Square baw Rangers

KeyserSoze

Does anyone actually think that GVB and his team have set us up to play square baw football?

I’m not so sure you know- his recent acquisitions feel like he likes to attack quick up the sides with a target man. I know we are missing key players but I can’t believe he’s setting us up ultra cautiously and scared to do something dangerous/take a chance 

Therefore I can only assume the players seem to forget the game plan pretty quickly and knock it about at a snail’s pace and sideways. 

two competitive games in and only the second half at Livi was only half decent. 

I’m confused as to what’s our style now. 

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Does anyone actually think that GVB and his team have set us up to play square baw football?

I’m not so sure you know- his recent acquisitions feel like he likes to attack quick up the sides with a target man. I know we are missing key players but I can’t believe he’s setting us up ultra cautiously and scared to do something dangerous/take a chance 

Therefore I can only assume the players seem to forget the game plan pretty quickly and knock it about at a snail’s pace and sideways. 

two competitive games in and only the second half at Livi was only half decent. 

I’m confused as to what’s our style now. 

The square balls and sideways passing have been a problem since Gerrard, GVB didn't help last night mind you by playing Kamara and Jack as a 2, Jack didn't look fit and Kamara has proven time and time again he needs to be in a 3 man midfield or not play at all.

The forward line where poor last night but we could have had any front 3 in the world and they would have struggled, one passage of play in the 2nd half we worked it well to there box with Matondo in about 10 yards of space on the right Kamara just needs to slip him in, instead he turns and passes it backwards giving USG a chance to get back into shape, that surely can't be coming from the coach.

We've proved over the last two seasons we're at our best when we play with a high tempo and press and attack teams. If we choose to play safe and defensively we fail, demonstrated by last night.

We need to play a 4-2-3-1 for every game, the only difference with harder teams is drop the two wingers and fullbacks a bit deeper to support rather than attack.

You can't add a midfielder to a back 4, have 2 defensive midfielders in the middle, and expect anything other than problems against teams not wanting possession, sitting in banks of 4 or 5, and looking to hit on the counter.

We were far too conservative in possession last night. Gio set the game up for 0-0 or 1-0.

But also, the high press was clearly missing last night. Their defence was never under pressure and we were always chasing the game. Kent & Morelos' high press doesn't get enough credit.

Tillman has to play inside. Sticking him out wide is a waste. We had absolutely nothing on the left side which contributed to Barisic having a nightmare.

Sands only knew how to pass to the right, either to Goldson or Tav. There was no balance in the team.

This three at the back needs binned, it's ok changing in game when we need something to happen, I can't believe he went that way last night, obviously the players let him down trying to implement it but all the more reason to go with what's natural to them in an important game, there's a time and a place for it and last night wasn't it.

4 hours ago, theiconicman said:

We've proved over the last two seasons we're at our best when we play with a high tempo and press and attack teams. If we choose to play safe and defensively we fail, demonstrated by last night.

We need to play a 4-2-3-1 for every game, the only difference with harder teams is drop the two wingers and fullbacks a bit deeper to support rather than attack.

Showed way too much respect, I mean 2 months ago we were in the Europa cup final and we play that cautiously away to a team most people haven’t heard of.

On 03/08/2022 at 18:39, Bydo said:

This picture makes me rage.

A2D21588-025D-4B88-A300-BD7D7C880546.jpeg

This has defined us domestically ever since returning to the top flight, barring most of the 55 season. Limited midfielders hoping Tav can come up with something. 

I think Gio has got pass marks so far, but i’m not convinced he’s impressed a clear style of play or philosophy on the team, or if he even has one.