General Transfer Talk

Broxi

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

If we want a player that’s only effective in the last 10 mins of games then he’s fine.

Scored a double vs Aberdeen, started the next game and was as bad a performance as I’ve seen from a Rangers player this season.

No idea what his salary is, but surely we can get more value elsewhere?

I get that but those goals will need replacing regardless if they are from the subs bench....in truth he is the only one I have faith in nicking a goal from the likes of Matondo,Wright & Hagi 

2 hours ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Champions League was worth an extra £3mbthis year according to Robertson. Winning trophies is the main goal.

Isn’t that opposed to getting to the final of the Europa League though?

22 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Yes it is. Hence numerous professional football mangers have played Wright when they had Lowry available.

These managers have all lost their jobs though at us and at Villa, bar Beale.

34 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

That would be the youths who are 7 points behind the Spartans in the lowland league?

Maybe we should be scouting teams like Stranraer and Elgin for a new right-winger while we are at it.

We’ve got young players going up against fully grown adults. We still blow most teams away, but some of the outfits in that league are a big step up from youth football.

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Most of our young players will struggle to go on to make it as professionals never mind being good enough to make it at Rangers.

The idea that you could replace Arfield or Wright with some of these kids and not suffer as a squad is just silly.

Hopefully Lowry and King can go on to carve out a space in the squad for themselves, but realistically our best youth prospects outside of them are probably at the stage they could push for places at a Killie or Motherwell level club. They are miles away from pushing for a starting place with us. They are way behind the likes of Arfield in terms of ability.

I can see that pint of view about youth players. But I’m not totally convinced by that argument either.  Arfield for me has never been that technically gifted. He’s great at making those goal scoring runs obviously, but his general technique, ball control, passing etc are just average for me. I’d say Lowry is already technically better than him.  I like Arfield and can see why there is a lot of sentiment for him to stay, but if we want youth players like Lowry to make it with us, we have to give them the opportunity. For me due to his age, we should be thanking Arfield for his excellent service and letting him go, then say to Lowry, that Arfields position is now his, go and earn the right to be on the field every week.  

And you could argue the same for Wright who isn’t that old to be fair, but has been just a bit player in our team. I’d be  happy keep him as a squad player at moment. But also I can see merit in letting him go and saying to a youth player, that’s your position to fill  and letting whoever that would be to get those opportunities. 

I’ve always felt that allowing youth players games with our first team can bring them on more when surrounded by better players, rather than being farmed out to Scotlands lower divisions. Yeh it might toughen them up and gives them regular games, but it may also drag them down to their levels too.

jack is another one, for the games he’s been available to play this past couple of seasons, we might have just as well thrown in a youth player. Injury wise, Jack has become a bit part player and it’s not going to get any better for him. So why not give the lad Williamson who’s on loan to Dundee, or McKinnion (on loan at Thistle) those opportunities now rather than re-sign Jack.

Playing alongside Raskin, Tillman, Cantwell and Lawrence they might just excel and surprise us

And it may help with the homegrown quota’s as well. 

6 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

I can see that pint of view about youth players. But I’m not totally convinced by that argument either.  Arfield for me has never been that technically gifted. He’s great at making those goal scoring runs obviously, but his general technique, ball control, passing etc are just average for me. I’d say Lowry is already technically better than him.  I like Arfield and can see why there is a lot of sentiment for him to stay, but if we want youth players like Lowry to make it with us, we have to give them the opportunity. For me due to his age, we should be thanking Arfield for his excellent service and letting him go, then say to Lowry, that Arfields position is now his, go and earn the right to be on the field every week.  

And you could argue the same for Wright who isn’t that old to be fair, but has been just a bit player in our team. I’d be  happy keep him as a squad player at moment. But also I can see merit in letting him go and saying to a youth player, that’s your position to fill  and letting whoever that would be to get those opportunities. 

I’ve always felt that allowing youth players games with our first team can bring them on more when surrounded by better players, rather than being farmed out to Scotlands lower divisions. Yeh it might toughen them up and gives them regular games, but it may also drag them down to their levels too.

jack is another one, for the games he’s been available to play this past couple of seasons, we might have just as well thrown in a youth player. Injury wise, Jack has become a bit part player and it’s not going to get any better for him. So why not give the lad Williamson who’s on loan to Dundee, or McKinnion (on loan at Thistle) those opportunities now rather than re-sign Jack.

Playing alongside Raskin, Tillman, Cantwell and Lawrence they might just excel and surprise us

And it may help with the homegrown quota’s as well. 

Lowry has impressed in some form pretty much every game ive seen him play. Unique to other young players that have came through our system.

