This mythical “gap”

4 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

I've told you the stats. Per 90 minutes and not counting penalties only Bruce Anderson has outscored Morelos in the last 5 years outwith the Old Firm. 

He's a 12 goal a season man in the SPFL who has three goals in six years against our main opponent and goes months sometimes without scoring he's not good enough.

Did the stats not tell you that.

Do you think we should give him a new contract?

1 hour ago, Bears r us said:

You might be right, but how did Chelsea spend so much in the last window?

It always seems these rules only penalize clubs with little money, not the ones with loads.  

Chelsea gave their players 7-8 year contracts to spread the payments over, but they'll need to start selling a lot otherwise they'll get in real trouble.

But yeah, FFP does hinder clubs with less money investing.

1 hour ago, Jamie0202 said:

Don't know what this means. The poster I was replying to suggested that we sign one of these SPL jobbers who regularly outscore Morelos. Would you have been happy if we signed Bruce Anderson in January? 😂

He was suggesting we need a striker that scores more than 12 league goals a season and there are several other SPFL strikers that do.

It doesn't matter if they score that in 300 minutes or 3,000 minutes.

15 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

He was suggesting we need a striker that scores more than 12 league goals a season and there are several other SPFL strikers that do.

It doesn't matter if they score that in 300 minutes or 3,000 minutes.

😂 😂 😂 Of course it does. 

5 hours ago, bluenoz said:

If we are having a major overhaul, do we continue with Tav at RB and captain? 

This isn't a negative on Tav. He has been a great servant to the club. But even Gough stated today that his lack of trophies will define his legacy. Gough won 18, and Tav has won 2.

It's a difficult one with Tav. 100 goals or 2 trophies?

Captain no. Player absolutely. You can have good players in bad teams. You could put Messi in Livingstons team. They wouldn’t win the league but it wouldn’t be a reflection on Messi’s ability. 

Don’t think we should have given him a 4 year deal though. I’d imagine he will run out of steam in 2 seasons

40 minutes ago, Smile said:

He's a 12 goal a season man in the SPFL who has three goals in six years against our main opponent and goes months sometimes without scoring he's not good enough.

Did the stats not tell you that.

Do you think we should give him a new contract?

Not the point you were making. You were suggesting that we buy an SPL jobber in January. There's not a single one good enough and only one of them has had better scoring stats than Morelos (not counting penalties) and that was only in 1 season out of 5.

FWIW I'm on the fence about a new contract. It was only a year ago that Morelos was bullying some of the best defenders in Europe but clearly he hasn't returned from his bad injury playing at the same levels and I'm not sure if he ever will. Beale sees him every day and if he thinks he can get Alfie back to the level we know he's capable of then he should get a new contract. If not then he gets replaced. Not by an SPL jobber though. 

22 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

😂 😂 😂 Of course it does. 

So Morelos not being available for a quarter of the season every year is a positive?

Strange way to look at it. 

I'd rather have someone available for 38 games and scoring 20+ goals than someone available for 26 and scoring 12 who has a better "minutes per goal" ratio.

Countless players have outscored Morelos every season he's been here.

19 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Not the point you were making. You were suggesting that we buy an SPL jobber in January. There's not a single one good enough and only one of them has had better scoring stats than Morelos (not counting penalties) and that was only in 1 season out of 5.

FWIW I'm on the fence about a new contract. It was only a year ago that Morelos was bullying some of the best defenders in Europe but clearly he hasn't returned from his bad injury playing at the same levels and I'm not sure if he ever will. Beale sees him every day and if he thinks he can get Alfie back to the level we know he's capable of then he should get a new contract. If not then he gets replaced. Not by an SPL jobber though. 

Yet how many jobbers have finished on more goals than him year after year in the SPFL when was the one time he finished top goal scorer in the SPFL It was so long ago I'm struggling to remember.

one SPFL jobber has the same amount of goals in one game against the filth than he has in six years.

At least you are honest in you views that you wouldn't mind him having a new contract.

1 hour ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Chelsea gave their players 7-8 year contracts to spread the payments over, but they'll need to start selling a lot otherwise they'll get in real trouble.

I did read that right enough.

Strange how they get around the rules, having loads of money certainly helps.  

Imagine we had some of our squad on 7 or 8 year contracts 🤣🤣

This place would be in meltdown.

So Morelos not being available for a quarter of the season every year is a positive?

Strange way to look at it. 

I'd rather have someone available for 38 games and scoring 20+ goals than someone available for 26 and scoring 12 who has a better "minutes per goal" ratio.

Countless players have outscored Morelos every season he's been here.

Check your maths again. Your 38 game man has the better goal ratio. 

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Yet how many jobbers have finished on more goals than him year after year in the SPFL when was the one time he finished top goal scorer in the SPFL It was so long ago I'm struggling to remember.

one SPFL jobber has the same amount of goals in one game against the filth than he has in six years.

At least you are honest in you views that you wouldn't mind him having a new contract.

Errr. Without penalties no player outwith the OF has scored more goals in the league than Morelos since Kris Boyd for Kilmarnock in the 2017/18 season.

If you want to include penalties (which is stupid because any striker we bring in won't be the penalty taker as long as Tav is in the team) there are only 2 players that have outscored Alfie in the league since Boyd. Those are Kevin Nisbet who scored 2 more goals than Alfie in the 2020/21 season and Regan Charles Cooke who scored jjst a single goal more than Alfie last season, however he started 11 more games due to Gio running Alfie in to the ground and getting injured. 

