General Transfer Talk

Broxi

5 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Didn’t Louis Moult score a load for Well one year?

He was still shite.

Motherwell love a striker from England who scores loads of goals one season and then they vanish - Higdon, Moult, Devante Cole, Van Veen. Guaranteed that when Van Veen moves on they will pluck some guy from Cambridge Utd who will do it again :lol:

I like Nisbet, I think he'd score 25+ a season with us no problem, he looks so much better than he did before he got injured, faster, leaner, fitter, looks like he's put on a bit of muscle too and he brings others into play, his link up looks like it's really improved too.

Would I be happy if he replaced Buff? Mah I'm looking for someone to really excite the fans but I think he's better than Colak and would be happy enough for him to come in as a back up, If we genuinely wanted him after 55 then there's probably a good chance Michael Beale will still rate him too.

17 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I’m going to try see the stats I seen published about duk think it was around January maybe February and bar the goals they made for pretty shite reading,  if he didn’t have as many goals then not one person going by the stats would want him.

he’s a strange one though as he seems to be doing well on raw numbers ie goals and assists but the things he would  need to succeed at us or the nippy rippers doesn’t seem to be there. I’m sure at the time out of all the forwards in the league he was one of the worst for ball retention etc, I think I seen it on FF, it wasn’t just about him btw it was stats for the players in the league 

Ball retention and passing accuracy are strange ones. On one hand being low on those stats could mean the player is shite but on the other hand it could mean that they actually try something different and while it may not always come off, the times that it does there are chances created or goals scored. Is the guy with great ball retention always doing the safe low risk things in the game that a lot of people complain about with certain members of our squad? 

There was a game last month that someone made a comment in the match thread that Raskin's passing accuracy must have been ridiculously high. When you checked the stats Lundstram was actually higher. Of course he was because he often plays the safe pass backwards or sideways 😂.

Not saying that makes Duk a good or bad player. Just saying that having certain low stats may not always paint a true picture. 

49 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

Why take Duk over Van Veen. What's the difference?

You need to remove Van Veen’s penalty stats.

17 goals and only 1 assist in all comps in 40 games. And worse last year.

It’s not bad but it’s not shoot the lights out good that we should be signing him. Especially given he is about to turn 32.

Duk has 18 goals and 6 assists (often playing out wide) and on the other hand is improving rapidly. Has potential to be a sellable asset and at times looked like he can make the step up (see some of the goals he’s scored have been class).

Duk might be shite but also might be class, whilst van veen we know will be bang average. 

13 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I like Nisbet, I think he'd score 25+ a season with us no problem, he looks so much better than he did before he got injured, faster, leaner, fitter, looks like he's put on a bit of muscle too and he brings others into play, his link up looks like it's really improved too.

Would I be happy if he replaced Buff? Mah I'm looking for someone to really excite the fans but I think he's better than Colak and would be happy enough for him to come in as a back up, If we genuinely wanted him after 55 then there's probably a good chance Michael Beale will still rate him too.

His failed medical and his love for the beasts means I would not have him anywhere near us.

Clarkson is the only other one I’d like us to look at alongside Duk. 5 goals and 7 assists in only 32 appearances. 21 on loan from Liverpool. Would be an ideal candidate for a loan with option to buy deal.

Would fit in great to our midfield. CM with a bit of creativity 

Beale:

“I was in co-charge when Ross was here and it’s not just Ross or myself who decides. It’s a committee and we recommend players. The finances have to go in front of the board because we work under a budget. The idea that it’s just down to one person is far-fetched.

“It’s about a group of people coming together. Do we always get our first choices? No, because I’d like to get Mason Mount from Chelsea. I’ve worked with him and I like him. But we always have to take an element of risk. Sometimes we have to get a broken child. Sometimes we get a player before he’s flourished and we help them do that.

“You see an opportunity to bring a player here and ask, would he fit? No manager in Scotland gets to buy the finished article.

“That’s why this country has produced fantastic managers because you’ve got to make the most of a small outlay.

