footed and good with both feet.

Just trying to get the starting 11 in my head, especially if we get Fulgini.  

The team is looking strong. The main issue is these nagging injuries to the usual suspects.

The problem is the status quo doesn’t work for us and is fine for them. They won the league by 4 points and finished stronger. I think our best starting eleven is better. But their bench quality when somebody gets injured is far closer to their first team. They aren’t bringing on Davis and Arfield that’s for sure. 

We suffered so badly with injuries last season. 

So the onus is on us to improve and get 5-10 points more. We have to gamble on a few signings that can potentially be first team quality (even if they are free or lower cost). Rather than settle on Davis, Arfield and McGregor which we all know at their ages aren’t. They just aren’t 93+ points a season spl players anymore. 

39 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

The problem is the status quo doesn’t work for us and is fine for them. They won the league by 4 points and finished stronger. I think our best starting eleven is better. But their bench quality when somebody gets injured is far closer to their first team. They aren’t bringing on Davis and Arfield that’s for sure. 

We suffered so badly with injuries last season. 

So the onus is on us to improve and get 5-10 points more. We have to gamble on a few signings that can potentially be first team quality (even if they are free or lower cost). Rather than settle on Davis, Arfield and McGregor which we all know at their ages aren’t. They just aren’t 93+ points a season spl players anymore. 

I think we’ll finish on more points than we did last season. Had a howling period under Gerrard and then under Gio after the break. Points dropped at Ibrox were bordering on ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

Baffling that we’ve decided to prioritise Davis, Arfield and McGregor. 

We have so much squad filler as it is. Lowry and McCann should have been able to step up and fill the bench role. If we can’t give them that shot when Davis is going to be 38 then when.

Arguably none of those 3 should have been retained.

Rather than saying we prioritised those three, I would tend to look at it more from the angle that they were a lot easier to negotiate with, I would imagine all three would have seen their wages trimmed, clearly all three have been happy to accept, on the other hand Alfie & Kent are assests and obviously are looking for more money, maybe more than we can afford at this stage, if we can free up some deadwood wages, it surely isn't inconceivable that their is scope to throw 6 or 7k a week extra into their new deals

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Its not about how succesful they were or how poor our signings were.

To keep two of their apparent star performers from last season they've had to now pay 10m plus.

So for the same team including those two, they're 10m lighter in the pocket.

How is that not them standing still (ie same players) for a 10m additional cost this season?

I’m not saying they’re not standing still, I just find it funny after we waited months to do the same thing and nobody was caring about us standing still.

14 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I’m not saying they’re not standing still, I just find it funny after we waited months to do the same thing and nobody was caring about us standing still.

We were caring, we were delighted on the whole to get the deal done. We also knew it took the biggest wedge we'd been able to pay for a player in donks, it was hugely important. I guess we saw it as an investment given how little spare cash we had.

But to know you're getting 40m from CL and spend around a third of that on 2 players you had on loan the previous season is great for them. And for us. I'm delighted they've had to spend that money on the pair of them.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

Rather than saying we prioritised those three, I would tend to look at it more from the angle that they were a lot easier to negotiate with, I would imagine all three would have seen their wages trimmed, clearly all three have been happy to accept, on the other hand Alfie & Kent are assests and obviously are looking for more money, maybe more than we can afford at this stage, if we can free up some deadwood wages, it surely isn't inconceivable that their is scope to throw 6 or 7k a week extra into their new deals

Yeh I agree they’re going to be on reduced wages.

But just from a squad numbers view. We now have Sands, Hagi, Lowry, Mcann, Wright, Sakala as bench cover.

So add in Davis and Arfield. There’s no room to sign anyone on loan or take a punt. 

Would we be better off having gambled on 3 new free/loans/cheap deals and potentially getting a midfielder who can improve us and get us a few wins. Rather than just adding to the multitude of average squad players we have. 

I think we've done enough to get through the CL qualifier. How we perform in that will give an indication of how the play off round will go.

Also by that time the players whose future is currently unknown should be settled.

Time will tell, and things might change, but as it stands I think we might come up short in the CL play offs.

On 08/07/2022 at 20:15, ForeverAndEver said:

We spent £7 million on a loan signing that never even won the league or actually even looked as close to being as good as Jota was for them last season, nobody/barely nobody on here or within the support was saying that was us standing still.

If you are talking about Ramsey then we paid a loan fee of £2 million.

Last 3rd needing strengthened, players brought in to play in final 3rd; time will tell if they are quality but improvement on the position this time last week. Step in the right direction. 

Time to tie up contracts for Morelos and Kent or they need moved on this summer and replaced.