6 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Errr. Without penalties no player outwith the OF has scored more goals in the league than Morelos since Kris Boyd for Kilmarnock in the 2017/18 season.

If you want to include penalties (which is stupid because any striker we bring in won't be the penalty taker as long as Tav is in the team) there are only 2 players that have outscored Alfie in the league since Boyd. Those are Kevin Nisbet who scored 2 more goals than Alfie in the 2020/21 season and Regan Charles Cooke who scored jjst a single goal more than Alfie last season, however he started 11 more games due to Gio running Alfie in to the ground and getting injured. 

Gio is the reason Morelos actually looked half decent last season.

6 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Penalties are not goals though I get your point if they were  but they still have to be scored, Why does Morelos not take penalties at us and try and answer this honestly?

Why does most SPFL jobbers score more than him every season. in weaker teams who create less chances?

Gio, never ran him into the ground he actually lifted him up when he was failing once again no point re-writing history.

Morelos problem is he always scores in wee spurts then wont score for a month not good for a striker wanting to be first pick even just now I think he has 3 goals in 11 games he also not done well against our main challenger for the league.

15 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

In fairness, there’s a fair few who can’t see past players that have continually let us down. By holding onto guys who can’t win the league, they are doing just that. 

That's the problem and a main one at that you see any match thread and the same players who fail against them are going to be picked regardless as they are the posters favourites even when the let us down in games against them.

It's like groundhog day we do the same thing over and over and expect to win.

2 hours ago, Smile said:

Penalties are not goals though I get your point if they were  but they still have to be scored, Why does Morelos not take penalties at us and try and answer this honestly?

Why does most SPFL jobbers score more than him every season. in weaker teams who create less chances?

Gio, never ran him into the ground he actually lifted him up when he was failing once again no point re-writing history.

Morelos problem is he always scores in wee spurts then wont score for a month not good for a striker wanting to be first pick even just now I think he has 3 goals in 11 games he also not done well against our main challenger for the league.

Tavernier is the penalty taker. Simple as that. We've had clinical strikers on the pitch at the same time as Tavernier (Defoe, Roofe, Colak etc) and still Tav is the main penalty taker.

Most SPL jobbers don't score more than Morelos every season. I've demonstrated that in at least 2 posts now. Not sure why you're choosing to not understand that. Maybe that's why you want us to sign one of them which was your main point that you're trying your best to gloss over. No wonder though 😂

29 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Tavernier is the penalty taker. Simple as that. We've had clinical strikers on the pitch at the same time as Tavernier (Defoe, Roofe, Colak etc) and still Tav is the main penalty taker.

Most SPL jobbers don't score more than Morelos every season. I've demonstrated that in at least 2 posts now. Not sure why you're choosing to not understand that. Maybe that's why you want us to sign one of them which was your main point that you're trying your best to gloss over. No wonder though 😂

You are not being at all honest here we have all seen Morelos take a penalty that's the reason he does not take them. He get outscored every year by average players at weaker teams penalties or not that the truth of it.

We are not going to agree here as we obviously view the player differently, but you seem a decent poster so I will respect your opinion just maybe not agree with it.

19 minutes ago, Smile said:

You are not being at all honest here we have all seen Morelos take a penalty that's the reason he does not take them. He get outscored every year by average players at weaker teams penalties or not that the truth of it.

We are not going to agree here as we obviously view the player differently, but you seem a decent poster so I will respect your opinion just maybe not agree with it.

He’s hit two for us, scored one and missed one, the one he scored was a good pk the one he missed well we all know about that.

so no having seen him hit a pk is not why he doesn’t hit them.

he doesn’t hit them for the same reason that Defoe and Roofe don’t, because tavernier is our penalty taker 

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

He’s hit two for us, scored one and missed one, the one he scored was a good pk the one he missed well we all know about that.

he doesn’t hit them for the same reason that Defoe and Roofe don’t, because tavernier is our penalty taker 

And our corner taker and our free kick taker and our thrower inner 

I sometimes wish we’d try someone different now and again especially the corners. Although tbf there has been a change in throw ins and he is decent at a free kick. But stil

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

And our corner taker and our free kick taker and our thrower inner 

I sometimes wish we’d try someone different now and again especially the corners. Although tbf there has been a change in throw ins and he is decent at a free kick. But stil

Full backs always take the throw ins, him and barasic are our best dead ball takers so that’s why they hit the corners and free kicks 

4 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Full backs always take the throw ins, him and barasic are our best dead ball takers so that’s why they hit the corners and free kicks 

Our corners are terrible and Barasic hasn’t hit a decent free kick in ages 

I still think we should mix it up. Watch Tillman at a corner he often goes over to take a quick one but ultimately leaving it to Tav or Barasic to plod over. 
Be good to see what others offer that’s all

1 hour ago, RFC55 said:

He’s scored 2 and missed 3 in his career.

Doesn’t have the composure to take them IMO. Bizarre to say it about our record European goalscorer, but he’s not a very composed finisher. 

2 hours ago, RFC55 said:

Seriously, he doesn't take them as no one would trust him too.

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Our corners are terrible and Barasic hasn’t hit a decent free kick in ages 

I still think we should mix it up. Watch Tillman at a corner he often goes over to take a quick one but ultimately leaving it to Tav or Barasic to plod over. 
Be good to see what others offer that’s all

Same with throw ins it does my nut in.