“We have to be realistic. Is the next Brazilian golden child coming to Scotland to play for Rangers when there’s lots of other places he could go? We have to recruit in the right areas. We have to know what has worked in the past.

“Recruitment is something I love to do. Even when I was at Chelsea, I was recruiting for the academy. At Liverpool, I was involved and here before. I’ve just come through a summer window at QPR where I had to work with very little and make the most of it. I’ve come out of a window here where the two players we’ve signed (Todd Cantwell and Nico Raskin) everyone is really positive on.

“I want to have a big influence on the players I coach every day. If I’m going to be judged on the outcome, I want to at least be a huge part of the conversation about which players come in.

“With the ideas I have in my head for Rangers and where I want to take the team, I articulate that
outwards and I’m part of that recruitment

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

No manager in Scotland gets to buy the finished article.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Sometimes we get a player before he’s flourished and we help them do that.

See enough evidence of paragraph 2 type projects. But surely to fuck there's enough players out there good enough for us and at the peak of their careers who we could afford?

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

See enough evidence of paragraph 2 type projects. But surely to fuck there's enough players out there good enough for us and at the peak of their careers who we could afford?

We will mate tbh the 2 he’s brought in, in cantwell and raskin look the part, we are linked with the Swansea striker again (don’t know how we would afford him though) who has a brilliant record in the championship.

we will sign boys who although technically a project are more than good enough/ready for up here 

22 minutes ago, Smile said:

His failed medical and his love for the beasts means I would not have him anywhere near us.

Did he fail his medical at Millwall? It sounded like he changed his mind, you'd think Millwall would say that's what happened rather than let their fans think someone went down there and fucked them about then told them to ram it.

I'm no overly fussed who he supported tbh, I draw the line at signing players who played for them but in Scotland the chances are you'll either be us or them, I always felt Neil McCann gave us that wee bit extra because he supported them growing up.

1 minute ago, NixonRFC said:

Did he fail his medical at Millwall? It sounded like he changed his mind, you'd think Millwall would say that's what happened rather than let their fans think someone went down there and fucked them about then told them to ram it.

I'm no overly fussed who he supported tbh, I draw the line at signing players who played for them but in Scotland the chances are you'll either be us or them, I always felt Neil McCann gave us that wee bit extra because he supported them growing up.

He changed his mind on maybe double or tripling his wages. I would not go near one of their supporters there's a completely different level of hatred now from filth that support them from McCanns days.

3 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Unlike O’Halloran…

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It's about levels and where we want to compete. 

His line about Mason Mount is a bit silly on Beale's part as we all know that we're never going to get a player of his level and calibre at the peak of his career. 

What we should be able to attract (i would think), would be a level of player below the very elite, and absolutely a finished article (but not in the 'finished' category like Ramsay).

I get his point about taking young players with potential and helping them realise it (like Raskin and Tillman), and taking the odd player who has reached a very good level but not consistently (Cantwell). But, we absolutely can't and shouldn't fill our team with these kinds of players exclusively. It's too much of a risk for me hoping that all these players are suddenly going to click and push on. 

I would imagine there are players in Austria, Italy, Portugal etc where they are of the required standard and finished article to push us on to the next level domestically and won't cost a fortune and will have a decent resale value as not every player will be the next Bassey in terms of buy low, sell high. 

Just now, Smile said:

He changed his mind on maybe double or tripling his wages. I would not go near one of their supporters there's a completely different level of hatred now from filth that support them from McCanns days.

I think he got wind of something bigger happening in the summer and that's why he changed his mind, obviously don't know but just surmising but given the amount of stick the Millwall fans were giving their board over it I'd imagine if it was something as simple as a failed medical they'd have told them.

I'm no sure the level of hatred is any different now, the only difference is with social media you've got access to it 24/7 

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

We will mate tbh the 2 he’s brought in, in cantwell and raskin look the part, we are linked with the Swansea striker again (don’t know how we would afford him though) who has a brilliant record in the championship.

we will sign boys who although technically a project are more than good enough/ready for up here 

If the new signings impress as much as Cantwell and Raskin I'll be delighted.

