Dessers

BigBearButt

2 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I didn't say 20 league goals, I just said 20 goals, just like what Dessers managed to get past this season.

Make yourself clearer in future then.

22 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Make yourself clearer in future then.

Words matter, if I meant league I'd have said league, I didn't though, I said 20 goals, because that's what I meant.

7 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Words matter, if I meant league I'd have said league, I didn't though, I said 20 goals, because that's what I meant.

You had a very good post in the ‘Get this sorted’ thread.

6 hours ago, left winger said:

We can trust Shankland at CL and EL level next season? Remind me of his record in those competitions?

Missing my simple point, Shankland takes his chance as soon as it presents itself, Dessers always wants a another touch or three , look at the  many times he could have hit  it first time or taken one touch, that chance at CP wasnt an abberation. 

7 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Shankland ship has sailed for me. It was January or never imo

We need better 

I don’t believe Shankland is/was the answer but genuine question (not just to you but all the others that have said similar).

Why has the ship sailed if Shankland has:

A. continued scoring at the same rate since January, and

B. will be significantly cheaper to buy now we are 6 months further down the line?

9 minutes ago, beararse said:

I don’t believe Shankland is/was the answer but genuine question (not just to you but all the others that have said similar).

Why has the ship sailed if Shankland has:

A. continued scoring at the same rate since January, and

B. will be significantly cheaper to buy now we are 6 months further down the line?

Shankland was about January as we needed someone who would be an instant success as he knew the league and expectation, we were clawing our way into a title race that looked a mile away in October.

We now have a bit of time to think about it and see if there is better value out there.

He will be cheaper but if he stays and scores a load of goals again to secure Hearts 3rd and straight entry to Europe then whatever that is worth I would assume they will want at least that and if they can’t get a new contract out him, then he walks away at 31 with no deal.

I think the only party that needs this to be sorted ASAP is Shankland not us or Hearts.

3 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Missing my simple point, Shankland takes his chance as soon as it presents itself, Dessers always wants a another touch or three , look at the  many times he could have hit  it first time or taken one touch, that chance at CP wasnt an abberation. 

You said we could trust Shankland at CL and EL level. There’s absolutely nothing to back that up.

5 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Shankland doesn’t tho’. It’s the perception he does: believe it or not, statistically in terms of shooting he’s less accurate than Dessers.

Shankland netted 24 times in the league, scoring 50% of his penalties taken (3 from 6).

Dessers didn’t take any penalties in the league as far as I can recall but had he taken out penalties and only scored half of them he’d be sitting with the exact same goals tally as Shankland (or 1 below if you don’t round up the figure). Hardly a black and white contrast between the two.

There is even less daylight between the pair when you consider the  host of high profile chances Dessers has contrived to miss. Score them and score the odd penalty and he’d be streets ahead of everyone in the league.

That aside, based on goals from open play, Dessers would be joint 2nd in the SPFL scoring charts alongside O’Riley and 5 behind Shankland.

Dessers played 999 LESS minutes than Shankland (ie effectively 11 games less) and  945 mins fewer than O’Riley. 

Despite what folk might think, I don’t have a hard on for Dessers. I know we need better, but this whole ‘Shankland takes his chances’ patter is nonsense.

1 hour ago, beararse said:

Shankland doesn’t tho’. It’s the perception he does: believe it or not, statistically in terms of shooting he’s less accurate than Dessers.

Shankland netted 24 times in the league, scoring 50% of his penalties taken (3 from 6).

Dessers didn’t take any penalties in the league as far as I can recall but had he taken out penalties and only scored half of them he’d be sitting with the exact same goals tally as Shankland (or 1 below if you don’t round up the figure). Hardly a black and white contrast between the two.

There is even less daylight between the pair when you consider the  host of high profile chances Dessers has contrived to miss. Score them and score the odd penalty and he’d be streets ahead of everyone in the league.

That aside, based on goals from open play, Dessers would be joint 2nd in the SPFL scoring charts alongside O’Riley and 5 behind Shankland.

Dessers played 999 LESS minutes than Shankland (ie effectively 11 games less) and  945 mins fewer than O’Riley. 