With him, if you believe what you read its attitude, injury and of course sad personal stuff thats held him back.

I think all the OOC players will go. And If Beale can get in 4 players of the same quality as Raskin, Cantwell and Tillman then I think  we won’t even miss those OOC players other than for sentimental reasons. 

I still think we may sell a few too. Kamara probably and then maybe Lundstrum and even Borna.  Perhaps just to balance the books a bit or fund some of the 4 or 5 he’s mentioned he wants in.

To be honest with the league gone and only living in hope for SC trophy,  I’m looking forward to the close season to see the changes he makes. It’s only thing exciting at moment.

30 minutes ago, Albertz85 said:

Lowry has impressed in some form pretty much every game ive seen him play. Unique to other young players that have came through our system.

With him, if you believe what you read its attitude, injury and of course sad personal stuff thats held him back.

Yeh. I really believe if Lowry doesn’t make it (with us or at a similar or higher standard in his career) it won’t be because of natural ability. He just has those things (spatial awareness, peripheral vision, technique etc) that more limited players like Arfield will never have that can take him to a higher level.

He has the hard bits but will need to work on attitude, physicality etc. be lucky with injuries etc

58 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Are we still interested in Morgan Whittaker?

He never starts for Swansea since he returned from his loan spell. That doesn't sound too good, but then again, Standard stopped playing Raskin once he wanted away, so you never know.

4 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

It’s just quite sad that we still have to carry guys like Arfield. Bench should be for guys who are competing for a first team place, signings with potential-cheap hit/miss type, loan with option to buy and young players like Lowry coming through. You sort of want a mix of those 4.

There’s not a world where we should be relying on a 35yr old Arfield when we already have Lawrence, Lowry and Hagi not playing at the moment for that role.

Especially when Beale doesn’t seem to want to play him. He’s played 50 minutes in our last 10 league matches. And only going to be less when Lawrence is back and Lowry playing more

Would prefer we let him leave and took a punt on a youngster that the scouting team have identified. Given he’s going to be 3rd choice for the position it’s not costly if it doesn’t work out

Arfield is one of only 3 outfield players who are association trained. With McGregor rumoured to be away we have no club trained players with first team experience.

It means that unless we have two Scottish goalkeepers we have to pick 15 senior players from the 1st team squad for Europe

We can have as many u21s as we want so the likes of Deviene, King and Lowry for example are not counted.

Keeping Arfield on a reduced contract makes sense

3 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Arfield is one of only 3 outfield players who are association trained. With McGregor rumoured to be away we have no club trained players with first team experience.

It means that unless we have two Scottish goalkeepers we have to pick 15 senior players from the 1st team squad for Europe

We can have as many u21s as we want so the likes of Deviene, King and Lowry for example are not counted.

Yep. But what a rubbish and uninspiring reason to sign someone. Because we fucked up not bagging any of the last good 5-6 Scottish players that have left the league. 

18 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Our lack of focus on producing our own talent has been our major failing ever since 2008 to be honest.

Granted our ownership was questionable for a long period and we were focussed firstly on getting back to the top flight and then on 55 once we were back up, but outside of Patterson and Gilmour we really haven’t produced anyone of note.

It’s a really tricky one as the right moves (in terms of academy) now might not been seen for 5 years by the time players move through the youth and B Team structure, but in my opinion we really need to start making more space for academy players getting meaningful game time for the first team. The only players that have really had a chance this year are King and Devine and both of them were really emergency cover because of injuries.

As you say if we don’t start making meaningful strides in having academy players being part of the first team squad we are going to be seriously hampered in terms of who we can register for Europe. It also has longer term financial implications to, granted a Barry Ferguson generational talent is a once in a blue moon, but we could save so much on squad players if we were using our academy to bulk up the squad / be periphery starters rather than spending money on fees and bosmans which would allow us to focus our resources on bringing in a higher quality of signing.

3 hours ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

would think Dykes is just lazy journalism. With his history and Beale's.

Sounds to me like Beale has a pretty exciting striker from Champiosnhip or somewhere up his sleeve, clos eto being done. Hope so anyway, Dykes would be a squad option, but is absolutely not the goalscorer and mobile type of player we need to lead the line.

I think it’s Cameron Archer (if Boro don’t go up). 

We were linked with him under Gerrard, Beale will have come up against him in the EFL, probably knows him from premier league u21s games as well back in the day. 

2 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Kouamé? Fuck spending £7m on him.

tumblr_inline_mo1zd18HyZ1qz4rgp540.gif

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Better no be Christian Kouamé.  ffs

Lets be completely honest here, neither of you have seen him play.