*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

1 minute ago, Boybluesy said:

I don’t get why Cantwell played left side or Matondo on the right. They didn’t improve the team. Dessers actually contributed to their goal turning into eight men when he should have laid it back.

Cantwell played central

We really have to focus more on keeping possession, especially in Europe. The top teams do it so well and even some lesser teams.

We cant be coming in to these ties depending on workrate and the crowd to get us over the line.

3 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

should have won that.. Bizaare team selection and lack of early subs.

There were no real options on the bench due to injuries.  It's why we had a not fully fit Cantwell and Roofe have to come off the bench.  If we had a fully fit squad there's no chance we would've started with that line up but can't blame the manager.  He's doing an amazing job in the circumstances. 

We have very little quality up front. A lot of the goals were scoring is coming from our press, intensity, organisation.

The legs were gone tonight and then we just didn’t have anything after that.

Dundee is a massive game

1 minute ago, Vision said:

We really have to focus more on keeping possession, especially in Europe. The top teams do it so well and even some lesser teams.

We cant be coming in to these ties depending on workrate and the crowd to get us over the line.

When teams have better footballers than us and spend nigh on 100 million then you need things like workrate and the crowd to negate their superior ability. That's always been the case 

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Manager is doing a ridiculously good job with the very blunt tools he has to work with.

A blind man running for a bus can see that. I'm going to give folk the benefit of the doubt in terms of unjustified anger or just being lagered up.

Clement is working miracles. I fucking love him.

Heads will be clearer in the morning.

They’l be some on here delighted that we are out of europa the night. Thought it was hard to take losing that goal and the tie in the manner we did. They were there for the taking. Possibly an injury too far. 

Diamonde and Dessers should have been changed at 60mins. 

thought wright was ok. 

are we finally finished with the Dessers fiasco it’s not working 

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

This will be controversial but Dessers offered more than Roofe who was shit yet again.

Don’t think it’s controversial at all, Dessers isn’t the answer but roofe literally offered nothing when he came on….granted we didn’t play the ball into the box where his finishing would have made the difference.

Just now, SkylineBlue said:

If Roofe is fit, I'd start him. 

We're going to have to play Dessers against Dundee and Hibs and rely on other players scoring. We can't carry him against the scum.

Yeah, he’s a player that needs the games were we get 25 chances and he’ll score a couple.

A complete man short in tougher games.

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The thought of him against the tarriers makes me shudder.

A complete passenger.

Agree with you, he's not moving or creating space for others at the moment.

The alternative is probably Silva, but it stifles any creativity from him, and we can't rely on Roofe being fit for 90 minutes without breaking down again. 

3 minutes ago, delparlane said:

Just fucking sick to my back teeth of that same old tired song. We’re just criminally wasteful in the final third far too many times. Yes, we are depleted, and yes that is a very good team, but ffs we gifted them all three of their goals over the two legs and wasted chance after chance and corner after corner. Same old same old. Pissed off because we could have taken their further in spite of the wage gap.

Och well it is what is is. Anger born of frustration, and it will pass. 
Just expected much better, that’s all.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  More frustrated with the part we played - same tactics with corners, wasted chances etc.  I actually think we had the quality there to beat the team on the night.  We had the game under control, but even Ally was shouting at half time regarding our highline and the danger of getting stung on the counter.  Fundamentally, what desperate us on the night.  

11 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

We weren't beaten by a better team, There was nothing in it between both teams over two legs. You win some, you lose some in that scenario.

I do think they were the better side overall. All about opinions

Some amount of shite being written tonight, get a grip ffs, we worked hard but unfortunately we dont have the quality required at this level, we had nothing up front but worked hard, yet again John Lundstram was excellent, this team need rested and need to raise their game on Sunday to go into the break on top.

4 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

We definitely need the international break to give a few players a breather. 

We're stretching the squad so thin atm and the quality will inevitably drop when we have to rely on guys who normally wouldnt get much of a look in. 

They've done us proud since Clement has come in, just need one more push against Dundee, and hopefully we get more players back after the break for the run in. 

It is amazing we got as far as we did in the EUROPA with the players Phil has to work with, and as you say Sunday is so important to get to the two week break for most of our players. 

Didn't hold up the ball well enough. 

The weather didn't help.

Just didnt see where we were going to score from.

Lots of crosses from deep and corners - we have no on who will head or cmgo challange a CB.

Their Cbs had a fairly easy night heading most things away.

Lot of players looked desperate for a break and again gave what they could.

Unlucky over both legs but kinda out with a wimper at home.

Big Phil keeping us competitive against a huge spending side with a threadbare squad.

6 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

I'm out the match thread for the night, some utter fucking nonsense getting posted and I can't be arsed. 

Same. I'm fucking proud of our lads. They gave their all and were running on empty at the end. Can't be arsed with all these greeting faced cunts.