General Transfer Talk

Broxi

1 hour ago, OrangeRab said:

We’d honestly be better just binning our recruitment team. Googling the J league team of the season and top goal scorers. Take whatever the kitty is, approach each club with a 2-3 million bid for each player. Work our way down the list and take the 5 best we can get.

If you can’t beat em, join em so they say.

That Mitoma boy for Brighton who was signed for 2.5 million is now being valued at over 35.

It’s not really an emerging market anymore. Loads of clubs are signing players from there and they are doing well so the prices in that market are only going to increase.

There’s the boy Nakamura at LASK too. 25 goals and 9 assists in 62 games from the wing. Being linked with Liverpool and Brighton.

27 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It’s not really an emerging market anymore. Loads of clubs are signing players from there and they are doing well so the prices in that market are only going to increase.

There’s the boy Nakamura at LASK too. 25 goals and 9 assists in 62 games from the wing. Being linked with Liverpool and Brighton.

Better late than never!

I think the A-League is the emerging market we should look at. 

Been a steady stream of players started coming over here from that league over the past couple of years, and although they have varying degrees of quality, all of them are grafters who work like fuck and have no problems adapting to or dealing with the physical nature of Scottish Football.

If we scout right and makes sure the players have a bit of technical quality too then I think that’s the untapped market where we could pick up a couple of gems from.

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think the A-League is the emerging market we should look at. 

Been a steady stream of players started coming over here from that league over the past couple of years, and although they have varying degrees of quality, all of them are grafters who work like fuck and have no problems adapting to or dealing with the physical nature of Scottish Football.

If we scout right and makes sure the players have a bit of technical quality too then I think that’s the untapped market where we could pick up a couple of gems from.

Was something we dabbled with under McCoist (Matt McKay, Fran Stella and trying to get Mat Ryan)

9 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The Scandinavian market was the emerging market of choice about 15 years ago.

We have people who don’t want us to spend 5 million on Tillman, well there are 18-22 year olds who are still little more than potential leaving Denmark, Norway & Sweden for a lot more than that now.

People seem to think young 21 year olds, playing regular first-team football and performing well can be picked up for £1m.

Times have changed.

3 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

People seem to think young 21 year olds, playing regular first-team football and performing well can be picked up for £1m.

Times have changed.

The football world has changed and an emerging market is pretty much a thing of the past now. There aren’t many more markets left to appear out of nowhere because the footballing world is shrinking and footage is more readily available than it’s ever been before.

The snobbery surrounding the J-League is passing with every player who comes over and does well and that’s why I think the A-League is the next, and maybe final, place that will truly become an emerging market. 

We need to be ahead of the curve and start shopping there, not dig for scraps in markets that clubs have already started bleeding dry :lol:

16 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The football world has changed and an emerging market is pretty much a thing of the past now. There aren’t many more markets left to appear out of nowhere because the footballing world is shrinking and footage is more readily available than it’s ever been before.

The snobbery surrounding the J-League is passing with every player who comes over and does well and that’s why I think the A-League is the next, and maybe final, place that will truly become an emerging market. 

We need to be ahead of the curve and start shopping there, not dig for scraps in markets that clubs have already started bleeding dry :lol:

Think A league is a market worth looking at for sure. 

I think the J league is far from being overly saturated yet. Only one transfer fee over 10 million and a handful over 5.

It’s a country of 125 million people without a lot of other sports to compete with (vs Australia 25). So there’s probably a bit more depth in numbers coming through. 

Definitely a market we should be looking at. Will be interesting to see how the hearts and Motherwell signing get on next year. 

Mind when we got linked with Gustavo Hamer a year or two back, about the time we all expected Kamara to move on for decent money?

Apparently he’s been one of the best midfielders in the Championship this season, while we still have Kamara who’s now well out of the picture and who we are basically going to be trying to give away this Summer because he’s gone stale as fuck.

That’s been the problem with our transfer business over the past few years. Haven’t sold assets at the right time, they’ve lost their hunger and have stagnated or regressed and now we are left with a bunch of players who are worth fuck all in a squad that needs a huge rebuild and a lot of money to do it.

Utterly utterly embarrassing the way the people who run our club used to hype up Ross Wilson and the job he did. His squad management and future planning was a fucking disgrace and he’s bailed now because how bad it’s been and the mess it’s left us in is about to properly come to the surface. 

For all the wailing about signing lower league English players, it seems that the majority (excluding Simpson, Ofoborh and Davies) of our signings from down south have all been pretty solid. 

Goldson
Aribo
Bassey
Balogun
Lawrence
Arfield
Cantwell
Kent
Defoe

Arguably Kent was the only expensive/overpriced one on that list (so much for that market being a ripoff) and if anything, it's a far better hit rate than when we go abroad for signings. Whether that’s just because our foreign scouts are shite, who knows :lol:

9 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

For all the wailing about signing lower league English players, it seems that the majority (excluding Simpson, Ofoborh and Davies) of our signings from down south have all been pretty solid. 

Goldson
Aribo
Bassey
Balogun
Lawrence
Arfield
Cantwell
Kent
Defoe

Arguably Kent was the only expensive/overpriced one on that list (so much for that market being a ripoff) and if anything, it's a far better hit rate than when we go abroad for signings. Whether that’s just because our foreign scouts are shite, who knows :lol:

We’ve generally done okay when we’ve gone into that market, but I think there’s definitely a worry that we lean on it too much especially now it’s players who would be out of our normal price range if they weren’t broken or had lost their way that we seem to be targeting. We’ve seen how badly that can wrong so many times that I don’t think you can blame people for having concerns about it as a strategy again.

For what it’s worth I think Dowell would do well for us. His stats aren’t the worst for a guy who’s played in middling teams for most of his career. Put him in an attack minded team like ours and I would be confident he could be a good replacement for Arfield.

3 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

A-League has a bit to go in terms of players that are ready to come to us and do a job.

It's been a while since an A-League player left to go to Europe at a level that would enhance us. Aaron Mooy is really the only one who left the A-League in the last few years and hit the ground running at a good level at Huddersfield, and even then that was his second shot at it. 

Players like Matthew Leckie, Tom Rogic, and Matt Ryan took a bit to get going.