Colak

Just now, RobertN said:

Question is why the fuck did we go for him if he can't fit in our plans

Same question you can ask of the last couple of strikers we've signed. 

We've got a setup that's dependent on morelos strengths up top. 

Under 2 managers now we still expect other players to do what morelos does. 

5 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Don't want to make a thread bashing another player. But I've have noticed something regarding Colak. 

He's not a lone striker in my opinion. Quite simply put. 4-3-3 or 5-2-3 with 2 wides is not going to work with him.

Let's look at his stats:

Rijeka, 38 goals in 76 games. 

"Rijeka usually play with two forwards and then get the width from their wing-backs. On paper, their attacking formation will often look something like a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-1-2 with an attacking midfielder, two strikers and full-backs who serve as wing-backs and even wingers when in possession."

Source: https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/simon-rozman-rijeka-201920-tactical-analysis-tactics#:~:text=Rijeka usually play with two,even wingers when in possession.

PAOK: 3 goals in 25. 

Formations: 4-3-2-1 (22 games), 3-4-2-1 (8 games)

Source: https://www.footballcritic.com/paok/formations/1494/45922

Malmo: 22 goals in 41.

UCL formation: 3-5-2

Source: https://onefootball.com/en/news/ucl-stats-gallery-chelsea-vs-malmo-ff-xg-aerial-duels-and-more-33950119

Malmo v Rangers:

Screenshot_20220802-222724_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ed6edd321c3e8dd5acd9c72d49e05219.jpg

We've signed someone who flops up top on his own but excels in a 4-4-2 formation (or tactics with 2 up top). Either Gio changes his system once Morelos and/or Roofe are back fit or this guys career at us is as good as over already. 

Boyd in his prime was never a lone striker. He needed a Miller type to link up with. This is very similar in my opinion.

Either Gio had told Ross Wilson he'll change his system once our other strikers are back fit or this transfer is extremely poorly researched and makes no sense in regards to our formation for the last 4 seasons. 

He looks lost in the two games so far.

Never a lone striker and think we could score an awful lot of goals if we pair him with Alfie. 

Still early and i thought he looked a player just like many others. When you are not in the game you have got to get involved so drop a bit deeper and graft , Morelos even does it. The guy is lazy and expects the ball to come to him. Hopefully it changes but right now he looks another crap signing striker.

2 minutes ago, leam_baw said:

He couldn’t get a game for an average Greek side. Not saying he is woeful, but he was signed as a back up striker 

You can blame a system for that. If he doesn't fit the formation or tactics then it'll end poorly. Better players than him have flopped due to this. Look at Lukaku in Tuchels Chelsea for example. 

But for us to then sign him in to a similar formation, after watching him do well in a 2, and expecting something different to happen is inexcusable.

We signed him to be an option off the bench if we need a goal IMO 

Perhaps we didn’t expect Alfie to be out so long or we thought we wouldn’t be able to get Alfie to sign a new contract if we signed an identical player to him, I don’t know 

Just now, sco22y said:

Never a lone striker and think we could score an awful lot of goals if we pair him with Alfie. 

Requires a total reshuffle from our current tactics. Also not sure what we do with all our wingers plus Tav/Yilmaz if we have 2 up top.

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Still early and i thought he looked a player just like many others. When you are not in the game you have got to get involved so drop a bit deeper and graft , Morelos even does it. The guy is lazy and expects the ball to come to him. Hopefully it changes but right now he looks another crap signing striker.

The one time he dropped in and got the ball played in to him he actually had a really nice 1-2 with Scott Wright who almost went in on goal, it’s crazy we didn’t try that more often 

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

It’s no the boys fault he got no service.

would van nistelrooy have done better with the same service?

Absolutely agree. I just find it strange that he's basically proven in a 4-4-2, done shit in 1 up top. Yet we went for him and expected something different?

He legit got no service, that's immediately playing a striker wrong. 

With Morelos we expect so much more because we know him as a player, but yeah Gio needs to look at our style/formation when Colak plays because he rarely even touches the ball. 

1 minute ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Absolutely agree. I just find it strange that he's basically proven in a 4-4-2, done shit in 1 up top. Yet we went for him and expected something different?

I agree way you mate if it’s not his strength then the same way as itten how is it their fault?

pretty gutted the night tbh 

No sure he's a great signing but think it's a bit early writing him off. Technically scored in his last two games against spurs and Livingston which was wrongly chopped off. 

Even with Morelos dropping short and running channels tonight, not sure he woulda done too much with passive sideways play.