Despite what folk might think, I don’t have a hard on for Dessers. I know we need better, but this whole ‘Shankland takes his chances’ patter is nonsense.

You've answered it yourself, you can't just go well Dessers would have scored more if he'd taken his good chances. He didn't.

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

You've answered it yourself, you can't just go well Dessers would have scored more if he'd taken his good chances. He didn't.

I think this perception that Shankland doesn’t miss, and anything Dessers missed Shankland would have buried is daft though.

Shankland misses as well, and is also considerably less mobile than Dessers. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

I think this perception that Shankland doesn’t miss, and anything Dessers missed Shankland would have buried is daft though.

Shankland misses as well, and is also considerably less mobile than Dessers. 

It is, but Shankland would also get more chances for us and likely score more.

Where has the Shankland isn't mobile stuff came from though? He plays a different role against us than other teams and even played out wide for Hearts.

19 minutes ago, left winger said:

Conference League.

Wild to try and put that down with conference league.

Any number of teams in that competition that would piss all over the rest of Scottish football nine times out of ten.

His return was respectable for Hearts. 

5 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Wild to try and put that down with conference league.

Any number of teams in that competition that would piss all over the rest of Scottish football nine times out of ten.

His return was respectable for Hearts. 

His return was respectable. Respectable in the Conference League doesn’t mean he cold be trusted in the Champions League or Europa League.

2 minutes ago, left winger said:

His return was respectable. Respectable in the Conference League doesn’t mean he cold be trusted in the Champions League or Europa League.

The gap to Europa League isn't much bigger to be honest, much of the same teams mixing between the two competitions back and forth. 

He'd do well for Rangers in a rebuilt squad that gives service. I think he's more than proved he can score goals against any opposition he's been faced with.

Don’t want Desssers or Shankland at the club at this point. 

BUT  if we’d tried to get Shankland in January we are probably scraping over the line as Champions and into the CL cash. 

With Shankland in the side we are probably getting at least a point in the Motherwell fiasco, we’re definitely scoring more than once in the first half against Ross County and we’re probably nicking a win at Dundee. 

Shankland was January- not now 

2 hours ago, beararse said:

Shankland doesn’t tho’. It’s the perception he does: believe it or not, statistically in terms of shooting he’s less accurate than Dessers..

And if dessers hadn't fucked up many chances to shoot the stats might look different, all they times deserve cuts back and flops or tried to go round the keeper and flopped etc

5 minutes ago, Swagger said:

Don’t want Desssers or Shankland at the club at this point. 

BUT  if we’d tried to get Shankland in January we are probably scraping over the line as Champions and into the CL cash. 

With Shankland in the side we are probably getting at least a point in the Motherwell fiasco, we’re definitely scoring more than once in the first half against Ross County and we’re probably nicking a win at Dundee. 

Shankland was January- not now 

Doubtful, our defence absolutely shitting the bed cost us just as much, unless shankland could play right back

2 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Doubtful, our defence absolutely shitting the bed cost us just as much, unless shankland could play right back

A mess all over the pitch but we could have maybe scraped over the line. 

1 hour ago, J-Maestro said:

I’ve not really.

Discounting penalties, for All the whining about Dessers, Shankland ain’t substantially better. 

1 hour ago, J-Maestro said:

It is, but Shankland would also get more chances for us and likely score more.

Where has the Shankland isn't mobile stuff came from though? He plays a different role against us than other teams and even played out wide for Hearts.

So Shankland would get more chances for us than Dessers? 
Whats that based on? A feeling?

Also, there is only 3.25% between them in terms of conversion rates.

So what’s that, 3 more goals per  season assuming they hit 100 shots on target.

Plus, despite playing nearly 1000 minutes more this season Shankland has 1 more assist than Dessers in the SPFL.

There is barely any daylight between them in terms of output, despite what your eyes might tell you. 

It just so happens that we all see Dessers’ fuck ups in real time and debate how they impact on results yet we only really pay attention to Shankland’s screamers, regardless of whether they are match winners or not.