Jump to content

Ibrox Development


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

The plan is to raise the capacity to around 60,000. Would need to take out the screens, and fill in those corners I would think. Was a pink elephant doing that in the 1st place, should always have been made into seats.

The only thing those screens are good for is the replay when we score. They don’t even video the half time draw with an x player pitch side. Ffs

the anticipated revenue from advertising has fell way short because nobody gives a fuck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

The plan is to raise the capacity to around 60,000. Would need to take out the screens, and fill in those corners I would think. Was a pink elephant doing that in the 1st place, should always have been made into seats.

Don't think it's as simple as that; iirc the screens are integrated into structures that are load bearing for all 3 stands.  Seem to remember something about a "goal post design".  Would be very costly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Drumloyal said:

Don't think it's as simple as that; iirc the screens are integrated into structures that are load bearing for all 3 stands.  Seem to remember something about a "goal post design".  Would be very costly.

Very. We could put seats up to a point but if corners are to be filled in external frame works will be needed to hold up the three roofs

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

The plan is to raise the capacity to around 60,000. Would need to take out the screens, and fill in those corners I would think. Was a pink elephant doing that in the 1st place, should always have been made into seats.

I think it would be quite difficult structurally to do that (presuming you want to avoid any supports blocking the field of vision).  Not saying it couldn’t be done but it would likely be pretty expensive to achieve.

I wonder if the existing capacity is not the optimum for the club to maintain the high level of season ticket holders they currently have (with the benefit that provides for getting money in upfront at the start of each season).  There is a risk that if you increase the capacity, sufficient to satisfy completely the demand for STs and remove the waiting list, that fans may choose to go on a game to game basis again (particularly after a bad season or two).

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Drumloyal said:

Don't think it's as simple as that; iirc the screens are integrated into structures that are load bearing for all 3 stands.  Seem to remember something about a "goal post design".  Would be very costly.

What did BVB do to fill in the corners of their ground? Iirc the designs were originally pretty identical, Archibald Leitch specialities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

Correction. Don't think they did.

Nah they didn't, I think I ballsed up there, think Leitch based Ibrox on Westfalenstadion (Signal Iduna Park) he didn't design theirs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

What did BVB do to fill in the corners of their ground? Iirc the designs were originally pretty identical, Archibald Leitch specialities.

I'm sure only the main stand retains any of Leitch's structural work, the other 3 were redeveloped completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the best/cheapest way to increase the capacity not just to make the enclosure safe standing again?

Not convinced the screens can be removed due to supporting the stands either side of them - Should have been made seats when it was getting built though

Adding a few hundred seats here n there isn’t the long term solution

There needs to be a structured plan to get the capacity over 65k

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Nah they didn't, I think I ballsed up there, think Leitch based Ibrox on Westfalenstadion (Signal Iduna Park) he didn't design theirs.

Leitch died in 1939. The Westafalen was built in the 70s. It's the modern Ibrox that was inspired by it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Super Ally Scores Again! said:

 

Not convinced the screens can be removed due to supporting the stands either side of them 

What kept them up before the corners were filled in?

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jack Sparrow said:

Leitch died in 1939.  The redevelopment didn't happen until the early 1980s.

The WFS in the 1980s looked like this - which is what our design of the 3 new stands was based on.  The WFS/SIP has totally changed since then.

spacer.png

When it opened in 1974, the Westfalenstadion set a new standard. But 20 years later, it was no longer competitive in terms of the comfort it offered. The stadium was rebuilt in several phases between 1995 and 2003, resulting in a venue that kept its character and became a landmark for the city of Dortmund. Since then, SIGNAL IDUNA PARK has been the only stadium in Germany with a capacity of more than 80,000.

First expansion phase in 1995: Upper tiers containing 6,000 seats each were added to the West and East Stands. The West Stand has since been home to the VIP stand; a VIP area has also been set up there.

Second expansion phase in 1999: The capacity was increased to 68,600. The South Stand, the epicentre of Dortmund's football enthusiasm, was increased to 24,454 places, making it Europe's largest standing-only tribune.

Third expansion phase in 2003: The works finished with the closure and the expansion of the corner areas. The corner pylons, which supported the roof inside the stadium, were replaced by the eight 62-metre-high yellow steel pylons installed on the exterior which have since become an integral element of Dortmund's skyline.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ahhh - makes more sense. Cheers 😁

It's the photo you've posted of the original which our three new stands were based on.

 

Screenshot_20240602-214145.thumb.png.b71fd4698e1ad846b5b712316d09d013.png

This is the exposed corners, which is I'm sure what our corners looked like with the roof load bearing points.

Just imagine a central load bearing beam running across diagonally with the screens etc, all locked into the roof, effectively making a solid structure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

What kept them up before the corners were filled in?

If you look at Ibrox there is black metal sheeting covering the steel that supports the roof these run down the outside of the stands and along the roof you just can't see them where the corners have been filled in

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lewislaudrup said:

If you look at Ibrox there is black metal sheeting covering the steel that supports the roof these run down the outside of the stands and along the roof you just can't see them where the corners have been filled in

I haven't a clue about stuff like that. Why would it prevent the screens being removed and the seating extended? I would have thought the corners could basically be reverted back to pre screens so changing the layout shouldn't be an issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Super Ally Scores Again! said:

Is the best/cheapest way to increase the capacity not just to make the enclosure safe standing again?

Not convinced the screens can be removed due to supporting the stands either side of them - Should have been made seats when it was getting built though

Adding a few hundred seats here n there isn’t the long term solution

There needs to be a structured plan to get the capacity over 65k

Think safe standing in this country has a seat and standing ratio of 1:1. Wouldn’t increase capacity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I haven't a clue about stuff like that. Why would it prevent the screens being removed and the seating extended? I would have thought the corners could basically be reverted back to pre screens so changing the layout shouldn't be an issue?

As you can see from pre screen pictures there are huge vertical black steel beams that hold the roof up. They're still there but just hidden behind all the grey cladding. 20240519_110706.thumb.jpg.0fe4e93c0c345e1e146c64870c7fa6b7.jpg

Removing the screens themselves would be simple enough, but there's no way to replace the black roof supports without redesigning or completely replacing the roofs 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 20 July 2024 15:00 Until 17:00
      0  
      Rangers v Manchester United
      Murrayfield Stadium
      Friendly Match
×
×
  • Create New...