Gifting a goal POLL

spanther22

Was it the right thing to do  

410 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have gifted them a goal?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/02/23 at 22:47

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I actually forgot it was a throw in.

So we are claiming they took a throw in and their defender needed 3 touches to give the ball back to us? Aye no bother 

Watch it back. His first touch is terrible. He takes a 2nd to knock it in front of him and the 3rd (in my opinion anyway) would have been to punt it back to us. 

Just now, Redemption80 said:

I agree, but things in this country get spun to suit a narrative. This likely gets “validated” by international condemnation.

Malik didn’t know, but would have still been portrayed as the bad guy.

At the stadium I thought it was wrong what Malik done but then I heard MB explain that he never knew we put it out and then it made sense. Watching it back you see Malik not know and done the right thing stealing the ball after their daft defender took 3 bad touches. That’s was ruthless by Malik and we need more of it.

2 minutes ago, LaaRFC said:

Watch it back. His first touch is terrible. He takes a 2nd to knock it in front of him and the 3rd (in my opinion anyway) would have been to punt it back to us. 

:lol:

Im not even a footballer and I am pretty sure I can in 2 touches launch a ball to nowhere 

2 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Kanu did it for Arsenal a long time ago, the outrage was so much they voided the result and replayed the match.

It never happens because it's a really fucked up thing for anyone to do and it's a commonly agreed thing that if you put the ball out the other team gives you it back uncontested.

This is NOT the same. 

When the team who is expected to return the ball to the team who had possession before it was played out, do not return the ball, then it is bad form. 

in this case Partick were supposed to return it to us but instead Tillman wins possession fairly. It’s different and completely unique. 

2 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

At the stadium I thought it was wrong what Malik done but then I heard MB explain that he never knew we put it out and then it made sense. Watching it back you see Malik not know and done the right thing stealing the ball after their daft defender took 3 bad touches. That’s was ruthless by Malik and we need more of it.

100%, even if i ignored how great he was, it still wasn’t his fault.

I also have zero faith he wouldn’t be framed as the villain though.

I was fuming at the time but having calmed down (and with the hindsight of knowing we won) overall is probably the right decision - although wouldn’t have had an issue if we had decided not to.

If we had better placed ex players in the media we really should be using it to labour the point why is it only us that are being asked to show good sportsmanship but it is OK for teams to use every dirty trick they can get away with and try and put some pressure on the refs to clamp down on the time wasting and constant niggling fouls (although we probably need to start with the clear and obvious ones like the stamp on Tillman).

Just now, LaaRFC said:

True, but even the best footballer in the world is capable of taking a poor first touch. 

Mate, it was ludicrous and I hope we don’t make a habit of such nonsense 

Their penalty was nonsense and all. That should have been 3-0 today, arguably 4-0 because they had a player in the box as Tav hit his penalty.

Sportsmanship my arse

5 hours ago, siamthedanger said:

Some of the comments about our manger on the match thread were embarrassing. Was the right thing to do. 

Our match threads are definitely the place to go for embarrassing comments, when viewed with the benefit of hindsight they are horrendous 😂

Just now, .Williamson. said:

Mate, it was ludicrous and I hope we don’t make a habit of such nonsense 

Their penalty was nonsense and all. That should have been 3-0 today, arguably 4-0 because they had a player in the box as Tav hit his penalty.

Sportsmanship my arse

I just don’t think the idea that it was going to take him 3 touches to return the ball to us is as far fetched as your making out. 

But we’ll never actually know the guys intentions and it doesn’t look like we’ll agree   and it’s such a unique set of circumstances I doubt we’ll see something similar again. 

Just now, LaaRFC said:

True, but even the best footballer in the world is capable of taking a poor first touch. 

Like when players lay a throwin back to the taker and put it out from 5 yards away. Folk that think that that kind of miscontrol isn't possible haven't been watching enough Scottish football. 

It should be obvious to anyone that watches football that the guy was juggling the ball with inept technique, and that's why he took a few touches, but that his intent was to launch it. 

5 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

This is NOT the same. 

When the team who is expected to return the ball to the team who had possession before it was played out, do not return the ball, then it is bad form. 

in this case Partick were supposed to return it to us but instead Tillman wins possession fairly. It’s different and completely unique. 

But they didn't get the chance to return it because Malik nipped in having seen the bad control. Our gaffer hinted at this, that Malik had seen the opportunity to press (having spotted the miscontrol) and did as he was trained to.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Like when players lay a throwin back to the taker and put it out from 5 yards away. Folk that think that that kind of miscontrol isn't possible haven't been watching enough Scottish football. 

It should be obvious to anyone that watches football that the guy was juggling the ball with inept technique, and that's why he took a few touches, but that his intent was to launch it. 

We’re as guilty as anyone for that 😅