It just seems on reading that that we've kinda ruled out players in their late 20s who are as good as they're going to be. There's nothing wrong with older heads, "finished" articles too but we seem to have ruled out this market.

Look across the city at their CF who was signed on a 4 year deal aged 26.5.  He's at the peak of his career and isn't likely to move upwards in club profile if he leaves aged 30. 

Our budget will be restrictive, just don't like the idea of not considering finished articles as this restricts our options further again.

3 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I think he got wind of something bigger happening in the summer and that's why he changed his mind, obviously don't know but just surmising but given the amount of stick the Millwall fans were giving their board over it I'd imagine if it was something as simple as a failed medical they'd have told them.

I'm no sure the level of hatred is any different now, the only difference is with social media you've got access to it 24/7 

The level of hatred isn't different, they carried makeshift coffins to our stadium and hung effigies of Rangers supporters and Orangemen in their stadium.

2 hours ago, gogzy said:

I get where you are coming from but...

We have been reasonably successful in the past by hoovering up some of the best of the rest in Scotland.

Some great players have came to us from other spl teams.  I wouldn't be too quick to rule them all out so easily.

Don’t disagree but we wont have the money to shop in SPL now.

Duk would likely go for £3 millionish, that’s a massive gamble for us considering he’s had 1 decent season.

14 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

It's about levels and where we want to compete. 

His line about Mason Mount is a bit silly on Beale's part as we all know that we're never going to get a player of his level and calibre at the peak of his career. 

What we should be able to attract (i would think), would be a level of player below the very elite, and absolutely a finished article (but not in the 'finished' category like Ramsay).

I get his point about taking young players with potential and helping them realise it (like Raskin and Tillman), and taking the odd player who has reached a very good level but not consistently (Cantwell). But, we absolutely can't and shouldn't fill our team with these kinds of players exclusively. It's too much of a risk for me hoping that all these players are suddenly going to click and push on. 

I would imagine there are players in Austria, Italy, Portugal etc where they are of the required standard and finished article to push us on to the next level domestically and won't cost a fortune and will have a decent resale value as not every player will be the next Bassey in terms of buy low, sell high. 

Some of the Scandinavian and Eastern European teams appear to have exactly those types of players. And likely within our budget.

45 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Beale:

“I was in co-charge when Ross was here and it’s not just Ross or myself who decides. It’s a committee and we recommend players. The finances have to go in front of the board because we work under a budget. The idea that it’s just down to one person is far-fetched.

“It’s about a group of people coming together. Do we always get our first choices? No, because I’d like to get Mason Mount from Chelsea. I’ve worked with him and I like him. But we always have to take an element of risk. Sometimes we have to get a broken child. Sometimes we get a player before he’s flourished and we help them do that.

“You see an opportunity to bring a player here and ask, would he fit? No manager in Scotland gets to buy the finished article.

“That’s why this country has produced fantastic managers because you’ve got to make the most of a small outlay.

“We have to be realistic. Is the next Brazilian golden child coming to Scotland to play for Rangers when there’s lots of other places he could go? We have to recruit in the right areas. We have to know what has worked in the past.

“Recruitment is something I love to do. Even when I was at Chelsea, I was recruiting for the academy. At Liverpool, I was involved and here before. I’ve just come through a summer window at QPR where I had to work with very little and make the most of it. I’ve come out of a window here where the two players we’ve signed (Todd Cantwell and Nico Raskin) everyone is really positive on.

“I want to have a big influence on the players I coach every day. If I’m going to be judged on the outcome, I want to at least be a huge part of the conversation about which players come in.

“With the ideas I have in my head for Rangers and where I want to take the team, I articulate that
outwards and I’m part of that recruitment

Mason Mount would be a no from me as doesn’t score enough goals.

22 minutes ago, Smile said:

The level of hatred isn't different, they carried makeshift coffins to our stadium and hung effigies of Rangers supporters and Orangemen in their stadium.

The effigies were too much for sure but was anybody really that annoyed about the coffin? That's a standard wind up for what we were going through at the time, only thing that annoyed me about that was Whyte wasn't in it.

Have you forgot about the 90s? Cunts were getting murdered after games