General Transfer Talk

Broxi

1 hour ago, OrangeRab said:

Also Tav might only have a season left in his legs before we might look to move him on. He’s not going to rock up and start down south. So being back up to Tav for a year, playing some cup games and some minutes to give Tav a rest. And not having the pressure to start every match at 19 sounds like a pretty good plan for him. 

If a player comes and performs for us, they know that we will look to shift them on to richer clubs (like Patterson) anyways.

Not as good a plan as going to a club in one of Europe’s elite leagues for life changing money and an opportunity to train, learn and develop under players, coaches and staff  who are better than anything we have. 

There’s a reason that most talented Scottish kids are ending up going South these days. It’s not because we don’t spot them, we aren’t interested or because we let them slip through re net, it’s just that going to England is where they every player wants to go these days.

28 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Not as good a plan as going to a club in one of Europe’s elite leagues for life changing money and an opportunity to train, learn and develop under players, coaches and staff  who are better than anything we have. 

There’s a reason that most talented Scottish kids are ending up going South these days. It’s not because we don’t spot them, we aren’t interested or because we let them slip through re net, it’s just that going to England is where they every player wants to go these days.

A lot of truth in that. I think there is still an element that we don’t spot them (quick enough) or are smart enough about tapping them up or pre contracts. It’s a much more efficient market now. Gone are the days when you can wait until a player is fully established at 22, winning poty awards and are club captains. Like Brown was 22 when he went to celtic, Armstrong 23. Thompson was 23 etc. 

But it’s still our domestic league and there’s no excuses as we have much more visibility on all young players in the league. I remember when we sold Patterson I said we should have tapped up Ramsay that January. (Was laughed at on here that a sheep player wasn’t good enough to play for us). Then another 6 months and a ypoty award and he went for a hefty price to Liverpool. You have to be better. Not that the sheep would have sold to us. But celtic probably could have got him for 2-3 million. celtic should have signed McGinn.

We could have tried to sign hickey or Ferguson.

Not sure how Doig slipped through either but we spunked a load of money a punt on Yilmaz. 

49 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

So who is gonna bring in money from that squad? 

Mate I'm routinely stating the value of the squad is low. From the pov that Beale has a huge job and his starting position compared to the warchest Postecogliu had. You're preaching to the converted.

My only issue was with you saying we'd no sellable assets when clearly Kamara, Hagi, Davies, arguably Barisic Colak and Lundstram, plus in due course Raskin and Cantwell imo will all bring in transfers into the million(s).

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Mate I'm routinely stating the value of the squad is low. From the pov that Beale has a huge job and his starting position compared to the warchest Postecogliu had. You're preaching to the converted.

My only issue was with you saying we'd no sellable assets when clearly Kamara, Hagi, Davies, arguably Barisic Colak and Lundstram, plus in due course Raskin and Cantwell imo will all bring in transfers into the million(s).

I just think we need to really aim to bring in younger players with sell on value for the clubs transfer strategy in the mould of a Calvin bassey. Cantwell and Raskin are great pieces of business but the names mentioned before that I'd be surprised if we were able to offload them.l for profit compared to what we paid. We have too many players we've payed money for who will be difficult to get off the books. 

The tarriers have hit markets where players have come in and been successful and will make them millions in profit. We should be replicating that but I feel were stuck in certain markets and have fallen asleep in that department.

7 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

English clubs scout up here like they never have before, especially since Brexit. Most of them will already be as aware of 13-14 year old kids who are talented as we are.

That’s all fine and well about Calvin Ramsay but 3.5 million upfront and probably £15,000 a week in wages for him is a first team level player for us. It’s nothing more than a punt for a Liverpool. That’s where English clubs will always have an advantage over us now when it comes to targeting young players from within our league. They have riches we can only dream of.

Josh Doig was the same. In hindsight it’s easy to say can’t believe we signed Yilmaz over him but Yilmaz was playing for a bigger club, in a better league and at a higher level than Doig was. There isn’t one person on here who if offered the choice last summer would picked a left back playing for a middling SPFL side over a Turkish international left back playing for one of Turkey’s big three.

Yes there’s guys we should have signed, but we also can’t afford to fill our squad with any talented 19-20 year old who breaks through in Scotland on first team wages who are still just potential in the hope that they turn good.

I agree of course English clubs have more money. So when it comes down to it if you have no edge over them and try sign players like Doig, Hickey, Ramsay, Ferguson etc once they are already established. Then you lose.

So your edge has to be in spotting them earlier, in having better contacts. All that stuff. 

Look at Postecoglou for celtic. He has a bit of edge from his time in Japan and they are exploiting it. There’s no reason we shd just accept that we can’t give ourselves an edge in our own domestic market. 

We have to do better in a lot of areas of our scouting department. Both domestically and finding an edge in newer markets like the J league. 

I would have chosen Doig tbh (bit of height and physicality in a small team would have suited us well). Can’t speak for others but team of the year, ypoty. Doesn’t need any time to get up to speed with the league. Only 19 so if he’s already voted into the team of the year. Safe bet he will probably be good enough when he’s 21-22.

Sign Tillman and he almost instantly doubles in value. A 20 year old with his numbers is worth money, another season under his belt, hopefully a league win and bigger performances in bigger games. Very high ceiling. 

Raskin and Cantwell have potential for value. Hopefully if Yilmaz cements the LB spot he will be worth a penny or two. 

Souttar maybe if he gets a run but wishful thinking. 

But yeah it’s not an amazing situation to be in. We really need more Raskin and Tillman signings. Willock is a decent age, but as for other targets we should be aiming for 25 and under really for most. We already have a lot of ‘experience’ in the squad 

45 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Sign Tillman and he almost instantly doubles in value. A 20 year old with his numbers is worth money, another season under his belt, hopefully a league win and bigger performances in bigger games. Very high ceiling. 

Raskin and Cantwell have potential for value. Hopefully if Yilmaz cements the LB spot he will be worth a penny or two. 

But yeah it’s not an amazing situation to be in. We really need more Raskin and Tillman signings. Willock is a decent age, but as for other targets we should be aiming for 25 and under really for most. We already have a lot of ‘experience’ in the squad 

Yeh happy to get older players in for frees or loans. But if we’re spending fees it should be for younger players. I’d definitely spend the money on Tillman. 

7 million spent on Davies and Colak is a lot for 2 players that were unlikely to ever recoup a fee for.

At least if a young player comes off that can be your next 10 million player. 

Always thought experience was a bit overrated. Still get nightmares when we started Arfield and Davis in the cup against Hibs. Experience galore and they got absolutely pumped by their midfield. Quality first and foremost.

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

For me its looking extremely unlikely Tillman is signing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him being loaned out to a more prominent league next season with the same situation. If he was available for less and without the Bayern buyback clause I think we would've bit.

12 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

For me its looking extremely unlikely Tillman is signing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him being loaned out to a more prominent league next season with the same situation. If he was available for less and without the Bayern buyback clause I think we would've bit.

Without the buyback clause that we agreed to?

2 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Without the buyback clause that we agreed to?

At the time with a Sporting Director who is no longer at the club. Yes, that one. Don't think the current manager would see the benefit in such an outlay and time developing just for a possible under market value sale in future.

28 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

He's out of contract next year, and we've no idea what the clause is.

36 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

At the time with a Sporting Director who is no longer at the club. Yes, that one. Don't think the current manager would see the benefit in such an outlay and time developing just for a possible under market value sale in future.

The benefit is he's our best player.